Decision making disorder and I need help...

I would love to see what one looks like. If it is anything like their other products I'm sure they are SWEET!

<span style="color: black">As I mentioned in another thread, I have a GC tank myself. I have a 72x24x31. It had great craftsmanship. I was extremely worried before I picked it up in Atlanta because of the bad rep they receive but was shocked at the quality. I shopped around also. The only issue with the tank you have listed from them is it is a center overflow. I would ask if they would make you one with 2 corner overflows verses the one center. I know a few other people with large tanks from GC and not one of them has an issue. They only issue I had with them was they forgot to put a bulkhead in the box when shipped. The driver verified it and I received one 2 days later via FedEx. They even called me to apologize for the inconvenience. The only other thing I would mention is that they do not skimp on silicone for the corners. It is thicker than most tanks you buy yet not sloppy, at least it wasn't on mine. Now maybe I am an exception to the rule but they did me right and gave me great quality product at an affordable price. Good luck with your decision.</span>

ares;253744 wrote: I dont think its a probability, and there is 0 doubt that other tanks can leak.

now, less likely to leak? I could definitely agree with that.

gaurenteed to get a replacement tank if it does? absolutely. GC, almost assuredly not.

HOWEVER, the fact that you could buy 2 glass cage tanks for the price of some other makers... thats significant. not saying either way, but the simple shipping costs of AO is a real drawback, because that is not even something your getting for your money, its just straight money burned unfortunatly.

How many people/threads can you find with bad experiences with the other manufacturer's tanks? How many can you find about GC? That tells you that it's more than merely "less likely".

You're right about the cost difference though. GC is cheap, very cheap. If you get a good one like Rickey, you've just saved a ton of money. What if you don't? Do you feel comfortable with the "what if"? If so, then it's okay.

Have any of you Glass Cages haters ever owned one or are you just going by what you have heard? Just curious. No I don't own stock or anything like that just find it strange that people can be so sure that something is bad without ever owning the product.

Ares the stand they made for me is MUCH nicer / stronger than any basic name brand stand out there. You are welcome to come see mine if you would like.

I looked around on RC regarding GC's rep. About 90% of the threads I found regarding bad info were a friend of a friend of a friend had one and it sucked type thing. All the people that posted that owned one were very pleased with them. I was thinking of going with them for a rimless, but that will have to wait till another date. All in all I figured they were like AGA or Aqueon tanks. Marineland stuff or any other is going to be alot nicer but your going to pay for it. Guess it really depends on what you wanna fork out for something and if you can afford to fork that amount out. I for one would like to get a Marineland tank or equivalent but can't afford it, so GC or AGA or another would be my price point.

Just my 2 cents! Happy Reefing!! :up:

Nickskains that is what I found to before I bought from them. Everyone said that they were rude and built crappy tanks. I was a little scared the first time I called them but they were very polite and answered all of my questions. Then I checked with people that had actually bought tanks from them and they were for the most part very pleased with their tank. The only negative I heard from owners were that the silicone was a little messy in some spots. I did not even have that issue.

Ares that is the best way to get one. I am outgrowing my current tank and will be searching the area over to find a good used one. When I bought this tank I waited for like 3 months for a used one of similar size to be posted but it never did. :(

<span style="color: black">I have been shopping for used tanks for a while as well... I found a few that I really liked and for one reason or another I decided to pass. One of the biggest problems I have with a used tank is finding the size I want. I have room for a tank between 60" and 66" but I have plenty of depth and sizes like that simply don't come up that often. For the tanks I have listed they all have pros and cons for me. </span>
<span style="color: black">Here are my thoughts on each:</span>
<span style="color: black"> </span>
<span style="color: black">Glasscages:</span>
<span style="color: black">Pros:</span>
<span style="color: black">Cheapest</span>
<span style="color: black">Built with 3 sides Starfire</span>
<span style="color: black">Can have custom holes placed</span>
<span style="color: black">No shipping</span>
<span style="color: black">No tax</span>
<span style="color: black">Cons:</span>
<span style="color: black">Reputation</span>
<span style="color: black">Must have a center brace</span>
<span style="color: black">I have to go pick it up</span>
<span style="color: black">Lack of "real" warrantee</span>
<span style="color: black">Marineland:</span>
<span style="color: black">Quality built tough tank</span>
<span style="color: black">Warrantee</span>
<span style="color: black">Starfire front</span>
<span style="color: black">No delivery and a relatively short trip to pick it up</span>
<span style="color: black">Corner overflows... (My tank will be viewable from 3 sides)</span>
<span style="color: black">Starfire only on the front</span>
<span style="color: black">I have to pay tax on it</span>
<span style="color: black">Aquarium Obsessed:</span>
<span style="color: black">Built exactly the way I want</span>
<span style="color: black">External overflow</span>
<span style="color: black">Eurobraced with no center support</span>
<span style="color: black">Starfire front and sides</span>
<span style="color: black">Cost</span>
<span style="color: black">I have to pay shipping</span>
<span style="color: black">To be honest if the price difference wasn't so large this would be a no brainer, but the price difference is large and that's why the decision making disorder.</span>
<span style="color: black">As for a stand... It will be custom built (by a local cabinet company) in 3 parts to fit through the door. </span>

I would buy the GC tank with no holes or overflows. When you get it home you can drill it yourself and put a coast to coast acrylic black overflow in the back. I plan on going this route, i am eventually buying their 300g wide tank. Save the most money and customise the overflow yourself the way you like it.

Darren, you're right that I have not owned a gc tank. My business partner has. It leaked at the seams and fell apart.

I've also had a few good friends who've ordered from them with horror stories. So, even though they're not my experiences, they're pretty dran close!

To be fair, I've also had friends give me good reports of their tanks and experience. So it's not all bad. Point is that there are enough bad experiences to warrant verring away from them (for me).

Darren, you're right that I have not owned a gc tank. My business partner has. It leaked at the seams and fell apart.

I've also had a few good friends who've ordered from them with horror stories. So, even though they're not my experiences, they're pretty dran close!

To be fair, I've also had friends give me good reports of their gc tanks and experience. So it's not all bad. Point is that there are enough bad experiences to warrant verring away from them (for me).

<span style="color: black">So just a little update... Aquarium Obsessed made me a deal I simply couldn’t turn down, so in about 4 months I will have a new custom 243 gallon tank for my living room. I took everyone’s comments into consideration and I was about to order the Marineland tank, but in the end there was only a few hundred dollars difference. To me the difference was well justified because of the options I wanted...</span>
<span style="color: black"> I am doing to be starting a design thread and a build thread... The build thread will come a little later (when I actually start building). </span>
<span style="color: black">Thanks for everyone’s help,</span>

Shane

Good Choice! You wont be dissapointed. You still getting the external overflow and all?

Back