Cycled quarantine tank...

Shawn

Market
Reaction score
So I got my powder blue in quarantine. I dropped a bottle of Fritz nitrifying bacteria in the tank with a biowheel filter (carbon removed - just the poly) and a sponge filter/air line. Thermometer and some pvc as well. Two days later my ammonia is through the roof and my tang is super lethargic. I did a 75% water change two hours ago and the tang is looking better. So my question is how do you maintain low ammonia and still dose cupramine? This whole quarantine is new to me and I don't want to lose any fish. I've still got the hippo tang in the display and while he looks bad, he's acting fine and eating like a pig. I can't do metro/focus in my display as it's already killed my pistol shrimp and god knows what else. Basically - I'm struggling to figure out what to do.

Frequent water changes, daily or every other day, depending on volume may be/or is required.
Test your ammonia daily to figure out how often to do water changes. Once figured out, do it routinely.
Yes, it means buying more meds & salt and is a lot of work/pita.

I wouldn't rely on cycling a hospital tank to try & keep ammonia down.
Also, some appropriately sized pieces of pvc in the hospital tank to provide habitat/reduce stress, along with a bare bottom is usually best. PVC is inert & won't affect meds.
That takes any guess work out of how effective the meds might be. Nothing to adsorb/interfere with effectiveness.

After going through all of this to cleanse your fish of pathogens, prior to putting them in your display.
You then realize how important it is to NOT EVER put water from another tank in your display!
Use a colander for rinsing veggies, place corals in that. Dip corals, then rinse thoroughly with fresh marine water, before putting in display.
You can do a similar thing with fish, after medicating them.
It's like running an isolation ward.

Last edited:
Deng I'm sorry that you are going through this. But I know ARC will pull through and help you out anyway we can.

Have you tried feeding the metro and focus? I've done this numerous times with no ill affects on any inverts or coral and it has worked for well for, I presume, ich.

I've read that some folks use a block of marine pure in their sump to use for this purpose.

But it got me thinking: if the DT is infected, wouldn't the marine pure block be, as well? Maybe having some fresh marine pure on hand and cycle that quickly with Fritz/Biospira is the way to go.

But then... wouldn't it get infected as soon as you added the fish to the QT?

Perhaps I'm overthinking this.

This is the filter I use for both 20 longs. I have one for Fish & Coral. I toss the ceramic media that come with them and load the baskets with Seachem Matrix. I also use some 1/2" PVC pipe and a few fittings to get the filter surface skimming. This helps clear the scum off the surface and keeps the pickup from the water column. When I initially got started I lost 2 cardinals the first night when they got stuck to the water pickup. I've had good luck using Biospira when setting up the QT. I pour a full smaller bottle right into the filter pickup and haven't had an ammonia spike with as many as 4 fish introduced at the same time.

For fish QT's I highly recommend getting Seachem's Ammonia badge. Every time you're at that tank a quick glance lets you know whats going on.

I have also avoided using copper in favor of CP if the fish will tolerate that med.

Lastly, once I get settled into the new house I've been thinking about offering a QT service for local members. Don't know if there will be any interest in that or not.

Here's a couple pic's of the water pickup I put together.
20161118_123740.jpg
20161118_123816.jpg

Last edited:
This is the filter I use for both 20 longs. I have one for Fish & Coral. I toss the ceramic media that come with them and load the baskets with Seachem Matrix. I also use some 1/2" PVC pipe and a few fittings to get the filter surface skimming. This helps clear the scum off the surface and keeps the pickup from the water column. When I initially got started I lost 2 cardinals the first night when they got stuck to the water pickup. I've had good luck using Biospira when setting up the QT. I pour a full smaller bottle right into the filter pickup and haven't had an ammonia spike with as many as 4 fish introduced at the same time.

For fish QT's I highly recommend getting Seachem's Ammonia badge. Every time you're at that tank a quick glance lets you know whats going on.

I have also avoided using copper in favor of CP if the fish will tolerate that med.

Lastly, once I get settled into the new house I've been thinking about offering a QT service for local members. Don't know if there will be any interest in that or not.

Here's a couple pic's of the water pickup I put together.
View attachment 11332
View attachment 11333
I would gladly pay for QT services. Sadly my space is limited in my apartment - once I go bigger I’ll be able to do more.

Back