Diatom Bloom

rk4435

Market
Reaction score
I've double checked my RO/DI water, 0 tds. Is there a specific test like Nitrates to check?

The area affected has poor flow, but there is not really much I can do about it. I'm thinking my Conch must have been doing a great job, but is now missing and presumed dead.

Normally diatoms are a passing thing (especially if your tank is under 6 months old). In my very limited experience a new tank will get a few diatom blooms in the first year

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

But yea.... They need nutrients .... Po4 and no3. Maybe check the levels. Don't go making a lot of changes bc of diatoms

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Thanks for the replies guys. My last water change was last weekend, I do 15-20% every other weekend.

Phosphate was .03, Nitrate was between 5 and 10, too high either way, but I don't think that fuels Diatoms. I'll have to get it verified at a lfs today.

If you moved around your Rock work uncovering new surface of rock or sand in a new tank can cause it or adding new rock...
Let it pass, it's common in new tanks.

My conch goes AWOL at times and then back at work so he is probably just buried in the sand somewhere.

I agree with above posters that it should pass. Diatoms don't need a lot of phosphate or nitrates to grow... but they do need silicate. Eventually as your system grows your sponges inside the rock and in your plumbing will grow and they will utilize the silicates for their growth which should hopefully help solve your diatom issue.

Back