Dangerously BIG?

camellia

Supporting
Reaction score
I picked up a baby clown goby & pistol shrimp pair from Shack's, SO cute together!!
The goby is really small, maybe 3/4" long. It's currently in my QT doing well.
I grabbed this guy out of my DT tonight fearing it's too large to have around when the baby goes in. The coin is a penny!
What's your thoughts?
Thanks

C8E5F671-621C-47DF-A7E3-B293C08F48E9_zpskic06trw.jpg
alt="" />

imo they are opportunistic eaters so I would say throw him in the sump.

So you think it Could or its even possible for it to eat a small healthy fish? I took out a hermit a few months ago that was huge when I put in a baby wrasse. Today I feel safe that hermit couldn't hurt the wrasse as its grown twice in size.
But this little guy is going to be living on the sand sooo?
Probably not a question, not worth the risk!

I had Shac order me a pistol shrimp goby combo I'm supposed to pick them up tomorrow. I might have the same problem. I have a pretty large green crab also. Hmm, good point. Wonder if I should take my guy out too?

Also, did Shac have other goby./pistols? He never responded if mine came in. Already paid for them so...

That emerald is not 'big' by emerald standards.

However, they, and all other crabs, are opportunistic - actually mostly everything we keep is opportunistic, but the crab is equipped to take down small fishes.

So yeah, I'd segregate the crab to the sump or some other 'safe' area, at least until your fish grows to a size that makes it unlikely to get caught.

Jenn

scramer74;1021052 wrote: I had Shac order me a pistol shrimp goby combo I'm supposed to pick them up tomorrow. I might have the same problem. I have a pretty large green crab also. Hmm, good point. Wonder if I should take my guy out too?

Also, did Shac have other goby./pistols? He never responded if mine came in. Already paid for them so...

I didn't see any others but I picked these guys up on Thursday. Give him a call or just go, he's got NICE sticks right now!

Jenn, lol point being it IS big, 3 X the size of my other emeralds.

You just reiterated what I've already done. It don't take long for these little fish to grow.

I'd say that one - penny sized, is relatively small, compared to how big they CAN get. We're on the same page :) I've seen some of them get quarter sized (body only, not including legs/claws) or even a bit bigger than that.

Jenn

Optimum aquarium has one in their DT that's half dollar size, possibly larger.
I'm am aware of the size they "can grow" which doesn't bother me as long as they don't pose a threat to tank mates or pinch me! This guy was trying SO hard to, ha!

I'm with you @Camellia! Mine was about the same size and for my little 20gal he looked like a giant. He was fun to watch, but I decided to donate him to Shac ;-) Better safe then sorry!

I picked up my Goby, but lordy, the shrimp was GIANT! Shac's going to order me a peppermint smaller shrimp. I know I won't see him much, but the "lobster" freaked me out. ha. Mr Goby is very pretty though!! He's very shy,hasn't moved much from the first spot he landed. Poor fella.

scramer74;1021146 wrote: I'm with you @Camellia! Mine was about the same size and for my little 20gal he looked like a giant. He was fun to watch, but I decided to donate him to Shac ;-) Better safe then sorry!

I picked up my Goby, but lordy, the shrimp was GIANT! Shac's going to order me a peppermint smaller shrimp. I know I won't see him much, but the "lobster" freaked me out. ha. Mr Goby is very pretty though!! He's very shy,hasn't moved much from the first spot he landed. Poor fella.

Ha a giant, that's funny were they together when you saw them at Shac's?
My Goby was shy but is getting better, swimming about now. I felt bad separating the pair but had no choice. Mines also ONLY eating frozen myisis & I'd recommend treating with Metz for a day or two.
Good luck.

They weren't together in the same tank, but they could "see" each other through the glass. Were yours together? They seemed to be trying to get to one another. Does your Goby have blue dots as well? I dipped the Goby in Seachem Dip for about 20 mins since I don't have a QT. Hopefully that will be ok! So you only QT the fish? I"m still learning all this stuff.

Yes they were together, so cute I had to get them!
It is yellow with blue dots :) and tiny!
The pistol went straight into the DT, can't QT the shrimp but they are pretty safe. The goby is doing well in QT, just keep an eye on its poop :)

Aw! we must have relatives then. My little guy is MIA. I haven't seen him since last night. Why, what do you look for in the poop? Just that he is pooping? I fed the crew coral frenzy yesterday and I did see him eat some of that. Have you ever used that stuff? My clowns will eat it right from the dropper. they go crazy for that stuff!

I dont see an issue. Ive never seen a emerald go after anything that wasnt half dead or already dead.

But I keep my tank well fed.

Camellia;1021373 wrote: Yes they were together, so cute I had to get them!
It is yellow with blue dots :) and tiny!
The pistol went straight into the DT, can't QT the shrimp but they are pretty safe. The goby is doing well in QT, just keep an eye on its poop :)

Curious why you can't qt a shrimp?

Shrimpy Brains;1021618 wrote: Curious why you can't qt a shrimp?

Amy,

It's not that you can't, it would just require a second QT. I treat my new fish with medications that are deadly to shrimp.

The very slight chance that it has parasites doesn't warranty IMO to have two quarantine tanks.

Ha, almost 400 views on this thread!
I put it up because the boards were so boring, thought people needed something to think and post on, lol
Actually it brought up good questions and info too!

Scammer,

Did you find my cousin or is it still MIA?

Camellia;1021624 wrote: Amy,

It's not that you can't, it would just require a second QT. I treat my new fish with medications that are deadly to shrimp.

The very slight chance that it has parasites doesn't warranty IMO to have two quarantine tanks.

Ha, almost 400 views on this thread!
I put it up because the boards were so boring, thought people needed something to think and post on, lol
Actually it brought up good questions and info too!

Scammer,

Did you find my cousin or is it still MIA?

Fair enough.

And thanks for giving us something to talk about! :yay:

Back