Curious about BARE BOTTOM

derek_s

Market
Reaction score
I have had an interesting conversation with Lee, the resident BB advocate, and am wondering if done correctly they can really be great for low nutrient tanks.

I am starting to be convinced that a BB tank can be a very effective setup for rapid nutrient removal since there is less detritus trapped in the tank, assuming good flow eliminates dead spots.

So, I'd like any BB guys to comment here. How is it working? How are you setup and running it successfully?

And lastly, if I have sand, and want to go to BB, what is the safest way to remove the sand?

First of even though i have thought to go BB, cause the sand just goes everywhere, i would say that the best way to do it would be to use a gravel vac, From the fresh water days!

Derek_S;295926 wrote: if I have sand, and want to go to BB, what is the safest way to remove the sand?

A gravel vac might not be able to keep enough suction to lift out sand/rock particles. If you use just a straight 1" hose, run it to a filter sock over your sump, so there is no water loss. It'd probably be easier with 2 people. Clamp the hose to the top lip of the tank so you have some slack in the tank to play with, then add a ball valve on the bottom end. When the sock fills up, turn the ball valve off and empty it, or get a new one (I'd pour the sand and stuff into a tub with some tank water so you can shake the sock out and get the sediment out). Just empty the sock every few minutes/seconds, and you should be able to get it done fairly quickly without wasting too much water. Of course, stirring all this up may cause a spike and you may want to do a water change anyways...

bb tanks prob have a theory behind them but its kinda like looking at a freeway and convincing yourself that your at the beach.

If what we talked about isn't having any effect on your nutrient levels then go for it.

It may work for yah.

I'm not a fan of it though because it's not pretty imo. Also you can do nearly the same thing with sand. I have all my rock elevated off the sand bed so nothing collects on it for long. The vortechs provide tons of soft flow and I also regularly stir up my shallow sand bed. It's prolly not as effective as bb for removing crap but I'd rather have my cake and eat it too so to speak.

I thought that too Chris, but upon thinking about it, I figure that after coralline grows on the bottom as it should, it might not look too bad.

I prefer sand to the max, but I am really looking at it as an efficient nutrient removal system as opposed to an asthetic system, as it is not as asthetically pleasing to me as sand.

What about painting the bottom of the tank beige? Or black? Or at least painting a sheet of plywood and putting it underneath.

JetChris;295975 wrote: bb tanks prob have a theory behind them but its kinda like looking at a freeway and convincing yourself that your at the beach.

I actually do that.

Just had to say that.

Jin, I think my mistake was not elevating the rock aboive the sand. I actually have it on the glass, so it is partially buried.

As far as the nutrients in my system go, they are now acceptible, as NO3 is 10 ppm, and PO4 .05 and dropping.

I'm not looking to do this anytime soon, or at all, just really want additional experiences and opinions. I am also reading up on a NO3 reactor, and the Zoe systems as other alternatives to help create a very low nutrient system.

I actually bilt a no3 reactor, but have been very hesitant to buy the sulfure. Just cant decide if I wanna run it.

FutureInterest;295979 wrote: If what we talked about isn't having any effect on your nutrient levels then go for it.

It may work for yah.

I'm not a fan of it though because it's not pretty imo. Also you can do nearly the same thing with sand. I have all my rock elevated off the sand bed so nothing collects on it for long. The vortechs provide tons of soft flow and I also regularly stir up my shallow sand bed. It's prolly not as effective as bb for removing crap but I'd rather have my cake and eat it too so to speak.

I had a BB, but hated the look. I added sand, and have had bubble algae start to pop up, not a ton but some. I am thinking about removing the sand and going back. Honestly, when you do a water change on a BB tank, it's pretty rewarding to suck out ALL of the funk out. As far as removing the sand, get some 2" flexible hosing and siphon the crap (literally.. aka sand) out. I would do it over the course of several water changes. No offense, but the filter sock idea is NOT recommended. You'd be getting rid of sand, but the constant water flow into the sock would assure that all of the funk enters your system and the tank would crash, no doubt about it.

from what i've researched on BB tanks, their biggest advantage is in primarily SPS tanks that have such a high flow rate that it is difficult/impossible to keep the sand settled. while it is easier to remove detritus, most BB users actually increase their bioload and feeding to provide enough suspended nutrients for their corals, and compensate with a skimmer much larger than typically needed.

on that note, i am an advocate of a shallow sand bed, with gravel siphoning done every water change, so i'm not really sure what the big difference is, aside from the fact that my detritus is hidden from view, and the hole "more natural" thing.

To me BB looks unnatural and unless you can reach every corner were the crap collects you not really helping anything. After a while I got tired of having so much flow and having to suck all the crap out. It always seems to collect in PITA places. With the amount of flow I had, frags would blow slowly across the tank and some of the Zoa's and lps do not like that much flow.

If I was going to run a strictly sps tank I might would do it again but for a mixed tank it's not for me. Just so you know in my old tank the rock sat on the glass and was surrounded by sand. Who knows what caused your problem but I doubt that alone caused the problem.

Now if you are working on your issue it might help but so would replacing your sand bed.

good luck Joe

There's only one thing you have to know about BB tanks:

they're for losers.

BB are soooo 2006. Now, they are gone. "NO ONE" has them anymore, because they don't don't "work" like they should, and they look like crap. Try VSV.

Well, other than the comments on asthetics, thanks guys! Haha, obviously some opinions on this one.

As some know I am using VSV right now, but I'm not really comfortable with using it long term, even though that is how it is designed.

I have considered Zeo, but it is so labor intensive....

I really just wanted some opinions one BB systems from those who have/had them.

I think my nutrient problem is in check, and will continue to decrease, but I am kinda thinking out loud here about options for the future.

Vodka Sugar Vinegar. Is a mixture of the 3 carbon sources to help in removing nutrients from your tank. Check out this thread.
http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=22849">http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=22849</a>

To be honest. I think the ONLY way you should take your sand out is to completly drain your tanks water into buckets removing all corals fish and inverts. Then just scoop it all out. Put it all back together and your done.

It would be one hell of a labor intensive day, but IMO the only way to not release more nutrients that are trapped in your SB into the tank.

Jin, how do you have your rocks off of the sand?

I have an acrylic rock lift in the tank. I have rectangular acrylic bars going the length of the tank and circular 3/8 acrylic pegs in the rods for the rock to rest on. I try to make the rock lift as invisible as possible and have some rocks in the front of the main rockwork which hides some of the pegs and also allows snails and crabs to climb up to the rest of the rockwork.

I got the idea from TRT's flyguyy. It wasn't easy to install as my tank was already running when I put it in... but it's been worth it imo. Another added benefit is that it provides lots of places for fish to hide and dart through.

Installed after running? Wow, I bet that was a job. At nearly 30" deep I am not even gonna go there on my tank! ;)

Back