Discus Advice

jstone

Market
Reaction score
Im thinking about re-homing my oscar and trying out a few discus -
I have the oscar in a 55gal which of course is the minimum and now that I've grown and taken care of one in a 55 I really don't even think it should be considered a minimum - The bioload is wayyyy to much just with one fish doing 2x weekly water changes - not to mention he really doesnt have that much room even as he is the only fish in the tank...
That being said will I run into the same issues with the discus -
I have read that I could put 3-5 in a tank that size -
Does anyone have any recommendations or advice on their care and if the tank size would be decent for them - Thx

Jstone;780123 wrote: Im thinking about re-homing my oscar and trying out a few discus -
I have the oscar in a 55gal which of course is the minimum and now that I've grown and taken care of one in a 55 I really don't even think it should be considered a minimum - The bioload is wayyyy to much just with one fish doing 2x weekly water changes - not to mention he really doesnt have that much room even as he is the only fish in the tank...
That being said will I run into the same issues with the discus -
I have read that I could put 3-5 in a tank that size -
Does anyone have any recommendations or advice on their care and if the tank size would be decent for them - Thx

A 55 gallon would be fine for 3-5 discus. The recommeded volume is roughly 10 gallons for each adult size fish. You need to decide if you are going to get small discus and grow them out, or buy larger fish. Small fish require several daily feedings vs fewer for larger fish. If you are growing Discus out, you may want to consider a bare bottom tank vs one with gravel, etc. That allows you to keep the tank very clean. I have 26 Discus in a 265 gallon tank. You will want to do 50% water changes a couple times a week.

Acroholic;780266 wrote: A 55 gallon would be fine for 3-5 discus. The recommeded volume is roughly 10 gallons for each adult size fish. You need to decide if you are going to get small discus and grow them out, or buy larger fish. Small fish require several daily feedings vs fewer for larger fish. If you are growing Discus out, you may want to consider a bare bottom tank vs one with gravel, etc. That allows you to keep the tank very clean. I have 26 Discus in a 265 gallon tank. You will want to do 50% water changes a couple times a week.

do you know anyone in ATL that sells discus?

We have 2" to 6" ficus in stock. Price starts at $20 to $170. Here is the store address
4757 stone mountain hyw
Lilburn, GA 30047

Nemos is great. I have yet to visit the Stone Mountain location to see his discus.

I have recently purchased my discus from Chad. Chad is a local fish breeder that is passionate about discus. Here is a picture of one of his discus at a show in Florida. If the pictures don't show up then click on the title to each box. http://s633.photobucket.com/user/88Sabres/media/Florida%20Fish%20Show%20June%202013/DSCF4270_zpsa88e2b45.jpg.html">DSCF4270_zpsa88e2b45.jpg Photo by 88Sabres | Photobucket</a>

Here is a picture of month old discus. His discus tend to not have very much, if any, peppering(black spots) like most discus do in the local pet stores. [IMG]http://s633.photobucket.com/user/88Sabres/media/Ring%20Leopard%20PB/RLPB%20F1%20Cross%20Fire%20Red%20June%2015%20Free%20Swim/RLPB%20F1%20Cross%20Fire%20Red/DSCF4476_zps694b769d.jpg.html">DSCF4476_zps694b769d.jpg Photo by 88Sabres | Photobucket</a>

You can find more pictures of his livestock on SimplyDiscus.com under the user name Sabres1. By the way Chad lives in Acworth and can ship discus if needed. I suggest a trip to his house because it is always neat to see the different discus breeding projects that he is working on.

This is my show size discus
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
884500=46997-image.jpg
>
884500=46997-image.jpg
class="gc-images" title="image.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Nemo, that trio is lovely. And Discus are great, just be sure to keep up on the water changes. And keep in mind that they are pigs. Not too much beefheart ^.-

Back