detritus removal from sump?

jbdreefs

Market
Reaction score
How often do you clean detritus from your sump?

What is your Method?

Siphoning doesn't appear to be very effective because my sump practically sits on the floor. I have considered a shop vac, but that seems extreme. The last time I went to clean the sump detritus, I simply used a rod to stir the water in hopes that my skimmer would remove most: this method worked to some extent but doesn't seem like a very effective method either.

So how do you do it?

I'd like to know the same thing. The only way I've found is to disconnect everything and actually remove and dump the sump.

Shop vac works like a charm. Plus your doing a water change at the same time.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

nassar0505;955088 wrote: Shop vac works like a charm. Plus your doing a water change at the same time.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
+1 all the way, shop vac and all depends on how much build up you accumulate, I clean mine out every 6 months or so.

My procedure for my 465 and 100 gallon system sump:

1. Do this in combination with a water change since you are removing a good bit of water. Have 10-20 gallons of new salt water ready to go. The bigger your sump, the more you will need. Gauge this by your system's sump size.

2. Turn all your sump equipment off. Have some in-tank flow going. Allow the display to drain down into the sump.

3. Any equipment easily removable, do it. Like heaters, pumps, filter socks, reactors whatever. Cleaning them now is a good opportunity. I don't clean my protein skimmer every time i clean the sump, but I usually combine cleaning out the skimmer with this as well every 4-5 months or so.

4. Use an acrylic safe scrub pad or glass safe pad, depending on the material your sump is made of. Scrub the entire inner surface area of your sump: sides, bottom, etc. Make sure you rinse with sump water the upper sides of the sump as well to get all crud sown into the water.

5. Go have a beer, soda, coffee, whatever for about 1/2 hour and let the crud in the sump settle to the bottom.

6. Either using a wet/dry shop-vac or a Python type siphon, pull the detritus of the bottom of the still sump. Be very careful to go slowly, as the detritus is easily disturbed. I prefer and use a Python because it doesn't pull water as quickly from the sump. A shop vac is very fast, and you also have to stop and empty the shop-vac when it gets full. You can start and complete the task completely without stopping with a Python. I use the same Python I bought myself 20 years ago. But either way works.

7. Refill the sump with new water and replace the equipment you removed, etc, and you are done.

I make all my sumps at the store be cleaning out with shop vac once a month. But mainly because I like things looking super clean and not because it was time too. But either way shop vac is a way to go imo.

reeferman;955092 wrote: get a buckethead shopvac at lowes or hd for 20 bucks.it attaches to a 5g bucket and makes sump cleaning super easy.

:yes:

At the shop we had a dedicated shop vac (regular, full-size) but the saltwater kills them in time. For the home hobbyist, this is a great solution and if it conks out after a while, it's cheap to replace.

1312741614.jpg
alt="" />

excellent pic Jenn.with that fitting your pic is showing at the end of the tube,you can clean the crud out without sucking too much water too quickly.i have something similar on mine

I use the buckethead from lowes after starting with the one from HD (I prefer HD on 99% of their stuff over Lowes), as the Lowes is more powerful.

Every water change (weekly or bi-weekly) I take 10-15 minutes and wetvac....

I'll do the overlow once every month or 2 with extension.

I just scraped a random pic from the web. I didn't notice that fitting til you mentioned it. Good eye! And a lucky choice on my part for the photo.

reeferman;955131 wrote: excellent pic Jenn.with that fitting your pic is showing at the end of the tube,you can clean the crud out without sucking too much water too quickly.i have something similar on mine

Man, that little RO line on the end of the vac is small. I use a 3/8" ID piece of pex tube inside the python tubing for mine. That RO line would take forever to vacuum my 155 gallon sump.

reeferman;955092 wrote: get a buckethead shopvac at lowes or hd for 20 bucks.it attaches to a 5g bucket and makes sump cleaning super easy.

Probably the best 20 bucks I have ever spent on tank cleaning Used one ever since you told me about it. The tubing attachment in Jenn's pic looks promising. Thus far I just move the nozzle really quickly and it works great.

leveldrummer;955182 wrote: I use a powerhead (maxijet), a hose from my siphon, and a filter sock. The hose goes over the output on the powerhead. The other end goes in the filter sock that hangs in my sump. Use the bottom of the power head as a vacuum, it dumps right into the sock, and the clean water runs out.
Great way as well.

Back