cutting a RBTA

mvm

Market
Reaction score
I'm thinking of cutting my flame 'nem in half, it's just too big for my tank. I've heard it's actually pretty easy. I would place the 2 'nems in a critter container for close monitoring to make sure thay both heal. Has anyone tried this?

Calfo talked about it at MACNA nice new razor and a smooth vertical cut from top to bottom... I wouldn't try it though

If its healthy and has been eating regularly... I would go ahead and do it. :)

Don't feed it 3 days prior to cutting it up though. Otherwise you're going to be in for a true sensory overload. Yuck...

Done it a bunch. As long as the base is at least 3 inches long it should be fine. Very sharp knife, slice right down the middle then put it where it won't be bothered by clowns or anything else. The mouth wil reform with 10 days or so and you want to feed it like crazy as soon as it can eat!

They heal amazingly quickly. Just don't do it on the smaller guys <6" when expanded, they have a tough time.

Budsreef cut one in half that we split. Actually, he cut it in half then cut his half in half again. My half healed up nicely and is now in my frag tank recuperating (probably about a month since the surgery). I know he has cut up RBTA's in the past as well. You might want to check wiht him for any tips.

I think my flame might be ready to split. It is hugh and so is the mouth. It is a part way open cave and takes up the entire thing. The clowns love it. The Bengaiis seem to take a big interest in that and the green bubble tip.

Check out
a>video from the Feb frag meeting.

best wishes if you decide to go through with it, lmk id love to have a flame nem.

Someone had posted this already somewhere on the site....its easy as this.

watch

Wow lol that seems easy enough lol too bad we cant do expensive fish the same way

Yup, pretty easy. It's best done in one cut like the video....so make sure the nem is inside the cutting area, or have long enough scissors.

Ask budsreef..He has cut them several times and taken pictures of it too. They all came out really healthy. When I am ready he will be the first one on my list.

Keep them in an area where no clowns will try to host....good water parms and it'll heal itself in about a week.

Another good way is to put an ice cube in a zip lock bag....stick your hand in the water and put it on the foot. They don't care for the change in temp so they will/should move. Once they start to move they will either fully let go or yo can slowly pull it off.....slow though, you don't want to tear the foot.

Back