Cuc - qt?

catgirl29

Market
Reaction score
There's this thread on this other major reef forum in which one of the well-known members is says you should maybe QT a clean up crew for up to 72 days if you buy them from any tank that ever had fish in it.

When I'm at a store, I don't see snail-only tanks very often (if ever). Is this something I should be concerned about when I get my CUC? Keep in mind that I don't have fish in my tank (just some Kenya Tree and Star Polyp).

I've never QT CUC and have had no problems. I Doubt many others ever have but anything is possible. Just buy from reputable sellers...

Camellia;1037810 wrote: I've never QT CUC and have had no problems. I Doubt many others ever have but anything is possible. Just buy from reputable sellers...

+1
The reason they say to QT your cuc is to minimize the risk of introducing a parasite such as ich to a tank. Almost anything from another tank with fish can carry parasites in it, I have even heard some say that introducing coral to your tank can bring unwanted parasites. Personally I've never Qted cuc and haven't encountered any problems (that I know of)

I don't know of any pathogen that can transmit from an invert to a fish.

I suppose there is always going to be a remote chance that a hermit shell or something picks up something out of the substrate... but it's probably right up there with the odds of winning the lottery.

If one is *that* paranoid, they're probably in the wrong hobby.

JMHO, people focus on the strangest things...

Jenn

Back