Converting 48" retrofit to 36" retrofit...

Shawn

Market
Reaction score
Hey guys.

I find that my t-5s are giving me too much light over too much of my tank. I want to shorten the length of my t-5s. I can move the connections with ease as they're just two screws each. But would I need to get different ballasts to produce less energy? I don't wanna blow them up :p Just curious - I don't know much about electricity so I want to do it right if I do it.

Yes, the ballasts are sized to the length and number of bulbs.
So theoretically I could do two 36" and two 24" ones with the appropriate HO ballasts? All on the same wiring/whatnot - just swap the ballasts...

Nope, don't work that way. At least not that I'm aware of. Fortunately the ballasts are pretty cheap.

Sorry - wasn't clear. I currently have four 48" bulbs on two ballasts. I could take one set and make them 24" with one ballast and one set of 36" with a different ballast?

The 24" (24w) and the 36" (39w) can run on the same ballast. BRS sells an ATI ballast that works with the two shorter bulbs. I'd have to look at the specs to be sure, but I believe it's just a 39w ballast. Once you go larger than that you can't mix them any more. So 54w and 80w only work with 48" and 60" respectively.

Hope that helps.

I think I'd do two of them. Simply because I'd like the 3' to come on first and the 2' to come on later. Thanks for the feedback, @Adam !

Back