Crap on the back tank wall

snowmansnow

Market
Reaction score
I realize folks get protective of their tank appearance so please don't take offense to the following:

WHY do most ppl NOT CLEAN their back wall?! I've recently seen pictures of some amazing reef tanks with funky back walls. Personally, I don't think (and perhaps this is the key... I DON'T think) that coraline algae is so awesome. I mean, sure it colors up your rock work and helps control evil algae, but it's almost like some folks enjoy showcasing coraline. What's up with that? IMO (I DO REALIZE ITS MY OPINION) nothing looks better than a stunning tank with corals shown off against a nice clean backdrop to really make them POP!

Am I the only one? I mean I despise this stuff when it gets on my tank walls.. its a pain to scrape off, and I would almost rather it not be there at all.

so what's up? help me understand the mentality. OR CLEAN YOUR BACK WALLS!

I love you all!
B.

In my 180 its hard to get to the back wall unless I move my canopy and stand on the stand. But its a pain in the butt.

WILLIAM1;408687 wrote: In my 180 its hard to get to the back wall unless I move my canopy and stand on the stand. But its a pain in the butt.

I can appreciate that. Even with my 120 I intentionally kept the rock work off of the back and low enough so that I can use a telescoping scraper to get to it.

I think it is a matter of personal preference. I love the look of coralline covering the back glass and the rockwork. :) Even if I didn't, William's right...sometimes it's difficult to get to the back of the tank to scrape.

My powder blue loves grazing on the back wall all day long, so I don't clean it.

I see this as well in my tank my tangs love to graze on the back wall.

Smoothie;408692 wrote: My powder blue loves grazing on the back wall all day long, so I don't clean it.

I think it might have something to do with the aquascaping of the tanks. Many people don't make plans to ever scrape the back glass.

I personally try to keep mine clean.

Last tank it was simply to hard to clean coralin off the back. it was Acrylic and hard to reach.

New tank has no back wall :)

A back wall covered with coralline, to me, is a badge of honor: a mature tank.

Yes, clean looks nice - some of our customers want it cleaned, some don't - it does come down to personal preference.

I scrape front and sides (viewed areas) but I let my back wall grow coralline. I will remove green algae (unless it's green coralline).

But yeah, it does come down to "preference" - whether that translates to convenience, laziness, etc.

Jenn

jmaneyapanda;408702 wrote: Personally, I want all non viewable sides obscured.

Agreed, I didn't paint the back or add any opaque covering to my tank assuming that as the tank matured the coralline would would essentially block any wiring that is running behind my tank from power heads, lights, etc...

I think it is a matter of personal preference. I love the look of coralline covering the back glass and the rockwork. I quote Stacy.
I too love the look and I think most do also....

Phil :thumbs:

Rbredding;408706 wrote: :huh:
how's that work? have you got a force shield holding the water in?

LMAO:lol2:

Dude that tore me up. You are too funny! Thanks you guys! Made my day!

Preference. I like my non-viewable areas covered in coraline. So, my back wall and my right aquarium glass are covered in coraline. I just keep the front and left aquarium glass as spotless as possible.....

I have to add that I have seen some amazing tanks that are super clean on all sides and it is awesome also....

It looks more natural with the coraline on the back glass. I can't wait for the coraline and pods to appear on the back wall, so I take the coraline from one of my older tanks and seed the new tank, it helps it appear faster. Just another opinion:yes:

I like the back glass covered with coralline. What I don't get is when people allow the fronts of the tanks to get covered. I use a mag float every other day on my tanks. That keeps 99% of algae off the glass. Once a month or so I get a razor out and scrape the occaisional spot of coralline that gets on the viewing panes of the tanks.
Dave

I am to lazy to scrub the back of the tank. I let what ever is on it stay. Fish eat at it. Pods breed in it. I just let life take its own path back there. I really like the corals growing on the back glass, just do not have the frags to get it going.

I do like the tanks and owners that can go that far with it. Very impressive when it is that well kept.

Back