Considering new pumps- need advise

rk4435

Market
Reaction score
I currently have one MP40 and one Jebao WP25. I seem to have pretty good flow in my 90 gallon tank but the Jebao is annoying because the power cord gets easily moved when I mess with my screen top to feed etc, then suddenly the head is aiming in a different direction and either pissing off coral or blasting the sand bed. I do love the rocking motion in the tank and it is due to the Jebao, I was not able to get that when I had the Vortech without the Jebao.

If I purchase another Vortech and use the sync mode would that give me the rocking in the tank that I seem to like so much?

Also, is there anyway an MP 10 could be used rather than springing for a second MP40? I have the current one at about 50% power, it gets pretty loud above that

rk4435;1003005 wrote: I currently have one MP40 and one Jebao WP25. I seem to have pretty good flow in my 90 gallon tank but the Jebao is annoying because the power cord gets easily moved when I mess with my screen top to feed etc, then suddenly the head is aiming in a different direction and either pissing off coral or blasting the sand bed. I do love the rocking motion in the tank and it is due to the Jebao, I was not able to get that when I had the Vortech without the Jebao.

If I purchase another Vortech and use the sync mode would that give me the rocking in the tank that I seem to like so much?

Also, is there anyway an MP 10 could be used rather than springing for a second MP40? I have the current one at about 50% power, it gets pretty loud above that

Glass thickness is the main question to this.

As for the noisy vortech , when is the last cleaning and re tightening if needed?

I'll have to check on my glass thickness, it's a standard Marineland 90 gallon. I take the wet side out every three months and give it a good cleaning.

My guess is yes you would get the rocking motion you like with the MP10 and MP 40 if your only using the 40 at 50%.
I'm using 2 MP 10's on a 4', 75 gallon and I think if would be enough flow if I didn't have a center overflow! Because of the center overflow I also run 2 RW8's in the back, low, shooting up. This is the only way I've found to get the circular flow motion I want. I like to "see" the debris floating directly into the overflow if it's air (water) born...
Just be sure to use the sticky square to secure the cord on the mp10. My glass is the thickest (5/8th) but it works.

Thanks Camellia. I'm having a hard time deciding. I really think that the Jebao has made my tank happier but I hate the cord and what happens when it gets bumped out of place. I'm watching a few used MP40s now.

I have a little diatom build up on the sand bed and after exhaustive troubleshooting I am sure the problem is dead spots.

You can definitely get a very nice pulsing wave with two vortechs in anti-sync mode. On my rimless tanks, I actually have to turn them down to about 50% to prevent water from splashing over the side. You already have half the combo... :)

tonymission;1003047 wrote: You can definitely get a very nice pulsing wave with two vortechs in anti-sync mode. On my rimless tanks, I actually have to turn them down to about 50% to prevent water from splashing over the side. You already have half the combo... :)

Agreed. One in my 90 cube will make enough waves to spill over the sides at 50% power.

OP, any chance the 40 your using is a "used" to you pump? Either that or deep clean and adjust it. I think there's plainly something wrong with that one.

It is used and I will admit that I'm not an expert on the modes. I played with it extensively when I first bought it and it was a serious upgrade over the web of Hydors that I had.

I was all set to buy buy new version Jebaos until I realized that the wireless was for syncing the units to pulse rather than wireless in the tank.

I have not removed the propeller at all. I take it out and soak it then clean with a toothbrush (don't tell my wife) until it looks good as new, then reinstall.

Is it dirty? I just cleaned both in one of the tanks and I had about 10 frags knocked over onto the tank bottom 30 minutes later. Still had to turn them down some.

The last cleaning was two weeks ago. It seems to kick butt but it never seemed to create a rocking in the tank like the Jebao. Most likely user error.

I think I'm going to go ahead and add another MP40w and see if syncing gives me what I like without the Jebao. I have no complaint about the Jebao's though aside form the cord in the tank. I had one malfunction last week after 18 months and easily ordered a replacement from another member to keep my mixing tank rocking.

rk4435;1003054 wrote: The last cleaning was two weeks ago. It seems to kick butt but it never seemed to create a rocking in the tank like the Jebao. Most likely user error.

I think I'm going to go ahead and add another MP40w and see if syncing gives me what I like without the Jebao. I have no complaint about the Jebao's though aside form the cord in the tank. I had one malfunction last week after 18 months and easily ordered a replacement from another member to keep my mixing tank rocking.

What mode do you run the Vortech in?

I keep it in pulse mode now, that was after playing with it for a while. Adding a second one will possibly change that. I'm really curious about the nutrient export mode.

rk4435;1003054 wrote: The last cleaning was two weeks ago. It seems to kick butt but it never seemed to create a rocking in the tank like the Jebao. Most likely user error.

Bang for for buck if flow is the only thing of interest the Jebao's rock for sure. However if cords, heat, electricity, control, flexibility, management...are a concern than stick with the vortech's. I'd start by thoroughly cleaning the wet side again and taking the impeller out to inspect and clean.

rk4435;1003059 wrote: I keep it in pulse mode now, that was after playing with it for a while. Adding a second one will possibly change that. I'm really curious about the nutrient export mode.

I run nutrient mode for about 60% of the day. Maybe unconventional, but I like the madness, and the corals and fish seem to also. :)

I found a good tutorial on breaking down the Vortechs so I'm going to definitely do that with the current one and the new one when it arrives.

Thanks for all of the advise.

Back