Decision making disorder and I need help...

harleyguy

Market
Reaction score
<span style="color: black;">So here's the deal...</span>
<span style="color: black;"> </span>
<span style="color: black;">After getting home from Iraq I decided that I was going to set up my 720 (actually not 720 gallons more like 670 but who's counting) but with time and the possibility of having to move in 2 years I decided that I would wait. So I am going to get a "smaller" tank for the living room. Here is where my decision making disorder kicks in... </span>
<span style="color: black;"> I fell in love with the depth of the new Marineland deep tank series and have a great spot for a 60" tank. So I started shopping for price on one of these babies... which are not cheep. So I called 2 vendors and got quotes for my tank. The first vendor was Glasscages. I have heard a ton of stuff about them, some of it good most of it bad, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to get a quote. The quote came in with a good price as I expected (they have a reputation for being inexpensive) and they said I could pick the tank up in about 3 weeks. I then decided to call Aquarium Obsessed. I have talked with both Will and John there several times and find them both to be extremely likable. The price was higher, but I asked for a little more from them because they have more capability than the others.</span>
<span style="color: black;"> So with all that said here is what I have to decide about... (I'm leaving out priced to protect the innocent... if you want prices please PM me)</span>
<span style="color: black;">Option 1: Marineland 60"x36"x27" (250 Gallons) with Starfire front glass and 2 corner overflows </span>
<span style="color: black;">Option 2: Glasscages 60"x36"x27" (250 Gallons) with Starfire front and sides, 1 center overflow euro braced with one center support $320 cheaper that Marineland, but I have to pick it up in Tennessee</span>
<span style="color: black;">Option 3: Aquarium Obsessed 60"x36"x26" (243 Gallons) with Starfire front and side, 1 external overflow euro braced with no center support, back and inside the external overflow painted black and 4 "return holes in the back glass. $785 more than Marineland, but includes shipping.</span>
<span style="color: black;">Sorry for the extreme length of this thread, but I really do need help and I'd love to hear your comments and opinions.</span>
<span style="color: black;">Thanks</span>
<span style="color: black;">Shane</span>

sounds like the marineland is the one to go with to me-b/c you get two overflows in the corners-they have great tanks, and all

the main thing I have heard about GC's is they have POOR service. I haven't dealt personally with them, but I understand that they make a nice tank for cheap, but you've gotta put up with a lot of crap-ie you meet them in 1/2 hour to pick up your tank or go to tenessee to pick up, no returncalls, etc. etc.--the 3rd one seems nice, but to me is outof the question for the extra $$$-it'd be b/t the GC and marineland one to me-

My own personal choice:

"Option 1: Marineland 60"x36"x27" (250 Gallons) with Starfire front glass and 2 corner overflows" WITH a custom stand built for you here in Atlanta.

There are stand builders ARC members have used. The Marineland stand is too short for most reef equipment. That is the only downside (I can see) to
those Marineland deep tanks, is the low boy height of the Marineland stands that they sell with them.

I have a Marineland 265 gallon reef ready aquarium set up as a planted tank and I like it very much.

Also, with the Marineland tank you can see it before you take delivery, and you don't have to drive to Franklin, Tennessee to do it.

The ony downside to Glasscages I hear about is the hit and miss quality of their workmanship. Some folks love them, some hate them.
Dave

I have a custom 95 from Glass Cages and had no problems what so ever. Drove to pick it up in the middle of no where TN. The gentleman there (owner) was very nice and showed me around the warehouse where they had at least 1000 tanks of all sizes. They make "racks" of tanks for LFS nationwide. They even do glass bird cages. Some may have had a bad experience but from the first call to pick up they were very nice to me.

Darren

Option 3 hands down. Its vastly suprerior imo. External overflows look so clean and you rarely ever see those in glass tanks. Starfire on 3 sides and no center brace? That's going to look fantastic with less lighting quandries. Free shipping helps but even without it I would say it was worth the extra cash.

dawgdude;253407 wrote: If your moving soon and its not your dream system, get the glass cages tank then. It will still be a great tank, just check the craftsmanship before picking it up! Your a smart guy, you will notice any defects that could cause a problem.

<span style="color: black">I will be moving in about 2 years, but I will likely keep this tank. So whatever I get has to be nice. I really like this size tank and later (after the big tank is up) I will likely convert it to an aggressive tank.</span>

Acroholic;253408 wrote: My own personal choice:

"Option 1: Marineland 60"x36"x27" (250 Gallons) with Starfire front glass and 2 corner overflows" WITH a custom stand built for you here in Atlanta.

