Custom Hammerhead Needlewheel 55g skimmer

epauluke

Reaction score
These sharks are really putting out some waste!
The Chaeto cant keep up!
Time to commence with the skimmer build!

After harassing some folks off and on for about a year, I finally was able to procure a needle-wheel impeller modification for the Reeflo Hammerhead pump. Once I mod the intake and impeller, I'll be building a massive protein skimmer.
The body will be a ring top 55 gal FDA approved drum. Penetrations will be made using Uni-seals. BTW RK2 has a great selection of stuff they don't bother to let anyone know about... Horrible website, no catalogs or print:thumb... Just call

The neck and head will be fabricated from acrylic cylinder and permanently attached to the lid of the drum. A self spinning fresh water auto wash-down (think Bermuda Aquatics) will be integral to the lid of the head. To maintain, I will simply remove the whole head /neck/ drum lid assembly and hose down.

A good bang for yer buck and EXTREMELY EFFICIENT at < 350 watts continuous!
:thumbs:

I know.. What a slacker.. Almost 30 minutes after the post.. I could have done had them going for mass selling already.. What are you doing? Building a factory?

Just kidding of course..
Do you happen to have any plans that show the details?

I just scored a Dwyer Flow Meter on Ebay. This thing is HUGE!
I figured the larger the airline in/out, the lower restriction to flow. That being said I went to Dwyer.com and found a behemoth the RMC-104-SSV. Retail like 175, Ebay, 8.99 + 15 S&H!!!
This thing is bigger than my keyboard, and like 5 lbs.
Graduated from 50 to 400 SCFH - PERFECT
1/2" in/out... Looks MEAN!

Plans are in my head...
_________
! !
!________!
! !
! !
!-------------!
! !
! !
! !
! ! _
! ! __l_l
!___________! ( @ )

I imagine it will look something like that...

Back