Curious about BARE BOTTOM

It wasn't easy that's for sure. It'd be impossible to do so now with an established reef but at the time everything was just lil frags...

I could probably do it, but er... Man it would be tough. I wounder if you could just use cuts of pvc, like 4" diameter, making kinda like little legs.

I guess if I wanna do it now is the time before everthing gets bigger...

yeah I may do this nto mine before everythig starts to grow in. I like your idea about the large diameter pvc...

Well i went from a BB to having black sand, then diatoms galore and got tired of the sand being everywhere so i actually removed it all. The way i did it was prepared for a water change and used 1 or 2" hose and started siphon and just sucked about 90% of it out in one swoop. I removed some of the rockwork to help get to more of the sand. This was actually more labor intensive then i thought but overall was very successful and i didnt lose anything, but my tank is on a jammed pack 34 gallon.

Overall BB is kind of an aquired taste, i wasnt so sure of it at first and i do miss the sand sometimes but ease of maintence and almost no algae problems makes it worth it, if you wanted something to resemble the color of sand you could put starboard in the bottom but it will change colors when algae grows.

I agree it is probably an aquired taste. I think the solana would look better than most as far as BB, since it is a rimless 'contemporary' look.

I think BB would look fine in time as coralline grew on the floor. I have purple star polyps that would look neat on the floor too, but then again you are back to a possible detritus trap and at risk of them enveloping the whole tank.

mysterybox;296271 wrote: BB are soooo 2006. Now, they are gone. "NO ONE" has them anymore, because they don't don't "work" like they should, and they look like crap. Try VSV.

Bare bottom works very well if you set it up properly. You can keep the VSV and all the snake oil.

Back