Cyanide Poisoining

steve

Market
Reaction score
Anyone know what it looks like? Pictures? Or even marine velvet?

Help is needed!

Exactly what Charlie said... You can look for a BRIGHT red color to the gills and that will help tip you off to.

Marine velvet looks like baby powder all over the fish.

johnr2604;246828 wrote: Will it make them more likely to get secondary infections?

Could make them more likely to get a parasite and other illness but that is just a theory. The thought is that it could weaken the immune system to the point of it picking up something else. But to me that is like saying, "For every Twinkie you eat, you die 5 min sooner." You would need to know when I was going to die before the Twinkie and then compare it to when I do die after the Twinkie!

You just hope it is not Velvet. Nasty NASTY bug. You can try to treat cyanide with Meth blue and good water quality and food.

I personally have not seen my fish in a few days, it is in a friends tank, holding it till my new tank goes up, and if she wants to comment on the condition of it then so be it... I just hope it isn't the Velvet... I believe that is what I fought when my first crash occured...

Ya there is no "garlic" that can cure velvet. (or ich, ;) ) You need to treat and treat quick. Velvet usually kills within 48 hours.

How sure are you that it won't spread to other fish??? I just lost a couple of clown fish. Sounds like that is what they died from. It is exactly how you described. A couple days later i lost my bi color blennie. Noticed in his last couple of days he had the spiratic swimming and lost the ability to swim at all. He had been in my tank for about 2 months.

Cyanide poison can not spread between fish... It is about how they are caught in the wild.

Velvet very much can spread!!!

Which one are you asking about Zavala?

And velvet? How do fish catch that? Does it look slimmy on the fish?

zavala83;246895 wrote: And velvet? How do fish catch that? Does it look slimmy on the fish?

Fish catch Velvet from other fish OR INVERTS... It looks like a goldish baby powder sprinkled on the sides of the fish. It will cause the fish to look "velvet" in texture. Because the parasite is so much smaller then Ich, no one has been able to get a good picture of it.

Here is about the best one I can find:

PremnasSICK.jpg
alt="" />

You can kind of see how the fish looks pale in color and "soft".

Barbara;246897 wrote: Here's the deal in a nutshell.

My tank's been established, up and running for 3-4 years, counting from the original establishment of the 55G, no sump, adding 29G sump a year later, converting to a 90G about a year ago, then adding a 20G frag tank to the mix about 6 months ago. Current system is a mixed reef, heavy on the SPS, but most still frags.

Current livestock:
Mated pair of false percs, somewhere between 3 to 3.5 years old, in the tank about that same amount of time.
Their RBTA, in the tank for almost a year
Blue Hippo tang, in the tank for just over a year
One spot foxface, in the tank just over a year
Female mandarin, in the tank just under a year, currently moved to the frag tank
Engineer goby, in my care over a year, but moved to the 90G about 2-3 months ago.
Lubbocks fairy wrasse, in the system over 6 months
Finespot fairy wrasse, in the system over 6 months
Male red mandarin, added a month ago.
Lawnmower blenny, from another reefer, in the tank 3-4 weeks
Pair of flame wrasses, added 2 weeks ago
Pair of Swallowtail angels, added to the frag tank on Wednesday night.

Tank condition and recent chronicles:
- Blue Hippo tang prone to Ich, shows 2-3 "pops" every 3-4 weeks, with last active infection 3-4 months ago.
- Foxface jumped in overflow about a month ago, and was in there 1.5 weeks; when extracted, he was covered with Ich; no other tankmates infected. Foxface made a complete recovery.
- Added 2 flame wrasses about 1.5 weeks ago. Blue Hippo and Finespot wrasse bully flames constantly. Flames don't come out; stay hidden in the rockwork. Male flame suffers injury (suspected bite from Blue Hippo) 2 days ago. Today bite mark completely healed; no signs of injury.
- Wednesday night - added 2 Swallowtail Angels to Frag tank (not 90G display, but plumbed into the system through common sump). Male angel eating like a champ; female eating, but not like the male.
- Thursday and Friday, the angels eating frozen foods and pellets with gusto; physical signs all healthy. No trouble eating, breathing or swimming. Bodies fat and healthy looking, eyes clear, scales normal.
- Saturday - The poop starts hitting the fan. Male Angel dead; Female Angel not eating as well as she was.
- Sunday - The poop continues. Blue Hippo Tang covered in the worst case of Ich I've ever seen (or what looks like ich. Actually looks like someone sprinkled baby powder all over him), but still eating. Female Angel also covered in the same ich-like infection and eating less than ever. Flame wrasses showing ich at a moderate level, but still eating with gusto. Foxface having difficulty breathing. At this point the Lubbocks doesn't seem to be affected, pair of clowns not affected much, engineer goby okay, mandarin okay.

What the heck happened????

Brenda, If the fish looked like they had Ich, then they did not have velvet. (Unless your brought in velvet on the wrass and it made the fish weakend and Ich latched on too) Now the quickness of everything being dead would lend me to believe it is something nasty. Have any fish survived?!? If anyone saves a fish for me, I can look at it under a microscope and know for sure but that is about the only way to tell. Velvet is a NASTY bug, I can not say it enough. It is like Ich on steroids. Treatment is harsh and long. Makes treating Ich look like a walk in the park. If you think you have velvet, make sure you are not traiding ANYTHING out of your tanks without disclosing it! If you take anything in from a member or LFS, make sure you are QTing it. If this crud is going around, you need to protect yourself!!!

Keep me updated... I think you are right about it being Ich as a second source infection.

Few things:

Make sure you are running water throught that UV VERY slowly. Most "ratings" that come with a UV are way too fast to kill anything.

Your female angel might have an internal problem (ie, swim bladder). you might consider, if she is easy to catch, treating with epsom salts and Meth Blue.

Since the other fish are in the main tank, catching them might stress them out more. Just keep good water quality and good food. Hope for the best.

Best of luck babe, I know this is a stressful time for you.

I'm the experienced reefer Barb mentioned and it was definitely ich that I was seeing. The UV is the one off my tank. It's got a proven track record of elminating nasties as it wiped out many an ich infesation in my tank and Lee's. I think its important to optomize the flow through the pump to the UV instead of making it super slow... Making it too slow just lessens its effectiveness as you're not processing as much water as you ideally could. It's a 36 watt uv so it can handle a good amount of flow. I did quite a bit of testing to determine the flow threshold for 100% algae kill rates. I then throttled the flow down a few notches to account for loss of effectiveness over time.

Barbara, do whatever you feel is neccassary... Thanks for all your help and sorry they brought that into the tank...

LOL. I knew there was a chance I flipped the wrong switch :).

I actually do lower my temperature when there's an ich out break. I feel it helps to better oxygenate the tank. Fish with heavy ich infestations always have trouble breathing due to the damage to their gills and having more oxygen in the tank can only help. I know that Jon runs his tank at 73 during the winter months to simulate natural conditions. So 72 shouldn't be an issue to continue running your tank at while they recover? Might also slow the ich down so the UV can zap more of em...

I have to agree that there is no way that ich wiped out a tank that quickly. IME, ich usually is a result of some other issue in the tank (added stress factors including quick changes in h20, too many fish added too quickly....ammonia spike, general bad h20 quality, and aggression.)
You have a few of these, but I don't think that ich is the issue. Is has too be a serious issue with H20 quality or velvet. How do your corals look?

Back