Coral Dip- Bayer Insecticide?

I use bayer for most dips but when dealing with sps you should consider a much higher concentration or something else entirely as bayer doesn't do much to black bugs.

No SPS here, not quite at that level yet. I stick to softies and LPS.

What would be the reason for that?
And any one on the south side have any plugs? Or actually I could just break a piece of live rock up i guess
Eggs most of all. But Bryopsis or other algae's, like the RTA "Red Turf Algae" plague I'm dealing with, wont be killed by Bayer. Even Aiptasia , the list goes on and on. The things you'd need to use to kill them will kill the coral too. H2O2 does do a decent job on some of those but it's still not worth the risk.

When I move I'm going to have to nuke all the rock I have to get rid of the vermetid snails and RTA. I still have some aiptasia the pops up from time to time as well. It's like herpes for reefs, the gift that keeps giving... lol

I highly recommend a Coral QT too. Easier to catch and deal with these things in a simple 20L tank than after its infested your reef tank. I have a QT and still got the crap listed above. That's where my cut the plug as part of the process comes from. The next system I do is going to have a zero tolerance policy! Nothing goes in the reef till after cutting the plug, dipping, remount on new plug and sit in QT for 3 months.

I highly recommend a Coral QT too. Easier to catch and deal with these things in a simple 20L tank than after its infested your reef tank. I have a QT and still got the crap listed above. That's where my cut the plug as part of the process comes from. The next system I do is going to have a zero tolerance policy! Nothing goes in the reef till after cutting the plug, dipping, remount on new plug and sit in QT for 3 months.

Gotcha, will be hard to get a QT tank up we have very limited room but I have been working on making space for one as i know its importance.
At the moment Ill have to just dip the corals as they will be here tomorrow.
Pulling plugs doesn't bother me on the Hammer and Torch, just on sure about the Goniopora as I couldn't see what the coral is actually sitting on.

With the Hammer & Torch you REALLY want to inspect the lower portions of them, everything from the plug end to where the tissue starts. That's where vermetids love to attach, aiptasia too. This is where most of those are spread from.

Gotcha, I have actually not purchased from a LFS because I saw Aiptasia on the stalks of the hammer.

Don’t be afraid of aptasia. Imo they are a lot easier to get rid of than most forms of algae

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like I missed this thread. +1 for Bayer. I use it and the only issue I've every had was a candy cane that got really mad and refused to op for a day. Since I couldn't see what the heck I was doing (too cloudy) I think the powerhead was directed right at it. At first I thought it was the bayer but I dipped 2 other candy canes that day and they were fine.

For those of you dipping corals in Bayer - do you have any shrimp?
I just lost my cleaner shrimp and the only thing coincidental was that I dip a few zoa frags in Bayer a couple days prior. I rinsed with tank water before putting the corals in the DT. The shrimp just kind of stiffened up and died.
Ammonia, Ni & Na are 0. Phosphates are somewhere between 0-.25.

I also dip all my corals in Bayern and I was able to eradicate a red bug pest using it. I also have a cleaner shrimp and the guy is fine with the dip. I just make sure to rinse the coral throughly.

i
For those of you dipping corals in Bayer - do you have any shrimp?
I just lost my cleaner shrimp and the only thing coincidental was that I dip a few zoa frags in Bayer a couple days prior. I rinsed with tank water before putting the corals in the DT. The shrimp just kind of stiffened up and died.
Ammonia, Ni & Na are 0. Phosphates are somewhere between 0-.25.

Which formula did you use? I they changed it up recently. I dip everything in Bayer with no issues. I have a fire shrimp, harlequin, and several hermits and emerald crabs.

Back