Desperate Here - Losing Control of My Tank

Have you run carbon or Purigen in the past?

I'm pondering the possibility of a buildup of toxins generated by the Zoas... of course it's impossible to know for sure... just "thinking out loud".

Jenn

I've always kept Purigen in there just to polish, the carbon I've only been running the past few weeks. Along your same lines of thinking, I've replaced my Purigen recently in case it was exhausted or loaded with crud.

Hmm... ok, that rules that out if the problem persists or is not improving despite the addition of carbon.

Prior to this, how often were you changing water, and how much at a time?

It's kind of like detective work...

How far are you from Canton? I could possibly come and take a look but I'm waiting on somebody to come by today (I'm closed but have arranged to meet someone here at some point)...

No charge, of course... I'm just darned curious.

Jenn

JennM;371081 wrote: Hmm... ok, that rules that out if the problem persists or is not improving despite the addition of carbon.

Prior to this, how often were you changing water, and how much at a time?

It's kind of like detective work...

How far are you from Canton? I could possibly come and take a look but I'm waiting on somebody to come by today (I'm closed but have arranged to meet someone here at some point)...

No charge, of course... I'm just darned curious.

Jenn
Not to high jack but i need to come by your store it appears you are very patient and giving to the hobby...anyone willing to go to someone's house do to a problem for free that is in that bussiness has my vote

jeep9783;371091 wrote: Not to high jack but i need to come by your store it appears you are very patient and giving to the hobby...anyone willing to go to someone's house do to a problem for free that is in that bussiness has my vote

Yep, that's our Jenn!

Saw a quasi-similar thread like this on RC a while ago. Whole tank covered in a cloudy slime - reefer was literally manually scooping it out by the handfull. I believe the final diagnosis was a bacterial bloom, but cannot seem to find the thread at the moment. I will keep looking and post a link if I find it. Yes, please post pic's if you get a chance.

jeep9783;371091 wrote: Not to high jack but i need to come by your store it appears you are very patient and giving to the hobby...anyone willing to go to someone's house do to a problem for free that is in that bussiness has my vote

Don't believe I've head the pleasure of meeting Jenn (yet), but definately a sponsor that gives 1000%. There are a few of them, and they are much appreciated by the ARC family.

Well... I can't go *everywhere* for free... and don't always have time, but I'm a "pay it forward" type... so on the rare occasion that I can help somebody out, I try to.

I'd rather be out kayaking on a day like today but since Brian had to work... LOL.

I'm at the shop now - meeting up with 3 people so far... and I have to run out and do a 15 minute errand at some point before 2:00... but I'm free after that til about suppertime.

Catch me while you can - that doesn't happen too often!

Jenn

JennM;371107 wrote: Well... I can't go *everywhere* for free... and don't always have time, but I'm a "pay it forward" type... so on the rare occasion that I can help somebody out, I try to.

I'd rather be out kayaking on a day like today but since Brian had to work... LOL.

I'm at the shop now - meeting up with 3 people so far... and I have to run out and do a 15 minute errand at some point before 2:00... but I'm free after that til about suppertime.

Catch me while you can - that doesn't happen too often!

Jenn
Ok drive to Hampton today and fix my problem of both of my birdsnest no coloring up...for free of course...lol...thanks for all that you do

Chris

jeep9783;371108 wrote: Ok drive to Hampton today and fix my problem of both of my birdsnest no coloring up...for free of course...lol...thanks for all that you do

Chris

Gee, that's 2 miles outside my regular service area... sorry...

(Just kidding... my service area is a lot smaller than that!)

Jenn

Thanks the offer Jenn but if you come by you will be on a hired basis. I haven't even got to come by your store as close as you are and I feel horrible as is. Then you have to be awesome and offer to swing by:D Now I just feel like a total jerk...LOL. I'm just across the Forsyth line from Cherokee on 20. I'm pretty anal about water changes too and this tank has always gotten 20% PWC's on a weekly basis. Once this showed up, I increased the amount to 35% or so and the frequency to every 4-5 days. I didn't want to go overboard and stress my SPS's.

As far as the outbreak, it's not slimy at all and I would chalk it up as a form of HA if not for the 0 PO and super low Nitrates. It's not green either, looks like dead HA but continues to form. Hermits, turbos, even the recent Starry blenny don't touch it either. I've been letting it be recently to see if it would exhaust whatever it was it feeds on but that didn't work out so well...:D My thought was to rip it out manually once it sucked out the bad stuff but it doesn't release easily. Even a toothbrush scrub doesn't remove it well.

Yep, no impact. I don't think this stuff is photosythetic. I had some new areas of growth occur during lights off.

I wear a hobbyist hat too :) Offer stands, just let me know if you would like to take me up on it.

Even pix might be helpful...

Jenn

Is it possible that the PO4 is just being consumed by whatever is present and reaches stasis so it's undetectable? Sorry if that's dumb, just trying to tag along and learn. :)

What, if anything, are you dosing? Product specifics, how much, how often?

Only dosing is Brightwell 2-Part daily 8mg (or cc's....whatever droppers are graduated at) and Aquavitro MG twice weekly when I see an MG reading 1300 or below until MG gets back to 1350 or so. Been my regiment now since Jan/Feb timeframe.

Hooked Newbie;371162 wrote: Is it possible that the PO4 is just being consumed by whatever is present and reaches stasis so it's undetectable? Sorry if that's dumb, just trying to tag along and learn. :)

Actually that was my exact thought and why I allowed everything to grow untouched for a while. Once it reached maturity and exhausted whatever was spurring it's growth, I was going to pluck it out....cha ching....problem solved. Backfired on me though:D This crud doesn't seem to function like a true algea or macro.

Oh, I took some pics lights off with flash but they are useless. I'll take some this afternoon lights on.

Can't wait to see the pics.

What's described as a turf algae, and not green. Can't be manually removed, and growing like crazy......

Got my curiosity up.

Here's the pics....I just don't have a camera capable of capturing wha this stuff really looks like. Out of 50 or so pics these are the only remotely good ones. Imagine short bleached hair algae. A couple of my zoa colonies can be seen too. The spots are sediment and other floating debris, not actually attached to the zoas.

http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/photoplog/images/2779/1_P1050713.JPG" alt="" />

[IMG]http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/photoplog/images/2779/1_P1050722.JPG" alt="" />[IMG]http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/photoplog/images/2779/1_P1050713.JPG"></a>

Back