Sump Plumbing

chemaholic

Staff member
Supporting
Reaction score
I am about to begin plumbing up the sump on my frag tank. The bulkheads will be for 1 1/2" lines. I plan to install a gate valve on one of the lines going to the sump as part of a Herbie overflow.

Typically when I do plumbing I prefer to use true union valves to make it easier to do maintenance. If I put a union on each side of the gate valve in order to make removal and replacement easier does anyone foresee any issues? I also plan to glue everything together since I want to minimize the possibility of leaks. Does anyone have suggestions or advice about how best to do this? I have experience with plumbing just not with reef tank plumbing.

Thanks!

I think it'll be fine but would of course leave room between the gate valves and unions... How big of unions will you be using? If the gate valve is pretty close to the sump, I'm not sure if you really need a union after it or even to glue that side (depending on layout, but thinking simply)?

No issues with adding union's on either side of the gate valve. It's not necessary to leave any space between the valve and the union. When gluing the pieces together I would hold the gate valve above the part that you're gluing into it, so that drips can't fall and land inside the gate valve.

Make sure all of the horizontal lines have a slight downward angle to them. You want water to drain out of the pipes in case of an extended power outage.

Back