120 gallon set-up
Reef Octopus protein skimmer
Reef Octopus calcium reactor
Milwaukee CO2 regulator + ph controller
Aqueon Pro Flex Sump with Coralife Turbosea 790p pump
dual 400 watt metal halides w/ actinics and moon lights
JBJ Arctica chiller
Other odds and ends.

My tank (pictured below) has Candy Canes, Duncan corals, green star polyps, leathers, hammer corals, favia, open brain, Cinnamon palythoas, sun coral (orange and pink), plus a couple of sps corals, birds nest, bali slimer, etc.....basically a lot of whatever looked cool at the time.

Well my reef ego was ruined by 3 things.
1: Aiptasia has been present (9 peppermint shrimp did nothing for the plethora, a CBB fish did not survive long - it was immediately bullied by a punk damsel and within a day lost a tail fin. Stress ultimately took it down)
2: realizing education is key and a I am a mere beginner in the hobby.
3: I had the opportunity to see Reeferman's tank first hand. I am a humble peasant to this guy's knowledge and he has inspired me to take this rascal to the next level.

A few goals I want to achieve.
1: I would like to have a predominate SPS tank with a select few LPS, brain's, soft stuff.
2: be pest free. Mainly aiptasia and mantis shrimp free. I have recently located 1 very small mantis shrimp. mean little fella.

Now, HOW to get there?

Replace all the rock with pest free rock?
Frag everything and nuke my rock?

There is tons of potential and for some reason my creativity is slacking.

Anyone have any guidance or suggestions? I know there has to be a few folks that have been in my predicament.

Thanks.

IMAG0182.jpg
alt="" />

Your tank looks pretty amazing to me! I've had great luck with pep shrimps.

I'd try to trap the damsel and sump him and get another cbb.

FF337;698511 wrote: They are about the size of a reeses cup ;)

which I'm now craving.. thanks

I think your tank looks great as is.. If I were you, I would continue with the peppermint shrimp and try some chemical warfare on top of it. The peppermint shrimp may be eating the aiptasia, and you simply have too much of it for them to keep up. Mix a sodium hydroxide solution with water (2 NaOH : 1 H2O) turn off all of your pumps or any source of flow, and use a syringe to squirt about 1 drop in front of the aiptasia. Aiptasia are constantly sucking in water and moving it through their bodies, so they will have no choice but to suck in this stuff, which will kill it almost immediately. you have a fairly large tank, so try and kill about 20, wait 2-3 days and repeat. This stuff wont mess your ph much because it is salt based and will decompose quickly, but I wouldn't use a ton at once just because it is so strong. Also, be careful to keep it off other corals because it doesn't discriminate. It could take off your skin so don't get it on you. If it drifts on to something else, just use your hand to brush it off (waving in the water) When you cant see the aiptasia anymore, your shrimp should be able to do the rest.

your tank looks good now, just frag stuff down to create room for SPS and go from there

Maybe I could frag some Aiptasia and sell it as a Halloween Coral?

Edit: How many peppermint should I add to the tank? I only see about 2 of the on a regular basis.

Edit:
Crew;698517 wrote: which I'm now craving.. thanks

I think your tank looks great as is.. If I were you, I would continue with the peppermint shrimp and try some chemical warfare on top of it. The peppermint shrimp may be eating the aiptasia, and you simply have too much of it for them to keep up. Mix a sodium hydroxide solution with water (2 NaOH : 1 H2O) turn off all of your pumps or any source of flow, and use a syringe to squirt about 1 drop in front of the aiptasia. Aiptasia are constantly sucking in water and moving it through their bodies, so they will have no choice but to suck in this stuff, which will kill it almost immediately. you have a fairly large tank, so try and kill about 20, wait 2-3 days and repeat. This stuff wont mess your ph much because it is salt based and will decompose quickly, but I wouldn't use a ton at once just because it is so strong. Also, be careful to keep it off other corals because it doesn't discriminate. It could take off your skin so don't get it on you. If it drifts on to something else, just use your hand to brush it off (waving in the water) When you cant see the aiptasia anymore, your shrimp should be able to do the rest.

your tank looks good now, just frag stuff down to create room for SPS and go from there

Where do you buy sodium hydroxide or can I make it?

Crew;698517 wrote: which I'm now craving.. thanks

Where do you buy sodium hydroxide or can I make it?

you can make it but the process releases chlorine gas which is pretty dangerous stuff.

I would suggest buying it online. It's a main ingredient in soap making so it shouldn't be heard to find. Try amazon

Do a search for "Reef Napalm". Acroholic had a good write up on it a while back.
Great looking tank BTW!

I've had great success with peppermint shrimp killing aptasia, I just think 9 shrimp in a 120 gallon system is a bit skimpy.

Also, they might not have been true preppermints

I would suggest buying about 50 peppermints for your 120 tank. I used 18 shrimps to rid my aptasia ridden 30 cube and within two months, all pests were gone. This might sound like a bit of expense, but cheaper by far in the long run than what your suggesting otherwise.

Edit: Oh, your tank looks too great to tear apart!

Dakota9;698558 wrote: I've had great success with peppermint shrimp killing aptasia, I just think 9 shrimp in a 120 gallon system is a bit skimpy.

Also, they might not have been true preppermints

I would suggest buying about 50 peppermints for your 120 tank. I used 18 shrimps to rid my aptasia ridden 30 cube and within two months, all pests were gone. This might sound like a bit of expense, but cheaper by far in the long run than what your suggesting otherwise.

Edit: Oh, your tank looks too great to tear apart!

The website that I ordered them from before is now selling them for $2.50 each for medium size. I'm going to order some.

If I can get away with not breaking the tank down, I'll be content with that. But regardless. A ton of that soft stuff is coming out. So stay tuned for frags.

I happen to be in the market for "soft stuff"

I'll keep an eye out!

Edit: Actually, I'd buy them locally from a reputable LFS.

There's other non-aptasia eating shrimp that look like peppermints, but aren't. Many, if not all our sponsors could tell you the difference.

Remember, that might have been part of the original problem, if you were sold another type of shrimp that doesn't eat aptasia...... I either wouldn't go back to the same source, or I would buy them from several different sources.

You could do a quick google search on "true aptasia eating peppermint shrimp, and their imposters" (that was a very informative article I read when looking for peppermints.

It would be a bit more expensive to buy locally, but then you're not stuck with 50 or 60 non-aptasia eating shrimp in your tank.

:)

reeftopia is where I got them. Hopefully I don't get flagged for mentioning them.

your tanks looking great Joseph!ill call you tomorrow about what you texted me earlier,ive been hooking up the new controller and wiring leds all weekend and im burnt out!

Petland dunwoody has them for 3.47 after their discount. Probably be cheaper than 2.50 plus shipping.

reeferman;698606 wrote: your tanks looking great Joseph!ill call you tomorrow about what you texted me earlier,ive been hooking up the new controller and wiring leds all weekend and im burnt out!

Oh your just being nice. I clearly do not hold a candle. But in due time, I will be able to charge admission for folks to come see my water jug. After this is figured out, I will start the dolphin/manatee tank.

No rush, hopefully you got it looking right. Your gsp RUG is ready whenever you want me to bring it by.

Edit:
Thanh386;698607 wrote: Petland dunwoody has them for 3.47 after their discount. Probably be cheaper than 2.50 plus shipping.

Any order over 120 is free shipping. How far is dunwoody from Augusta, GA?

Oh. Yea order away buddy lol. Ita like a 3.5 hour drive. 120 for free shipping is actually awesome .

Back