Coral dip solution

mojo

Market
Reaction score
After years of saying that I was going to start dipping and QT'ing everything that came into my tank, I'm finally going to start. I'm in the middle of treating my tank with Interceptor, and will be running Flatworm exit again to hopefully eradicate all the pests in my tank, and want to make sure anything else coming into the system is clean from this point forward.

So.... what does everyone use for a coral dip? My current plan is an overnight (6 hrs or more) in Interceptor and http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~SearchStr~flatworm%20exit~action~view~idProduct~SF5111~idCategory~FIADAFFE~category~Salifert_Flatworm_Exit_Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies_Additives_Aiptasia___Pest_Control_Flatworm_Control~vendor~.html">Flatworm Exit</a>, then followed up with a [IMG]http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~SearchStr~coral%20dip~action~view~idProduct~SC1573~idCategory~FIADCD~category~Seachem_Reef_Dip_500_mL_Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies_Additives_Coral_Dips~vendor~~tab~0.html">coral iodine dip</a>.

Does anyone else use something special?

Depending on the health of the corals, and to a lesser extent the type of coral, I like to FW dip. SPS are said to not like it, but I have done so many times, and have had very few casualties. BTW, Im offended.

jmaneyapanda;122288 wrote: BTW, Im offended.
LOL! EVERYTHING will get dipped... including your infested corals... :lol2:

lol. I personally use Pro Coral Cure. I add a lot more than whats reccommended and dip longer than what they say as well. It seems to work pretty well for me, tank is pest free.....as far as I know, lol.

mojo;122292 wrote: LOL! EVERYTHING will get dipped... including your infested corals... :lol2:

Yeah, infested with awesome color and awesome awesomeness! or something.

I have found Pro-coral cure to be the best dip on the market followed a close second by Seachem's. I kno Philip Root was working on his own blend about a year ago, you can check to see if he perfected it, I would like to test it out too.

I dip everything in extended Pro Coral dips and I have gotten just about everything (zoa nudis, red bugs, etc). IMO, Furan, Interceptor, Salifert in a nice long dip and then a short dip in Pro Coral. All zoas should probalby be given a 2 week QT as well as any corals that might have been next to zoas. If you get zoa eating nudies, none of the above treatments will kill their eggs during the dip.

That said, I have found a pretty good fail safe cure for those little *******s but it is expensive. Salifert Exit on a 6 week course at 3-4 times recommended dosage followed by a natural predator.

I'm old fashioned when it comes to dips and use concentrated lugol's iodine dips. I've seen it kill nudis and red bugs with no problem so why switch...

The problem even religious dippers run into is that the eggs of nudis are a lot more resistant to dips than the adults.

The key is knowing what they look like and carefully examining the coral before it goes into the tank. If its monti nudis the eggs will typically be on the underside of the monti or near the base of the coral. If its a monti cap then look at difficult to reach scrolling areas. They are in clusters, clear about 1/2 mm across, and filled with white dots. Typically at least 4-5 small clusters will be together.

Zoa nudi egg sacs are in spirals or circle shaped and will be on the zoa. They are similar in appearance to zoa monti nudi eggs, in that they are also clear jelly like with small white dots in them. The shape of the egg sac though is distinct.

Examine each coral carefully, you will see the eggs if you know what you're looking for they are easy to spot if you just take your time. QT of course is best, but that's another story that someone else can preach on.

Ok- next question....

Would it be possible to combine the QT period with the Interceptor and Flatworm exit, so that the coral was in the concentrated bath for 2 weeks, while also in QT? Does anyone know of any research that shows the long term effect of either of these two on corals, if any?

I ran a near 6 week Salifert Exit bath in my main tank. I dumped an entire bottle in once a week for 6 weeks with virtually no ill effects. I recently have some unexplained tort losses (more or less), but that was nearly a month after the dosing was over so I do not think they are related. I also spoke with the guys at Salifert and they implied they cannot guarantee there would be no problems to corals, but they didn't know why it would be a problem either. I think Furan and Interceptor are similar since they are very specialized treatments.

I do recommend adding Furan to your list. It has been known to reverse white spot on Zoas and being a medication that attacks bacteria will likely rid a coral of anything it is carrying in that regard. It even pisses off Redbugs.

Lastly, I agree with FI best way to prevent zoa eggs is QT aside from that a magnifying glass and a good look over. Check the rock as well.

Cameron;122372 wrote: It has been known to reverse white spot on Zoas and being a medication that attacks bacteria will likely rid a coral of anything it is carrying in that regard.

I try to stay away from zoas these days, as they quickly become pests, so the white spots may be a good thing... :thumbs:

To those that use it, what is the difference between TMPCC and any other companies Iodine based dip?

IMO, probably the same thing. They list pro coral as an iodine dipping solution.

I don't think there's any real data out there on using FWE and Int during QT. We just have some hearsay and speculation to go by. I don't see why not though and would like to know the results if you do go that route.

For the time being, I'm more about observation and then treatment if necessary. Once you know what you're looking for predators are easy to spot. Also, they leave tell-tale damage that is even easier to spot.

wow that made me think of a good thread to start.....signs of predators, or nusance things. Unless there is something like that already, lol.

I have always used Seachem Reef Dip. Works great. I dip for 30 min and I have never lost a coral to dipping. Good luck with the dip.

glxtrix;122297 wrote: lol. I personally use Pro Coral Cure. I add a lot more than whats reccommended and dip longer than what they say as well. It seems to work pretty well for me, tank is pest free.....as far as I know, lol.

I do also. For me all sps go into a 6x strength overnight interceptor bath, then the last hour I add some flatworm exit at ~3x dose, then I do the pro coral Cure dip at 2 the recommended length!

zos/LPS get a full barrage of FW dip with flatworm exit and iodine.

What are softies??? :)

Back