cyano and new reef

wantsummora acropora

Supporting
Reaction score
Hi all, My tank is 5-6 months old. I have fish and a few corals. I have what looks like cyano on my pumps and overflow. Having a new tank that's going through the new tank processes I was wondering if it is something I should treat for, adjust feeding habits or what? Thanks for any help.

Cyano can be in fresh or saltwater. Most of the time the cause of it is where your getting your water. So even when you get rid of it you can still get it again later if it is the water your using. I have used chemiclean before and this stuff worked great for me. The algae died in 3 to 4 days and started to come off my rocks and sand so I sucked up as much as I could putting the water back in the tank to be able to keep sucking it out of the sand. Mine was really bad in a 125 gallon. but after all was gone I did a 50% water change and in 2 days it was back. So thats when I realized it was my water and I was a noob and didn't treat my water cause I was an idiot. So then I started buying my water from the LFS problem was gone forever.

Anyway I would try the Chemiclean or someone my chime in with a better option , cause I dont know 100% of nothing just a little about everything.

Cyanobacteria isn't uncommon in a young tank. I usually just remove as much as possible during water changes or use chemiclean if that doesnt work.. Here is an article with some good information on it and how to get rid of it.

Cyano can be in fresh or saltwater. Most of the time the cause of it is where your getting your water. So even when you get rid of it you can still get it again later if it is the water your using. I have used chemiclean before and this stuff worked great for me. The algae died in 3 to 4 days and started to come off my rocks and sand so I sucked up as much as I could putting the water back in the tank to be able to keep sucking it out of the sand. Mine was really bad in a 125 gallon. but after all was gone I did a 50% water change and in 2 days it was back. So thats when I realized it was my water and I was a noob and didn't treat my water cause I was an idiot. So then I started buying my water from the LFS problem was gone forever.

Anyway I would try the Chemiclean or someone my chime in with a better option , cause I dont know 100% of nothing just a little about everything.
Were you using treated dechlorinated tap water or your own ro/di? Just wondering

Some people say, "Nothing good happens fast in a reef tank". Those people have not used Chemiclean. Cyano came on strong and fast in my reef. Chemiclean took it out even faster. (Now I gotta get these damn nutrients under control). I was worried about my corals and nems but all are thriving.

Some people say, "Nothing good happens fast in a reef tank". Those people have not used Chemiclean. Cyano came on strong and fast in my reef. Chemiclean took it out even faster. (Now I gotta get these damn nutrients under control). I was worried about my corals and nems but all are thriving.
If you use Chemiclean just be sure to follow the directions on the box carefully (increase surface turnover/gas exchange). A power head pointed at the surface helps. We have kept the skimmer on in the past and either removed the collection cup or turned it way down, otherwise it will overflow and/or skim the medicine out rapidly. Stuff works well though. They also recommend a 30% water change after 48 hours to remove the dead cyano from the water column.

Back