Concerning Leather

driggans

Supporting
Reaction score
My wife and I were just commenting 3 days ago how beautiful, huge and healthy this toadstool leather coral has become over the past 2 years in my tank. Its even given rise to a small adjacent baby that is growing and healthy. The following day, a quarter sized area in the middle arose and there was clearly some tissue damage. None of the polyps that previously were nearly always fully extended are coming out at all anymore. The size of the tissue destruction is about 10 quarters now. If it were an acropora, I'd cut off the damaged section, but I've never had this happen with a leather before. Has anyone seen this happen before or have any suggestions?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-02-02 at 7.08.24 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-02-02 at 7.08.24 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot 2023-02-02 at 7.08.08 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-02-02 at 7.08.08 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 22
So two days ago, the tissue change seemed to stop its former progression and is represented in the first two images. One friend suggested the mushroom may be splitting. I've never lived through this before, so I have no idea, but I'm hopeful. Yesterday, there was no new necrotic tissue and I saw some mild polyp extension throughout most of the remaining unaffected portion of the mushroom top. This is the first time I'd seen polyp extension to any degree in about 5 days which is encouraging. The small patch of remaining necrotic tissue had mostly fallen off revealing a gray discolored area underneath.

Attachments

• IMG_5554.PNG
    IMG_5554.PNG
    1 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5555.PNG
    IMG_5555.PNG
    837.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5553.jpg
    IMG_5553.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 8
It looks like that part of it is irritated but these things are pretty hardy. I've never seen on split, typically they'll just bud off the bottom stalk. Keep an eye on it and if the dark spots continue to grow, I'd consider pulling it and "fragging" but cutting off a fresh chunk and sewing it to a plug of small rock. It can be a pain but I've had the most success with a need and thread.

It looks like that part of it is irritated but these things are pretty hardy. I've never seen on split, typically they'll just bud off the bottom stalk. Keep an eye on it and if the dark spots continue to grow, I'd consider pulling it and "fragging" but cutting off a fresh chunk and sewing it to a plug of small rock. It can be a pain but I've had the most success with a need and thread.
Good info!
I’m watching it closely and if things continue, I’ll do just as you described.
Thank you!

Back