DE or SE Metal Halide?

Joe everytime I try to change a DE bulb I break it. I'm super gentle with em too. I don't like em. I'm going to a LB over my frag tank when the time comes to change the bulb in my 150. I'll probably go with a more white bulb to get more growth.

We just need to change you over to SE 400w LB's and be done with it Barbara.

Nope. We can retro that canopy somehow and get some nice reflectors in there... Glass shields wouldnt be a problem... We can still do those. You could also go with LA Mini's...

LB Pendants have a glass shield, not so much for bulb protection but to protect the facets of the reflector from salt spray. But the bulb is protected as well.

sailfish;280349 wrote: Maybe I am the only one to break a DE while removing it. I have been known to man handle things that don't need to be. :)

Joe

Joe,
I have owned two different Current DE halide fixtures, and each time the bulbs were broken in the sockets when I unpacked them. Current replaced them all, but if they just packed them separately in the same box instead of shipping them installed they'd save themselves a lot of warranty cost..

I think the trick with DE bulbs is to make sure you have even pressure on both sides when you install or remove them from the socket.

The glass shields are a nice option on the finished reflectors. I only wish those were available when I bought mine. The beauty about the LBs are you should have less splash on the reflectors because at the height you should be running them....mine get slight splash when I turn on my return and the force of the water makes that initial crash into the disp. If you're getting cracked bulbs in LB's, you're either running them too low or you must be keeping some crazy spaztic fish in your tank. Go with the glass covered ones though, they will extend the life of the reflectors (keeping them clean and helping produce full PAR all the time) and honestly, they are so efficient that the glass reduction on the PAR is very minimal.

glxtrix;280678 wrote: The glass shields are a nice option on the finished reflectors. I only wish those were available when I bought mine. The beauty about the LBs are you should have less splash on the reflectors because at the height you should be running them....mine get slight splash when I turn on my return and the force of the water makes that initial crash into the disp. If you're getting cracked bulbs in LB's, you're either running them too low or you must be keeping some crazy spaztic fish in your tank. Go with the glass covered ones though, they will extend the life of the reflectors (keeping them clean and helping produce full PAR all the time) and honestly, they are so efficient that the glass reduction on the PAR is very minimal.

word

I have got question related to this. If i buy a glass shield that has UV protection can I use my creaked bulb? I know I am being a baby and need to throw it away but it is such a waste.

My returns do cause a lot of bubbles and such when I turn them on.

Joe

I asked at a glass shop once from UV filtering glass, and the quote was astronomical. They sue it in home with big picture windows so everything inside doesnt fade. I am not sure what manufacturers use, but I am guessing just getting a new bulb might be easier.

Using "regular" glass won't work. It'll shatter within minutes.

If you go to some of the discount framers, i"ve had luck getting much better pricing on the UV filtered glass. I had a small piece cut for a DIY mini lumenmax reflector at Hobby Lobby and it was quite reasonable (less than $10)

Back