Connecting 2 sumps. Any advice?

chony

Market
Reaction score
I am going to connect two sumps directly to each other with 2 2in bulkheads. One is about 8in higher than the other one. Top sump will be for filter sock/media, sump, heater,and reactors. That will feed into the lower sump which will be a big ole fuge and the return. Any advice or must haves for this? 2 20gal sumps for a 93 cube...
symeguqu.jpg
alt="" />
bytuve3y.jpg
alt="" />

IMG_20130816_181744_365_zps0cd33098.jpg
alt="" />

+1 I put the bulkhead as high as i could and then elevated the tank just enouhg to get the overflow over the wall of the main sump.

Edit: Although i guess your water height in the top tank would be a deciding factor.

are you going this route based on functionality or convenience (you want to reuse your exisitng sumps)?

I have thought about something like this to add a small frag tank to the system

Both but not because I'm hoarding sumps. Just want a large fuge and hate having all of my equipment crammed and no room to add anything. Plus this will add about 30-40 gal to my system.

Couldn't imagine 2 2in holes not being able to handle the flow. Maybe have 3 just to be super safe

Bulk heads came in.
y8uda6un.jpg
alt="" />
urutygyv.jpg
alt="" />
3uvyje2u.jpg
alt="" />

Didnt think the 2in would be as big. Don't think I will need 2. Any thoughts?

did you place a gasket in between the sumps as well? If not you will need to if the water in the lower sump ever reaches the threads of the bulkhead.

I filled the bottom sump to the top and noticed a leak so I added one to that side. Fixed. Do you think I should seal it an further than a gasket on each side?

Edit: I filled the bottom sump to the top and noticed a leak so I added one to that side. Fixed. Do you think I should seal it an further than a gasket on each side?

Edit: Slow 4g phone

You will need one in between the sumps because they may seal with out it due to the compression between the two but that can change at any time. The gasket will be there even if it does. Ask me how I know this:sad:

In addition, I would prefer the gasket between the sumps vs the Nut side of the bulkhead which really does nothing because of the threads.

I put a gasket on the nut side with some thread tape and I can fill up the bottom sump with no leaks...so far

I always want to have a double sump connection, to maintain stable water level for the skimmer, for avoid the skimmer going nuts after a power outage, and maintain the level without draining that section neither, I tough connecting them between a glass wall, like water coming out of that section just sliding trough one of the walls, I afraid that something could get stuck on some of the bulkheads, snails, (and family kids were always around the tank LOL)
Nice proyect you have there!

Thanks. It will be nice to not have all the equipment crammed into the return section. How many times I have had to pull everything out to unclog a reactor pump or return. I'm warming up my commander to the thought of plumbing my 65 gal to the 93 and having a super fuge. So far she is shutting it down real quick. "Can I finish the sentence at least!!!"

Back