Copepod, Tiger pod, pods in general....

tonytran509

Reaction score
Enlighten me guys.. ive been hearing about this all over and still dont really understand if i need it or not, and what they do in general.... youtube just confused the crap out of me with too many ppl saying this or that... rather have the members here who i trust let me know instead...

Thanks in advanced.....

Enlighten me guys.. ive been hearing about this all over and still dont really understand if i need it or not, and what they do in general.... youtube just confused the crap out of me with too many ppl saying this or that... rather have the members here who i trust let me know instead...

Thanks in advanced.....
Thank you Tony! This is why I just come here to ask things. Research and get so many different answers. I trust people here and go with advice from who I know I can trust.

I don’t know the answer to your question Tony but I do know there are certain fish (just don’t ask me to name them lol) who eat copepods exclusively

i want to add some to my tank because i started with dry rock so i have literally 0 copepods

There are a number of different types of ‘pods’ which live in a marine environment. They are related to other crustaceans, which include crabs, shrimp and lobsters.

Most are called detritivores, because they eat detritus, which is a name for food, animal or plant matter that is available to them to eat.

They include cooepods, isopods, amphipods and several other genera (a scientific name for groups, based on similar characteristics)

These may also sometimes be referred to as bugs, mostly because they resemble bugs and are in fact closely related to insects.

This video below will give you a good overview of the characteristics common to most of these interesting organisms. It is also important to know that while most are beneficial, a few are not.

Pods are generally considered a sign of good health in a reef system. Many of us will provide a special area for them to live, because most other things like to eat them. This is a main purpose for having a refugium, which comes from the word refuge (ie- shelter).

Another area where they can live is called a cryptic zone, which you can think of as an unlit refugium (sometimes it’s nothing more than a pile of rubble).

If you grow chaetomorpha (a type of algae) you will soon come to notice huge numbers of pods living in the chaeto ball, especially when you first turn the light on. You’ll see the pods scamble to go hide. It’s pretty cool!

Many fish can eat pods, though not all, including large predators.

Some, including the above mandarin are obligatory pod feeders. Meaning they are so dependent on pods as food, that they will starve without enough of them.

This is why you may hear some of us tell newcomers that some fish, like mandarins, are not a good starter fish or best for more advanced reefers.

It’s not meant to hurt anyone’s feelings. We are just looking out for the fish and saving you a lot of misery & money.

Giving these reef systems time to develop & mature, ensures that the right biodiversity is available for long term success.

Having a healthy pod population is one of the key indicators of this.

Many fish can eat pods, though not all, including large predators.

Some, including the above mandarin are obligatory pod feeders. Meaning they are so dependent on pods as food, that they will starve without enough of them.

This is why you may hear some of us tell newcomers that some fish, like mandarins, are not a good starter fish or best for more advanced reefers.

It’s not meant to hurt anyone’s feelings. We are just looking out for the fish and saving you a lot of misery & money.

Giving these reef systems time to develop & mature, ensures that the right biodiversity is available for long term success.

Having a healthy pod population is one of the key indicators of this.

Yea ive heard about mandarins and as cool as they look i would just avoid it in general.... so it sounds like i should look into grabbing a bottle of these pods for the tank.

Yes always a good idea.
If you have a refugium they will eventually establish themselves there given some rock, algae or other structure.

Otherwise, regular additions should be made.

Yes always a good idea.
If you have a refugium they will eventually establish themselves there given some rock, algae or other structure.

Otherwise, regular additions should be made.

is there a certain brand or place you recommend grabbing them from... and also which ones i should grab to start off with

Big copepods supporter here! Heisenberg Aquatics is place to get them locally, he is a member here. Esp good if you want any copepods eaters!

I prefer to go local whenever possible. Many have had good results from the above. Get as many different types as possible and your wallet allows. Their population will self regulate, in spite of anything we do.

Get Pod Bombs from Heisenburg - you'll be golden.

wait i cant find that online for somereason....

I prefer to go local whenever possible. Many have had good results from the above. Get as many different types as possible and your wallet allows. Their population will self regulate, in spite of anything we do.
anyone local have any?

Tony copepods are one of the best things to have mandarin gobys wrasses and alot of fish eat. It's like getting free food.

I ordered from AD with the BOGO offer going on this weekend. This includes copepods and the larger Amphipods that are hard to get locally.

Back