Custom ATO Reservoir Tank 6”x14”x15”

Dude, you've got it bad. Hear me out folks, I predict that in 3 years my man will be doing one of two things: Breeding clowns or putting together a frag system to go with the 4 other saltwater tanks he's got.
ive been like watching at least 4 hours of reef stuff a day lol

I totally called it back on December 16th. But now I'm thinking I can move my time frame up a bit...;)

I totally called it back on December 16th. But now I'm thinking I can move my time frame up a bit...;)

Lol well im gonna need your help to figure something out soon lol. So you see these 4 tanks. Im thinking of making them all salt and use the bottom as a sump for the top 3. Would that even work??

2504D1C2-066D-4469-AD10-D72BFDFCA2F3.jpeg

It would work. Most fish stores and larger setups use a manifold type system where one large pump will feed multiple aquariums. Since almost all drains lines use gravity, you just need to make sure that it can easily handle the amount of water going to each tank. There are some details that you'd have to work out and you'd want to have each individual return (supply) line on it's own ball valve to find tune things but that's simple enough.

One of the biggest issues off the top of my head would be the amount of head pressure lost by the time you get to the top tank. The first (bottom) tank would have quite a bit of pressure from the return line with each tank thereafter getting less and less.

It would work. Most fish stores and larger setups use a manifold type system where one large pump will feed multiple aquariums. Since almost all drains lines use gravity, you just need to make sure that it can easily handle the amount of water going to each tank. There are some details that you'd have to work out and you'd want to have each individual return (supply) line on it's own ball valve to find tune things but that's simple enough.

One of the biggest issues off the top of my head would be the amount of head pressure lost by the time you get to the top tank. The first (bottom) tank would have quite a bit of pressure from the return line with each tank thereafter getting less and less.

well that sounds like something I need to figure out. Would something like this work?C723D079-4410-4C00-8044-ACCF96F8CE82.png

Most fish stores, for a given pump, have the pipe feeding each tank all at the same height (tanks are too).

That makes the flow balance equally, due to the head pressure being the same.

If tanks are at different heights, the easiest way is to use multiple smaller pumps, one for each level.

Most fish stores, for a given pump, have the pipe feeding each tank all at the same height (tanks are too).

That makes the flow balance equally, due to the head pressure being the same.

If tanks are at different heights, the easiest way is to use multiple smaller pumps, one for each level.

that sounds expensive already lol, is there a page I can use to calculate for head loss and figure out what pump I would need

Many problems in science are most easily solved by starting with the solution, and then work your way back from there.

Example-

First:
-What kind of flow do you want going into each tank? (Gallons per hour?)
Then:
-How many levels will tanks be on?
Then:
How many tanks on each level?

Many problems in science are most easily solved by starting with the solution, and then work your way back from there.

Example-

First:
-What kind of flow do you want going into each tank? (Gallons per hour?)
Then:
-How many levels will tanks be on?
Then:
How many tanks on each level?

okay so they are 20g tanks..... so the rule is 5 to 10 times turnover right?

You will end up studying pump flow curves.
These are plots of flow vs height for a pump.

For turnover, yes depending on what’s going into the tanks?
If they are frag tanks, you can get by with less.
Let‘s stick with 5x the tank volume per hour.

Post a system layout, or list levels & tank numbers.

I’ve got to go to bed now ;)

BTW,
DC pump’s are more efficient than AC, but tend to be more $$. (Nothing crazy, but more)

Do you have a presence?

BTW,
DC pump’s are more efficient than AC, but tend to be more $$. (Nothing crazy, but more)

Do you have a presence?
Well I guess it depends on if I’m getting 3 small pumps or 1 big pump lol. I like the controls on dc but not sure if I can fork out 3 of those lol

Back