Cook's 105 Planet Aquariums Crystaline Reef

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can that be found locally?
Not sure, maybe Pure Reef carries KZ??? Amazon has regular food grade calcium carbonate and there are recipes for diy. But BRS carries the entire KZ line which is what a lot of folks use- very overpriced though….

Not sure, maybe Pure Reef carries KZ??? Amazon has regular food grade calcium carbonate and there are recipes for diy. But BRS carries the entire KZ line which is what a lot of folks use- very overpriced though….
Pretty sure KZ is German abbreviation for just give us your wallet.

The three day blackout did the trick for the cyano problem. No trace of it a week later. It’s interesting how these torches can change color as they adapt to tank conditions. My 21 tails, front left, has gotten a lot darker than when I first got it.
EC65251C-9E19-4383-87AB-AB736D6E1594.jpeg

For the first time ever, this tank has detectable nitrate and phosphate levels. Still no sign of cyano and algae growth is under control, so that is encouraging.
Alkalinity 8.2
Phosphate 0.156
Nitrates ~ 15. It's >12 <25 on the Nyos, so it's an estimate.
I added some RowaPhos and did a 25% water change.

I’ve always thought Toby puffers were pretty cool. How does it do with other inverts?

He's interested around the hermits and emerald's. He picks at my snails from time to time, don't let one lie upside down for too long. It's hard to say with my tank if an invert disappears, was it the puffer or the snowflake eel? My cleanup crews seem to last a good long time I go about a year before I need to replenish.

I'm facing my first torch loss. I bought a hellfire torch here and it's bailing out on me. No idea why, maybe only a third of it's tentacles left, no brown jelly or anything like that. I moved it to a lower light area of the tank. Going to leave it and see what happens, but not looking promising.

Sorry, it happens a lot with torches, especially wild ones.
I've learned that its better to pay a premium for a healthy torch with a lot of flesh than to take a risk.

Sorry for the loss!

Brown Jelly Disease, often used to describe similar rapid coral pathogenesis, has been show to involve multiple forms of pathogenic organisms simultaneously infecting the host corals. Including: ciliated Protozoa plus bacteria including vibrio and/or arcobacter species.

I’ve read about successful multi step treatments, which included- Lugol’s soaks and treatment with the antibiotics erythromycin or ciprofloxacin.

Below is a link to an article referencing a product alleged to treat the ciliated protozoans. If it works, I would likely still follow up with an antibiotic or at least a high concentration probiotic such as Tropic Marin’s Nutribiotic product.

My alkalinity crept up to 9.2 over the last 6 weeks. The fine adjustment on my CO2 regulator isn’t as fine as I would like. My green birdsnest isn’t looking great either so it’s time to break out the test kits to see what’s up.
86C95FAB-05E4-412A-B2B9-606D0B0FE4B3.jpeg

My alkalinity crept up to 9.2 over the last 6 weeks. The fine adjustment on my CO2 regulator isn’t as fine as I would like. My green birdsnest isn’t looking great either so it’s time to break out the test kits to see what’s up.
View attachment 49834
Torches don’t seem to mind. 😂 looking great!

I haven’t found anything to be off. Alkalinity has declined to 8. The toadstool is shading 20 percent of the rockwork, but of course as soon as I mentioned selling it, the clowns decided to host it.
1624BE4A-6D5F-4838-A6E1-4D62714ADB68.jpeg

Some sad news. Our snowflake eel died. All our other inhabitants are fine. He went pale about two months ago and had lost interest in eating about a month before that, but they can go a long time without food. There was nothing obviously wrong with him when we observed him during this time nor when we took him out. Potentially some kind of internal problem. We will probably get another one, but I'm going to give it a while before trying. I mean I have this fancy eel tunnel, it would be a shame to leave it without a host.

Glad the turbos are doing there thing to help out. They are total bulldozers but they mow it down like Champs.

To bad about the snowflake. They are very cool critters.

GHA is coming back and it's time for a reset, but I'm trying to wait until I get the 180 ready to just swap everything over. I lost my birdsnest, my candy canes are losing their heads one by one and my cyano is back. Clowns are happy though and spawning and my torches are growing, though I have noticed that the color is off. Parameters are:
Alk: 9.1
Mag: 1300
Calcium: 446
Phosphate: 0.043
Nitrate: 1
Salinity: 1.025

This is the end of the line for this build and all of it’s inhabitants will be moving over to the 180 gallon. I’m sure they will be happy to have room to grow. We have really enjoyed this tank and I will likely get another Planet Aquariums tank when I am ready to go custom a few years from now.
C3FD6A6C-949A-4E55-87E2-E644F331E0E5.jpeg

This is the end of the line for this build and all of it’s inhabitants will be moving over to the 180 gallon. I’m sure they will be happy to have room to grow. We have really enjoyed this tank and I will likely get another Planet Aquariums tank when I am ready to go custom a few years from now.
View attachment 61751
That is a pretty tank. I’m sure you’re going to have fun filling that 180

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back