Dipping Chaeto?

AquariumSchmo

Market
Reaction score
My main display has flatworms and bristle worms and I don't want to carry those over to my new frag tank. Rather than buy supposedly "clean" chaeto from somewhere, I was thinking I could just dip some of mine; I have tons as it grows like crazy in my refugium. I have Reef Dip, Bayer, and Flatworm Exit. I have also heard of people doing freshwater dips and putting it in a refrigerator for a day. They might make their way in eventually, but I'm trying my best to keep this new tank pest free. Does anyone have a recommendation on the best method(s)?

Honestly, I think you just treat your display with FWE. Do one and then another 7 days later to get the newly hatched eggs. You need to clear that system out anyways eventually. :)

Why the worry over bristleworms?

I had flatworms in my 60g and was able to completely get rid of them while transferring everything over to the 120g. I mixed up a 5 gallon bucket of fresh SW with FWE - every rock soaked in that for 15 minutes, then through 2 rinses of fresh SW then into the new tank.

That - along with a yellow choris wrasse and I can't find a single flatwork anywhere.

Still plenty of bristleworms but those don't' bother me - other than the fact that I have to be careful when handling rock work or stuff that has been in the tank for more than a day.

Honestly, I think you just treat your display with FWE. Do one and then another 7 days later to get the newly hatched eggs. You need to clear that system out anyways eventually. :)

I have some FWE and have used it many times over the last couple of years, but even with back to back weekly treatments, they still end up coming back. When my new tank is ready, I'm moving my fish to it and getting a six-line wrasse to hopefully dwindle their numbers naturally. Even with siphoning beforehand, adding carbon after, and a big water change, you can see the toll that it puts on the system. They are mostly on the glass though and I often siphon them down into the filter sock before changing it.

other than the fact that I have to be careful when handling rock work or stuff that has been in the tank for more than a day.

That's what I worry about. I don't mind some, but I have little too many for comfort. Have you ever seen your wrasse eat bristleworms?

I'm hoping to upgrade to a 120gal in about a year; going to start it fresh though, other than corals which I will dip/treat first.

Back