Dang Cyano!!

Ok, I'm uploading pics to Photobucket as we speak.. I'll have them on here in a minute..

First, I have a Seaclone 150 skimmer, yes it works... or at least it has been pulling green goo from the tank so I have to change it regularly...
Second, I had a Kenya tree give out on me and a rock with some xenia turned white and died.. everything else is still alive.

Also, it's not really on the sand at all.. mostly on the rocks, filters, skimmer intake (which I have cleaned since the pic) Everywhere that a crumb of this stuff lands, it spreads like wildfire!!

DSC_0035.jpg
alt="" />
DSC_0034.jpg
alt="" />
DSC_0033.jpg
alt="" />
DSC_0032.jpg
alt="" />
DSC_0031.jpg
alt="" />
DSC_0030.jpg
alt="" />
DSC_0029.jpg
alt="" />
DSC_0028.jpg
alt="" />
DSC_0027.jpg
alt="" />

Linda Lee;84076 wrote: ...
I already have hermits, nasarius, astreas and nerites* and a rather lazy serpent star.

Thanks!

<span style="font-size: 11px;">*excuse spelling on the snails. Only 1 cup of coffee so far this a.m. and I'm too lazy to look 'em up. Figured you could probably tell which ones I mean.)</span>

:D

I keep about the same as far as snails go, and I keep blue leg equal handed hermits mostly with a couple of red legs as well. I have found that the cyano is the last thing to be eaten. i keep a heavy sized clean up crew because i tend to overfeed. I have about 45 snails and hermits (mostly snails) for a 20 gallon and 5 gallon refuge

I did 15% WC every 2-3 day for the last 2 months and stiff have cryno on my sand. I got a sleeper gobie and in a day it did what I could not. It clearn up all the cryno on the sand and rock.

I know there still some in my system, but the bad cryno look are gone and now I can do more WC to clrearn out my systerm with out have to look at those cryno.

Sleepergobie SAVE my tank from Cryno.

From the pic it look more like coral ling then cryno.

Do you see it on your sand?

How often do you change your water?

They eat my cryno out of my sand. Clearn it up in a day :D

Got to be a sleeper gobie adn not other sand sifting gobie. I try the other and they will not touch the sand if there are cryno on it

Ofcrouse WT and clast those cryno off the rock and suck it out as much as you can will help a lots.

I did a 15% water change just now.. and tried to get as much of the stuff off as I could. I'll do another 20% change on Monday..None of the stores around here have a sleeper goby :( So I guess I can try again next week.

Thank you to everyone for the suggestions and help!!

Oh, would the goby eat the cyano off of the rocks too? I don't really have but a little bit on the sand...

DannyBradley;84078 wrote: The reason you have a drop in O2 is explained in my last post. It combines organic matter with O2. You learn about a process in elementary science where matter is chemically combined with oxygen. The two combine, and release byproducts. It's called oxidization,

Not to sound critical, but oxidation has nothing to do with lack/utilization of oxygen, oxygen is just one of the common reductants, and moreover it will have to come from the organic matter to be effective not from the water, which is counter productive, if you want high oxidants, you might as well use KMnO4 or ozone, and oxidants don't differentiate between bad organic matter and good(coral/fish and other bacteria).... in other words if you target on oxidizing the organic matter you are oxidizing everything else in the tank including the cyano, good bacteria, fish corals.... so I doubt chemi-clean is an oxidizing agent.......
I have no idea what is in this product, but It does work, That being said, cameron has a very valid point, cyano is a bacteria, so anything that kills it (I doubt checmi clean does it either, you could use furan-2 for that since it is a bacteria) or starves it (which is more likely) should have some effect on other bacteria as well... unless there is one specific targeting method that is done by chemi-clean....
I tested it ones in the zeo system, the result was, the cyano went away but I had a outbreak of brown slime algae within a few days, usually a sign of excess carbon source dosage, even though I wasn't, so the only explanation is I lost the good bacterial colony and have offset my bacteria population... and the SPS didn't like the treatment very much either....

