Coraline Algae

snarky shark

Supporting
Reaction score
How long does coraline algae take to set up? I have a reef tank but haven't seen any signs of coraline algae growing. Is that good or is it worth investing in a product like purple up?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I didn't find purple up to be helpful myself, what worked for me was adding coraline scrapings from Petco, one of the employees was helpful enough to scrape me some from their frag tank. I'd be happy to scrape some for you, I'm sure other members would too, I'm sure you can find some nearby if you give us your location.

im having the same issue tank is nearly 7 months and i got 1 single spot of coralline algae lol

I just bought some of this. TBD how well it works.

The ARC Reef coralline algae should be purchased directly from ARC reef. I’ve spoken with them several times as I purchased rock from them. They allegedly bottle it the day they ship it because they said it dies in the bottle after about 14 days. I haven’t tried any, just passing on what they told me on the phone fyi

The expiration dates on my bottles were in line. I pretty much trust the BRS isn't going to sell junk but I guess I'll see if this ends up working.

That’s good. Like I said, was just passing on what ARC reef told me, not criticizing BRS or anyone else

How long does coraline algae take to set up? I have a reef tank but haven't seen any signs of coraline algae growing. Is that good or is it worth investing in a product like purple up?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

In my experience, coralline growth takes 6-10 months, after seeding of course, to get decent coverage on a medium to large tank. If you seeded it 7 months ago and aren’t even seeing any signs of growth, I’d say that most likely there is very low calcium and alk, or exceptionally low lighting. Coralline is pretty resilient; if it has a chance at survival, it will.

Getting a new scraping from a fellow reefer will usually help! And I definitely recommend it. But if you already did this, then there may be an underlying issue killing the coralline and/or not letting it grow.

Best of luck!

^^ spot on for my tank. I started seeing coralline growth last month (5-6 month mark) after seeding a bit from three other members' tanks. It started on the plastics first (overflow, powerheads) and now have about a dozen spots on my rocks about dime sized. Strangely, my first chamber in my sump has about a bunch of postage stamp size patches.

From my experience growing corolline algae, they love tank with high Mg and Calcium level. Also, keep your Alk and Temp stable as well since the algae love stability.
Finally, keep you Phosphate low (bellow 0.1 ppm), and Nitrate a little bit high (5-10 ppm). Corolline loves high Nitrate and low Phosphate.
If you can keep all of these parameter in check, then I guarantee you will have corolline algae within 3 months.
But, then why you need that algae any way, they compete with your expensive SPS for Calcium and Carbonate. Is it worth it to keep them around ?

I just bought some of this. TBD how well it works.

I'll say, whether coincidence or not, just a week later I'm seeing some spots of coralline on my overflow.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Purple up is useless, in my experience. If you are dosing for alalinity and calcium, it will come. Purple up is basically like poor-man's dosing, which is not the way to do it.

Purple up is useless, in my experience. If you are dosing for alalinity and calcium, it will come. Purple up is basically like poor-man's dosing, which is not the way to do it.
A poor-man’s dosing... that costs more than any other dosing brands.

now im noticing im getting spots of corraline on my back tank wall that werent there last week lol

Keep your alk and calcium in line and it will grow...trust me. I'm scraping it off my front glass weekly.

I agree that it will come. I added the ARC reef bottled coralline because I both didn't have much coralline and was dealing with dinos. I also got a bottle of vibrant in the same shipment. Vibrant, bottled coralline, and UV sterilizer and I think I'm winning the battle with dinos right now.

I agree that it will come. I added the ARC reef bottled coralline because I both didn't have much coralline and was dealing with dinos. I also got a bottle of vibrant in the same shipment. Vibrant, bottled coralline, and UV sterilizer and I think I'm winning the battle with dinos right now.

i got a uv sterilizer this week to help with my dinos i got it hooked up wednesday ive kept the lights off only to feed then turn them back off been using a turkey baster and stirring the sand bed to get them suspended to go through the uv ill know in a few days how well its working makes my tank look ugly hanging there but ill do anything to get rid of these dinos been battling them for months

Back