There are stand builders ARC members have used. The Marineland stand is too short for most reef equipment. That is the only downside (I can see) to
those Marineland deep tanks, is the low boy height of the Marineland stands that they sell with them.

I have a Marineland 265 gallon reef ready aquarium set up as a planted tank and I like it very much.

Also, with the Marineland tank you can see it before you take delivery, and you don't have to drive to Franklin, Tennessee to do it.

The ony downside to Glasscages I hear about is the hit and miss quality of their workmanship. Some folks love them, some hate them.
Dave

<span style="color: black">The stand will be built locally in sections in order to get it through the door and get the height I want. </span>

ares;253409 wrote: guessing at the prices, since I shopped the same places for my tank, I know the price difference is probably in the neighboorhood of double glass cages, which is really tempting.

if you can stomach an acrylic tank, hit up MRC. they had very reasonable prices, higher than glass cages, but plenty close enough for me to pick them. glass cages is a fine tank, all tanks can have issues, GC just has NO warrenty support, they say it does, but just realize whatever happens will somehow not be covered.

<span style="color: black">I really like glass, and would only go with acrylic when the cost of doing the tank in glass greatly outweighs the benefits... like me pseudo 720 LOL</span>

FutureInterest;253417 wrote: Option 3 hands down. Its vastly suprerior imo. External overflows look so clean and you rarely ever see those in glass tanks. Starfire on 3 sides and no center brace? That's going to look fantastic with less lighting quandries. Free shipping helps but even without it I would say it was worth the extra cash.

<span style="color: black">If they gave me free shipping I wouldn't even have to think. The only thing that's holding me back is the cost... They make a beautiful tank...</span>

I would get a price from AGA. They make tanks with PVC bottoms. Makes it twice as light and can cut all the wholes you want. I got quote and it was reasonable for a custom tank.

http://www.acrylicandglassexhibits.com/">http://www.acrylicandglassexhibits.com/</a>

Joe

AGE only sells to stores. They have there own store and sell to the public that way but their prices are what they would expect a LFS to sell for and you have to pey shipping to get it from Texas. I got a quote for a 60 gallon cube with external overflow and they were extremly high (over $1500 shipped). I love their work and they are probably the best out there, but that comes with a price.

sailfish;253436 wrote: I would get a price from AGA. They make tanks with PVC bottoms. Makes it twice as light and can cut all the wholes you want. I got quote and it was reasonable for a custom tank.

http://www.acrylicandglassexhibits.com/">http://www.acrylicandglassexhibits.com/</a>

Joe[/QUOTE]

I think Aquarium Obsessed would be the way to go. Starfire Glass,An external overflow,painted,drilled,delivered for only $785 more.......A no brainer IMO. Hindsight, I wish I would have went that route with my big tank.

FutureInterest;253417 wrote: Option 3 hands down. Its vastly suprerior imo. External overflows look so clean and you rarely ever see those in glass tanks. Starfire on 3 sides and no center brace? That's going to look fantastic with less lighting quandries. Free shipping helps but even without it I would say it was worth the extra cash.

Totally agree wit Jin on this. Love my AO tank with external overflow.

Wow they were 1,000 less then Deep sea aquatic custom quote. But that did not include the stores cut.:unsure: Pm the price from AO if you do not mind.

Joe

Harleyguy;253535 wrote: AGE only sells to stores. They have there own store and sell to the public that way but their prices are what they would expect a LFS to sell for and you have to pey shipping to get it from Texas. I got a quote for a 60 gallon cube with external overflow and they were extremly high (over $1500 shipped). I love their work and they are probably the best out there, but that comes with a price.

The way I see it. I would rather get the glasscages and save the few extra hundred bucks to thousand bucks and put into something useful like (corals, fish, equipments.). After a while when the corallines cake up, all tanks look the same to me. Like you say, you are planning to use it for 2 years and eventually concentrate on you larger tank.

Call Tim at MRC. He makes some beautiful Glass tanks (cut on a glass CNC!). Being a local company helps too!

purpleGORILLA;253692 wrote: The way I see it. I would rather get the glasscages and save the few extra hundred bucks to thousand bucks and put into something useful like (corals, fish, equipments.). After a while when the corallines cake up, all tanks look the same to me. Like you say, you are planning to use it for 2 years and eventually concentrate on you larger tank.

That's great if the tank doesn't leak. With GC, that's a probability. With the other builders...not a chance.

James S.;253715 wrote: Didn't know MRC does Glass???? Good info!

Oh yeah! You just don't normally here about them (they not cheapies like GC!).

Back