Covering Your Wrasse

dave green

Market
Reaction score
:)eek:I couldn't help it... at least I didn't title it "How are they supposed to breathe in a tank with no air!))

Okay, so I managed to suffocate my tang and lionfish with glass lids... and I am considering whether or not I want to do another lionfish or if I want to go smaller fishies which would not be possible with a lionfish in a 75 gallon tank.

Wrasse-wise, what do y'all use to cover y'all's tanks and still get the proper... er... gas exchange and not let your wrasse get out in the open? (this is getting worse :doh:).

Or would the glass lids give sufficient air, or should I open up my sump?

I doubt your fish died because of the glass lid, but anyway. Go to HD or (b)lowes and look for light diffuser in the lighting section.

I use eggcrate (light diffuser) cut into two panels to fit snuggly into the trim on either side of the center brace of my 90g. I have no H.O.T. equipment, so there are no miscellaneous openings anywhere, just the flat panels.

I've heard that the truly adventurous wrasse can still manage to go through, but I've been lucky.

Disadvantage is the shadow caused by the eggcrate.

What I'd like to do is create some kind of lightweight frame (like a shoebox with the top cut out) with gutter-guard attached to the four sides of the frame.

Some people have had luck with screen frame and pond netting rolled into it.

You need to figure out why your other animals died before adding more livestock. Test everything and find out whats wrong. Heavy surface agitation will help with gas exchange even with a lid and a nice skimmer should suffice as well.

I use egg crating. Wrasse hasn't jumped or overflow dove since I added it.

Matt

Back