Dinos and tank changes

snowmansnow

Market
Reaction score
I'm still fighting the dinos in my shallow 80.
The stuff is primarily in the sand bed, and it so happens i'm considering going BB for this tank anyway... not really because of the dins, but just because.

Do you think removing the sand bed would also help with the elimination of this pest algae / bacteria crap called dino?

It doesn't grow anymore on my rocks or my glass.... so there MUST be something feeding it in the sand bed... right?

This was the cause of a lot of my dinos too - was just growing on the sand, I started to syphon plenty of sand to clean it and slowly reduce the sand level - what happened was it just stopped growing after such heavy cleaning, only took 3-4 attempts. I'll still keep removing the sand until .5"

SnowManSnow;1083175 wrote: I'm still fighting the dinos in my shallow 80.
The stuff is primarily in the sand bed, and it so happens i'm considering going BB for this tank anyway... not really because of the dins, but just because.

Do you think removing the sand bed would also help with the elimination of this pest algae / bacteria crap called dino?

It doesn't grow anymore on my rocks or my glass.... so there MUST be something feeding it in the sand bed... right?

From what I read MANY people were very successful at eradicating their Dino issue simply by removing the sand bed. I just wasn't willing to go that route with sand that was less than 6 months old.

I went that route and I still have them...might have to try it again.

Butch;1083255 wrote: I went that route and I still have them...might have to try it again.

Yes seems vaccuming sand bed, provide, and lights out is the only thing that starves them. Slow process

The only other suggestion I have, besides the sand ... my water was too sterile - I removed 70% of my external media and started feeding more ... within a week it turned around.

typemismatch;1083263 wrote: The only other suggestion I have, besides the sand ... my water was too sterile - I removed 70% of my external media and started feeding more ... within a week it turned around.

I've also read about this as well. It seems the dinos have a "happy place". If you lower the nitrates, or raise them significantly, the dinos die off.

The interesting thing I found out is that it all really depends on which strain of dinos you have as to what is the most efficient. One thing that seem to work universally though, is peroxide.

I'd like to try peroxide on my dinos but I heard it kills brittle stars. I have a couple growing in mine.

Tagging along. I have just noticed some dinos starting today. I think it is related to my vodka dosing. I am at 0.0 PO4 and almost 0 NO3. I have heard the dinos are related to silicate levels but not sure if that true. I am running Phosguard and chemipure elite to see if they help.

Well the sand bed is GONE, except for a hand full scattered around which I'll be pulling out at the water change.
The tank does look different without the substrate, but not bad.. just different. Besides, I plan on wall to wall coral soooooo it won't matter for long haha.

HUGE polyp extension on my sps corals this morning.
I haven't tested parameters yet, but plan on it later today. Also, crossing fingers, no dinos in sight.
Keep in mind this is following a week of peroxide dosing.

Curtismaximus;1083315 wrote: How did you get all the sand out?

Syphoned it out w water then scooped it the rest of the way.
95% syphon

SnowManSnow;1083348 wrote: Syphoned it out w water then scooped it the rest of the way.
95% syphon

Did you do one large water change? I am debating on going BB on tank but I might just try and rearrange my rock work instead.

Curtismaximus;1083362 wrote: Did you do one large water change? I am debating on going BB on tank but I might just try and rearrange my rock work instead.

It took about 15 g of water. .... So not huge

jrhunter0000;1083374 wrote: Big hose siphon it out slow

Big hose = FAST water;) unless you have a valve of some kind on it.

I also siphoned it into a bucket so I could salvage anything that accidentally got sucked up.

After most was out I hung a filter sock in the sump and siphoned into that. That way I didn't have to keep throwing out water

SnowManSnow;1083392 wrote: Big hose = FAST water;) unless you have a valve of some kind on it.

I also siphoned it into a bucket so I could salvage anything that accidentally got sucked up.

After most was out I hung a filter sock in the sump and siphoned into that. That way I didn't have to keep throwing out water

Sorry forgot to add that yes siphon to a filtersock.

Back