cutting acyrlic

dakota9

Market
Reaction score
Does anyone have a tablesaw with acrylic cutting blade? I'm purchasing my own black acrylic today, but would like a straight professional cut....

Anyone?

What are you using the acylic for? I ask because if it's for a tank, black does not glue nearly as well as clear acylic, so be extra careful with those joints.

Actually, it's just for a corner overflow that goes no where....... I'm planning on hiding the circulation pump and skimmer behind it, with the added bonus of surface skimming.

Oh, and I should have a nice size piece of acrylic left if anyone is interested in a good deal.

I've had the best results cutting acryllic with a table mounted router using a 1/4" carbide straigt flute bit.

I have a table saw with a 10" 300 count tooth for cutting acrylic. Works great. Be glad to help.
Dave

Thanks for the offer Charlie, but I kmow you keep a hectic schedule and wouldn't want to impose.

Save, maybe this weekend would work sometime, eh?

Acroholic;366038 wrote: I have a table saw with a 10" 300 count tooth for cutting acrylic. Works great. Be glad to help.
Dave

Dave Where did you get that 300 count blade I have never seen one
???

grouper therapy;366167 wrote: Dave Where did you get that 300 count blade I have never seen one
???

I got mine at Lowes in the Tool World section. I think it is a 300 count. It is made for cutting plastics. Reasonable price as well...only $16.

I used this blade on my DIY sump acrylic pieces and got nice clean cuts without chipping.

Got my acrylic today, picked it up at McMaster Carr, like one street down from where I work. Not terribly priced either. $27.93 for a 24"x24" piece. Thick stuff too, and oh so shiney

Should have this puppy ready for water by middle of next week

Thanks to all who've offered help. Dave I hope to see you Sunday afternoon

When I picked up my acrylic sheet at Calsak, the site manager told me that it's best to use a sharp, 60tooth blade.. more teeth can cause overheating on long cuts which could deform the plastic at the cut edges..

he then recommended a razor blade scraper to remove the tooth marks.. (I've been using a utility knife and a couple slow passes and the edge is perfectly smooth) I replace the blades often to ensure a sharp edge.. (and because I bought a hundred blades with the knife 10 years ago)

The thickness is .2217 (or some BS like that). Basically, just under 1/4 inch. If anyone needs a piece, I'd be willing to sell some of whats left to help recoop my investment. I'll only be using a piece 24" long by maybe 8" wide, maybe less.

Dave (Acroholic) went way out of his way for me. Instead of just cuttung the acrylic, he also glued together the entire overflow box I wanted, and it looks very professionally done! I wanted to give Dave a public THANK YOU for all the hard work he put in for me!

Thanks again man! You're what this club is all about!

Back