Controllable Koralia

Aqua buys has them.
merchant.mvc

I thought I read once, that the price point was too close to a much better competitor (tunze or vortech or something like that). Out of my price range so I don't know anything about that...but the idea was, if you spend the money, just get the better one...don't quote me on that, but I figure I'd throw that out there.

that's pretty much what I heard about the price point. still, a pair of vortech or tunze with controller will cost $600+ while the Koralia can be had for around $400

Saw the Koralias at MACNA and they were impressive. But that is about as much knowledge that I have of them.

I have bought one of the "controlable" Koralias to play and experiment with and here is my take:

You have to buy their controller to use it in a controlled state.
It's still an AC pump (albeit 12 volts AC).
It suffers the same clattering effect that all AC pumps do on non-Koralia controllers. I bought a 12VAC power supply and got it running fine, but a wave controller caused the exact same clattering problems that the regular 110VAC pumps experience.

Given the steep buy-in and lack of true DC operation, I would steer clear given the Tunze or, as I have chosen, the Vortech options.

I bought one of the cheap "wavemakers" wich is basically a power strip with three outlets that you can time. I noticed that our Koralia 4 had the restart chatter but the 3 on the other end of the tank did not. Dont know why. Perhaps the Koralia controller has a way of restarting them without that chatter but if I was going to go that far with them I would spend the extra bucks and go with vortech or tunze. I do like the magnetic holder on the Koralias and the ability to change the flow direction easier than standard powerheads.

George;248885 wrote: I have bought one of the "controlable" Koralias to play and experiment with and here is my take:

You have to buy their controller to use it in a controlled state.
It's still an AC pump (albeit 12 volts AC).
It suffers the same clattering effect that all AC pumps do on non-Koralia controllers. I bought a 12VAC power supply and got it running fine, but a wave controller caused the exact same clattering problems that the regular 110VAC pumps experience.

Given the steep buy-in and lack of true DC operation, I would steer clear given the Tunze or, as I have chosen, the Vortech options.

Ok not to high jack the thread but I have regular hydor 4's and have been wanting to put them on timers (the little cheap pinned timmers) Is there a downfall to this or would i be fine using this for awhile...like say 10min on 10min off?

That is a very good point, George. It doesn't say anywhere that they are AC low voltage... if that is the case, like you say, they will indeed suffer the same issue as regular pumps.

jeep9783;248938 wrote: Has anyone attempted this with the AC hydors?
I have had 2 running on elcheapo timers alternating every 15 minutes for about a year or so and have had no problems...If in the 1 out of 100 they start backwards they correct themselves in a matter of about 1-2 seconds

If you get the PH's that are for the controller can they be run without the controller? It is to much of an investment at one time but if I could get one piece at a time I could do something like this.

the controller isn't supposed to shut off the pumps, so there shouldn't be an chattering or pumps spinning backwards; that would only be an issue if the pumps were turned off during the cycle. THe cycle simply ramps the pumps up and down (i think!).

BUT, there basic controller can only controll 2 pumps. TO have the ability to controll 4 pumps, you'd have to spend $500 on the controller...too steep for a hydor! Oh, and don't forget about the photo cell...not included!

You're better off with the 7095 and the 6055's! The 7095 can controll 8 pumps and the pumps are far superior than the hydor.

roundman;249000 wrote: If you get the PH's that are for the controller can they be run without the controller? It is to much of an investment at one time but if I could get one piece at a time I could do something like this.

They don't come with a wall plug; only their "special" plug.

My research on the plug found that they are using a plug that matches the kind used to plug in automotive HID headlamp bulbs. I could not find which exact size or a source for the socket. I concluded that splicing the pump's wire was more expedient.

It is possible to ramp up and ramp down the speed on AC pumps. Popular theory is that that's what their controller does to avoid clatter. It does involve creating a controller that can varry the frequency of the supplied AC power which wasn't quite trivial enough for me to bother with.

Back