My personal suggestion would be to siphon out the cyano every night and replace the removed water...... It maybe a long drawn out process, but a good one.... you can bring the population to balance and improve the health of your system at the same time.... Blue legged hermits do clean out the cyano...

Being that coral and fish are higher lifeforms, they much less likely to be affected than bacteria and organic waste.

Furan 2(principally nitrofurazone), tetracycline, eurithromyacin, etc. will treat the bacteria, not what's causing the bloom. That is the opposite of Chemi Clean. I wouldn't use those as they can produce resistant strains if not dosed correctly, in addition to having a very negative effect on beneficial bacteria.

DannyBradley;84195 wrote: Being that coral and fish are higher lifeforms, they much less likely to be affected than bacteria and organic waste.

Any amount that would oxidize solid organic waste would easily oxidize fish slime and corals..... So you are only targeting docs. There are much better and safer ways to export excess nutrients than once a month chemical purging. And any such method will also affect the nitrogen cycle, and the fact that it is a quick fix, does destabilize your system, depending on what corals you keep you will run into more problems. I think it would be wiser to fix the nutrient import/export balance than to opt for a quick fix. But that is just me.

I have never once seen it destabilize a system. It is such a small amount that it's useful life is going to be exhasuted before the higher organisms have had a chance to be affected by it.

We'll use an extreme example- Bleach, a powerful oxidizer. When bleaching freshwater algae from rocks it takes significant more contact time to kill beard/brush(multicellular) algae than it does slime algae(unicellular).

In certain cases you need a safe, faster alternative than trying to balance nutrient export. As I stated before, RaisingTwo2006 was saying that the cyano was starting to overtake his corals. Having a balanced system is a great prophylactic against cyano and nuisance alga; I will agree with you or anyone else on that. However, I don't think that's the most appropriate solution for this problem. Long term it is, but he needs something more dramatic right now.

Having used and recommended this product extensively for years, and testing while using it, I've never seen an NH3 or NO2 spike while dosing, nor a significant drop in 02 levels. The only cases where anyone has ever had trouble with it were with torch corals, when the tank was not dosed correctly and days after the followup water change was not performed. Every other coral in the tank did fine. It happened on two occasions with the exact same results. I have used it in the presence of all forms of Euphyllia and never had a loss.

DannyBradley;84226 wrote: .
As I stated before, RaisingTwo2006 was saying that the cyano was starting to overtake his corals.

Long term it is, but he needs something more dramatic right now.

Let me introduce myself- Hi, I'm KIMBERLY!! not a single "he" part on my body...

LOL!!:tongue:

Haha.. Sorry. Forgive my arrogance with the using of the male assumption. I guess I should pay more attention to signatures. :)

Kimberly, if you happen to be in the N. Atlanta area anytime soon, I have some chemiclean for you. And it's marketed as "red slime, cyano-bacteria remover", and it should do the trick if used as directed.

RaisingTwo2006;84250 wrote: Let me introduce myself- Hi, I'm KIMBERLY!! not a single "he" part on my body...

LOL!!:tongue:

I'll second that!

LOL!

Thanks Bryan- I don't know when I'll be up there- Dennis goes on vacation next week, so we'll probably be headed up there at least one of those days :)

I think after all of the info, I need something that is a temp. fix for now... since it's in between polyps and stuff.. and then work on keeping it away.. Less feedings, bigger clean up crew, ect. I don't know how much more of these cleanings that my corals are going to take. My zoa have decided to never open up again, and my condi is on the move...

I know that my cucumber eats the stuff, but I can't get him to get eat it off of more than one rock. I guess I could pick him up and put him where I want him..

+1 on the Red Slime Remover. Works like a charm and is reef safe. I have used it many times to rid cyno from ym tanks. Add it as directed and within 2 days it will be gone with no ill effects. Just my 2 cents! Good luck!

Back