Cuz no one ever answers on the build thread...

crewdawg1981

Market
Reaction score
Got some questions about my stocking list:

So I've got a 180 that I've had up and running now since November. It connects with a 135 gallon sump in the basement where I am running a BRS dual reactor and an SRO xp3000int skimmer. I've got ~200-225lbs of LR in the display and will be adding more to the sump as fundage begins to free up.

having said that... after 5 months I really want to get some fish in there. I have a few in the sump right now (a 24x24 section that will be a frag section in the future) that I was waiting to move up until after a final aquascaping which I did last week. I've been told several different theories on which to put in first and which last.

In general, I'd think it best to put the tangs in last; however, I have a blue hippo in my sump that I was keeping down there so he wouldnt lay claim to the whole tank before I had the chance to add any other tangs. If I go with the other fish first, then he will be in the 24x24 for a while... a loooong while. Should I just do my tangs first?

I am mulling over my stocking list and would like some opinions as to the order.

Tangs:
- Blue Hippo Tang
- Blonde Naso Tang
- Powder Blue
- ... another tang. Was thinking a clown (though maybe too aggressive), achilles, chevron.

Magnificent Foxface
Copperband Butterfly (maaaaaybe)
Black Ice Semi-Snowflake Clowns (Pair)
Anthias (likely Lyretails - a male and 3-4 females)
Bluespot Jawfish (I know I know... I've had one and LOVED IT, so I'm doing it again)
Midas Blenny
Lawnmower Blenny
Red Mandarin
Royal Gramma
Yasha and shrimp
Small fish you hardly ever see
and... maaaaybe a small school of chromis... thinking 5-7.

Soooo... which order?! Ideally I think I'd do the tangs last, BUT I have one already that I've been keeping in the sump... he cant stay there forever. I figure if I go tangs first I could throw him up in the DT before he goes crazy. Otherwise, if I do tangs last... he could be down there for a LOOOONG time.

HELP

(replies to the build thread are welcomed :) )

all tangs are different in temperment, but in general I would add the clown, achiles and powder blue all at once and at the end if possible. Rest I dont think it will matter, but all at once is always a good idea if possible.

That said. I have had good luck with aclimating fish using a basket of some kind(usually a critter cage with some holes drilled) and taping printed pictures of both the current fish(that might be aggressive to the new guy) and the new guy on the side of the tank. let them get used to the situation and release the new guys after the lights are out, and leave the pics up for a few days.

oh and for the chromis, if you want 5-7...get 20.

Hey! Someone Replied!!!

Thanks for the comments. I would love to get the Achilles and Chevron now... but those guys are pricey! I may have to buy them later.

I added my tangs together.. although they "play rough" on occasion.. they get along most of the time..

Purple Tang
Yellow Tang
Scopas Tang

EnderG60;622613 wrote: all tangs are different in temperment, but in general I would add the clown, achiles and powder blue all at once and at the end if possible. Rest I dont think it will matter, but all at once is always a good idea if possible.

That said. I have had good luck with aclimating fish using a basket of some kind(usually a critter cage with some holes drilled) and taping printed pictures of both the current fish(that might be aggressive to the new guy) and the new guy on the side of the tank. let them get used to the situation and release the new guys after the lights are out, and leave the pics up for a few days.

oh and for the chromis, if you want 5-7...get 20.

I agree about the tangs, but think adding those (clown achilles and PB) is a terrible idea. Youll have massive aggression which will likely result in death in one or maybe all of them. Maybe not immediately, but it will happen.

And if you go with a copperband, get it in before any tangs.

Overall, while a 180 sounds big, for big, aggressive, mean fish like those tangs, I dont think its a good idea. Chevron will be much better.

jmaneyapanda;622626 wrote: I agree about the tangs, but think adding those (clown achilles and PB) is a terrible idea. Youll have massive aggression which will likely result in death in one or maybe all of them. Maybe not immediately, but it will happen.

And if you go with a copperband, get it in before any tangs.

Overall, while a 180 sounds big, for big, aggressive, mean fish like those tangs, I dont think its a good idea. Chevron will be much better.

I figured the clown was out... I've only heard bad things about it anyways.

In reality it would be 3-4, not 5-6 tangs. I'm definitely going to go with a hippo and powder blue (have always liked these two and wanted em in my tank). The remaining guests are interchangeable. I've heard that the Nasos are very easygoing (for tangs). And then I'd like to get a chevron or achilles... not both. I was leaning achilles though (I take it you think I should go chevron?)

The copperband, while I really like them, is quickly falling out of my fish list. I've got a few soft corals, including a sun coral that I just got and have always wanted, that I worry he might bother. I know several have stated they dont have any issues... but ya never know and getting it out might prove difficult.

Crewdawg1981;622633 wrote: I figured the clown was out... I've only heard bad things about it anyways.

In reality it would be 3-4, not 5-6 tangs. I'm definitely going to go with a hippo and powder blue (have always liked these two and wanted em in my tank). The remaining guests are interchangeable. I've heard that the Nasos are very easygoing (for tangs). And then I'd like to get a chevron or achilles... not both. I was leaning achilles though (I take it you think I should go chevron?)

The copperband, while I really like them, is quickly falling out of my fish list. I've got a few soft corals, including a sun coral that I just got and have always wanted, that I worry he might bother. I know several have stated they dont have any issues... but ya never know and getting it out might prove difficult.

An achilles and PB are gonna be at each others throats. Both very aggressive, and very sensitive. A chevron is a better common ground.

FWIW, in my 225, I've got a yellow, hippo, naso, yellow eye/kole and just added a vlamingi tang (Thanks Stoney1118!).

jmaneyapanda;622642 wrote: An achilles and PB are gonna be at each others throats. Both very aggressive, and very sensitive. A chevron is a better common ground.

<span style="color: black"><span style="font-family: Verdana">+1 on the Achilles vs. PB. I have/had both and they are very dominant fish. On the hippo tang, I don’t think it would really matter on timing as long as you put it in after the CB (pretty sensitive). I’ve had several hippos and haven’t really had them bother other fish. Other than that, I’d mix the rest in … remaining tangs second to last and PB/Achilles last.</span></span>

Ive had the naso and the chevron.....both are very easy going so id prob suggest the chevron as well. From that stocklist that you have listed, you will realize that space will fill up very quickly as im only 30 gallons shy of yours and i think i have about 14 fish total if that.

ot
How u like ur reef octo? I am thinking either a sro3000 or a sro5000... maybe the cone.. for my similar setup

gmpolan;622675 wrote: Ive had the naso and the chevron.....both are very easy going so id prob suggest the chevron as well. From that stocklist that you have listed, you will realize that space will fill up very quickly as im only 30 gallons shy of yours and i think i have about 14 fish total if that.

Yeah, I realize its a long list, but its really a wish list versus an actual and several of the fish are more of the perch and watch type versus the swimming/active type ... depending on who you ask... that factors. Either way I plan on doing my best to increase slowly and appropriately.

(The chromis prolly wont happen).

1mbrews8;622678 wrote: ot
How u like ur reef octo? I am thinking either a sro3000 or a sro5000... maybe the cone.. for my similar setup

To be honest... I dont know yet. The bioload in my tank is so small that the the skimmer has been running fairly erratic. It will pull stuff for a few days then overflow. I'm still figuring out how to fine tune it and deciding if I need to raise it up a little (its currently in 6.5 inches of water which was recommended, but I may raise it).

Back