Corals Closing/Look bad

Flow is pretty solid. I have an mp 10 which I run on the reef setting which they seemed to like. I'm gonna do a 15 -20 gallon change, change media and cut the high lighting period a bit. I'll report back. We should grab a drink kaleidoscope one day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did a 50% change and changed out media, some corals looked better others stayed closed. I think the cyano is choking them out, I've read where it can start to keep things closed. I'm thinking of dosing chemiclean in order to prevent coral loss. Anyone had any experience? It looks you need to be meticulous with the dose level and to get some air pumping in the system.

You can dose hydrogen peroxide at 1ml per 10 gallons and it will wipe out the cyano. However, cyano and different species of dinos do look very similar as there are hundreds of different types of dinos out there and many present differently. It would probably be best to figure out what you're battling here. I've recently successfully battled dinos and they definitely will hurt your corals, killing some and their extension will be awful. Pretty toxic little protists and fairly difficult to remove. Red tide is one form of dinos... and it's not even the most toxic. Dosing your tank for cyano when you have dinos will cause the tank to have an even larger dino bloom! Not good. Cyano typically does not cause corals much if any issue as it is present in all tanks and will only bloom significantly when the conditions are right. I've no experience with your kind of setup so I'm not sure how your nutrient export will hold up over time... so I'm assuming it is cyano which is good.

To figure out what you're facing, if you take some of the nasty stuff out, put it in a cup and add some hydrogen peroxide it'll let you know if you have cyano or dinos. Cyano will just melt into nothing. Dinos will keep on trucking...

Once you know what it is you're dealing with then you can treat accordingly. If it is just cyano then that is more indicative of a nutrient expert/import issue... which seems likely to me. If it is dinos... you figure out which species you're dealing with and pray... a lot. :)

Thanks FutureInterest. When this originally popped up I was debating whether it was cyano or dino. Ultimately, I think it is cyano or at least hope. There aren't any bubbles which I think is a common symptom and it is pretty much in low flow areas with high light. I think it is a combination of my media being bad, a lighting change and some increased feeding I've been doing to get my goby fed properly that spurred the outbreak. I have never heard of the test you propose so will try that when I get home and hope for the best.

How did you combat the dino's out of curiosity?

There is no magic bullet for dinos as they seem to vary quite a bit with different problem species. I used the kitchen sink approach. Elevated the ph, aggressive manual removal from the tank, sand bed removal, lights out for 4 days and h2o2 dosing while the lights were out. Yah it sucked... but it worked.

Dosed Chemiclean on Tuesday afternoon. Everything is starting to look better and pop out. I'm realizing now just how bad the outbreak was. There are still clumps of this stuff and it's actually really hard to remove manually beceause it mats and is too heavy to siphon but crumbles when using your hands. It's been 48 hours should I do the water change now, should I give it one more day to clear out, or do water change and dose again?

I would do the water changes, siphon out what you can and wait a few days or a week and hit it again. It worked for me. :)

Still battling this stuff. Is it possible its a diatom outbreak? Any other thoughts? This stuff blows off very easy but seems to come back. It seemed like the chemiclean helped at first but then came back.
78d9a3474f058381c5116c07026ffc15.jpg
alt="" />
8c5eccc62b672e6577cd0501c616a4f5.jpg
alt="" />
eacc422d072748cc3bc460dafb15164c.jpg
alt="" />

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back