Custom ATO Reservoir Tank 6”x14”x15”

This looks to be 4x - 20 gal tanks stacked one above another. Correct?

If so, I would use just 1 pump and have the flow pumped up to the top tank and then cascade down to each tank in sequence.

Questions-
Is the bottom tank going to be a sump?
Or, is the pump to be located outside of, but connected to, the bottom tank?
I‘m assuming you are planning to drill, or have drilled, all of these tanks?

This looks to be 4x - 20 gal tanks stacked one above another. Correct?

If so, I would use just 1 pump and have the flow pumped up to the top tank and then cascade down to each tank in sequence.

Questions-
Is the bottom tank going to be a sump?
Or, is the pump to be located outside of, but connected to, the bottom tank?
I‘m assuming you are planning to drill, or have drilled, all of these tanks?

Yes they are all 20 gallon longs, stacked on top of each other on a metal shelf. I wanted to use the top 3 as tanks and the bottom as a sump. I will be drilling all of them for overflow.

This is similar to our old LFS, so it’s doable for sure. We also had 2 systems where each top tank was fed by the level above it.

I wouldn’t necessarily use the same
Return line for all tanks (the green pipe in your hand drawing). Water flowing down from the top tank would partially fill up the pipe... but it would create a lower pressure and could make a lot of noise.

This is similar to our old LFS, so it’s doable for sure. We also had 2 systems where each top tank was fed by the level above it.

I wouldn’t necessarily use the same
Return line for all tanks (the green pipe in your hand drawing). Water flowing down from the top tank would partially fill up the pipe... but it would create a lower pressure and could make a lot of noise.

oopss... so from the overflow down to the sump is the return :oops: lol sorry still learning all these terms.... so i should just run each separate down to the sump which i can do.

oopss... so from the overflow down to the sump is the return :oops: lol sorry still learning all these terms.... so i should just run each separate down to the sump which i can do.

Yes, that’s what I would recommend to avoid suction noises, basically 3 separate return lines.

That is, unless you want each tanks overflow to feed into the tank below it, with only the bottom tank feeding to the return section of the sump. However, I didn’t mention, the downside with this style of system (assuming you cover all your bases for safety concerns) is each tank will have a slightly different water level. So it doesn’t look as professional/sharp.

Regardless of what you choose, just make sure that your return lines each have a large diameter, and can handle the water volume.

And also make sure that when the power goes out, the sump will not overflow, since 3 tanks are draining into 1 sump.

Yes, that’s what I would recommend to avoid suction noises, basically 3 separate return lines.

That is, unless you want each tanks overflow to feed into the tank below it, with only the bottom tank feeding to the return section of the sump. However, I didn’t mention, the downside with this style of system (assuming you cover all your bases for safety concerns) is each tank will have a slightly different water level. So it doesn’t look as professional/sharp.

Regardless of what you choose, just make sure that your return lines each have a large diameter, and can handle the water volume.

And also make sure that when the power goes out, the sump will not overflow, since 3 tanks are draining into 1 sump.

I was thinking of 1 inch return pvc and i will take your advice and just run individual returns to avoid the the noise.

I think we have some mixed terminology. I consider the lines from the Overflow to the sump as drain lines. The returns would be from the pump back up to the tanks. Or am I the one that's confused?

I think we have some mixed terminology. I consider the lines from the Overflow to the sump as drain lines. The returns would be from the pump back up to the tanks. Or am I the one that's confused?

no dont let me confuse you.... im the new guy in here lol.... my terms are all reversed lol

You’re right; while ‘return line‘ can be correct, ‘drain line’ is less ambiguous.

Back