Cyano issues

ThaGlasMan1

Supporting
Reaction score
Chemi-pure or chemi-clean? Which do I need? I had an explosion about 3 weeks ago. It killed all of my coral. I went dark for about a week and "killed off" all of the red that I saw. I blew off my walls and all of the rock, and removed all the debris that was visible (even moved all the rockwork). But now I see it coming back. Am I going to have to buy new live rock? And if I do, will my tank be able to support my aquatic life? It's a 76 gal tank, with only 6 fish at the moment.

No need to buy new rock. If anything that might make things worse since you would reset your cycle. I would try to figure out what went wrong, whether that be bad water parameters or low flow or inadequate filtration or something. I've had good results using chemiclean but the cyano will probably come back if the underlying cause is not addressed.

I would do a big water change and get as much cyano and detritus out as possible. Increase flow, make sure nutrients are in check (especially phosphate), and add some good bacteria like Fritz Zyme (a guy on R2R tested a bunch of brands and found fritz to be one of the best). Can also try running only blue light for a while. If you have a skimmer make sure it's working efficiently. If you don't have one, maybe look into getting one lol

You can use chemiclean to help eliminate it quickly but with a major outbreak like that you definitely need to take additional steps like those I listed

No issues like this since I started (2017). But I just had a cord (inside the tank) on my powerhead break. And I noticed all of my coral, and inverts were dead. Then a couple days later that's when the cyano appeared everywhere. I have done a 30% water change (about 1½ wks ago), but I noticed it coming back. So I went back into dark mode. I'm off tomorrow, so I'll be going to Animarts to have my water tested and see what I all I need to do.
Thanks for that info you provided!!

I've completely gotten rid of that saltwater setup. I just cleaned everything up & out, and converted the tank into a freshwater one. No more problems, lol!

Well, that's one way to do it @ThaGlasMan1 ! If everything was wiped, it's really not a bad option. Inquiring minds wan to know - hows the new setup looking?

Back