Costs of running a big tank

I Figure If I Work Hard I Should Be Able To Play Hard, As Far As Size Of New Tank 12' X 4' X 4' Or My Wife And I Looked Last Night What Would Be Good Way To Revampe Basement So New Idea All Walls Removed Except Were Sumps Are My Pool Table Has Been Apart For 2 1/2 Yrs So That Needs To Get Put Up Also, So Are Thoughts Are The Whole Back Would Be 2 Very Large Tanks So My 450 Is 1/2 And A 800-1000 Would Be Second Half So Now I'm Rush My Workers To Finish My Front Retaining Wall So I Can Start The Basement.

My take on it.......I don't care....It is what it is....The price of the hobby. If I knew I would throw the towel in in it....It is not much though for me I don't think.

wow that is going to be an extreemm setup i am going to get somin like that later on in life when i get my own place and my vet. career takes off

If I Add Up All The Foolish Things I Spent Money On It Would Be A Wash So I'll Just Keep Doing What I Enjoy.......

horsesziggy;50052 wrote: If I Add Up All The Foolish Things I Spent Money On It Would Be A Wash So I'll Just Keep Doing What I Enjoy.......

Exactly,as long as at the end of the day you can still afford to feed your family and have a roof over your head then the rest is just trivial BS.Might as well enjoy yourself while you can.:cheers:

I guess I must have a little OCD. When I moved here 16 months ago and decided to move up from a 58 gal to a 125, I was doing the obligatory research and saw a thread asking about costs and decided to keep track on a spreadsheet. Now you've got to promise not to tell my wife, because while she has a general idea, I don't think she really knows the full truth.
I started adding water to the tank one year ago this monthMy figures include all the monthly salt, food etc. over the last 12 months For my recipe I started with $2,200 in equipment from the original set up, mixed in $5,566 in new hardware and $4,073 in livestock. Add to that the additional $120 a month in electicity, (yes I calculated that too), $10 a month average for water, (that's an estimate) and you can see why it's not a cheap hobby. That's a total expenditure of $13,399. That doesn't even include the sweat equity and marital strain when I had to spend 5 hours straight scrubbing rock on a Saturday battling the inevitable algae bloom. Why was it that I love this hobby? I guess you'd have to look at the Tour of the Tanks pics for June to get an idea, but I only feel like my garden is just starting to bloom.
I don't think it's a God complex as discussed in another thread, but I do enjoy my little slice of Heaven :)

james,so that is all truth as long as you pay you're way and treatpeople how you want to be treates it don't get any better than that, cuda my tank & pond project are my 2nd piece of heaven my grandson is #1 and as luck would have it he loves my fish he will spend hrs with me in the basement looking at my fish can't put a price on that>> so add all the friendships i've made and compainenship of grandson = priceless

Back