DiversDen

nassar0505

Market
Reaction score
I recently purchased a piece off Diversden and was excited about the color displayed on the site. Upon arrival I was a little disappointed in the piece that showed up?

I guess my question is do they really tweak there photos this much or did it just lose a ton of color in transit. I have always been under the impression that DiverDen is a highly reliable source for wysiwyg. Don't get me wrong its still nice piece and healthy as hell, but this is night and day in my opinion.

Well the coral might be stressed from transit and handling and such. What'd you get?

first pic is what they showed <u>Acorpora Sarmentosa...</u>

This is how it showed up. Not awful but not nearly as vivid?? I dunnno maybe just give it some time, but I just don't see it going that green and pink.

Sorry the picture on the original post just appeared lol. I believe LA photographs the wysiwyg coral items under 20k metal halides.ive never heard of them "adding" color to the picture but who really knows. How long has it been in your tank? I had a jedi mind trick frag that when I first got.looked pale and no polyp extension. After a week or so he perked up nice. I've noticed this with a lot of sps so I hope that's your case.

Its only been in the tank since Friday. So hopefully it is just stress and will color up over the next few weeks. This is just my first order off DD and was curious if they are the type that just color pop the heck out of there photos in anyone's experience.

The difference in color is most likely the difference in lighting.
What lights do you run?

Camellia;994848 wrote: The difference in color is most likely the difference in lighting.
What lights do you run?
+1 that's what I was thinking. Like I mentioned earier DD photographs under 20k mh

"One thing you can do to tell if a picture has been doctored by over saturation is where you completely have a loss of detail in areas of color." -Than from Tidal Gardens
a>

I've learned that half the photos out there are doctored to some extent... Once you learn what vendors do that you tend to shy away from them. That's why I like battle corals so much. Colors look even better in person. Never been tricked by Adam. I won't name all the guys publicly that I've been duped by.

Lighting is 250w Phoenix 14k's and MM leds. I agree lighting plays a big role in color, but dang even set to super blue with the leds I don't come close to there color.

Plus the more I look at there photo it does look super color saturated. Again still a nice piece and is very healthy as far as polyp extension etc. Just curious if DD doctors up a bit and if otheres have dealt with similar situations. Trust me I've purchased from other vendors and have been completely disappointed

I don't have personal experience with coral from DD but my understanding is that they didn't "color up" their corals. Have you contacted them?

RedStang;994924 wrote: I don't have personal experience with coral from DD but my understanding is that they didn't "color up" their corals. Have you contacted them?
That kinda was my impression as well. No haven't contacted them. To be honest probably not really worth it I suppose.

nassar0505;994930 wrote: That kinda was my impression as well. No haven't contacted them. To be honest probably not really worth it I suppose.

IMO, if you aren't happy it's always worth it to touch base with them. They have a reputation for being a good company. Maybe nothing comes out of it but maybe something will too. I think you have a legitimate question. One of the main reasons I've always hesitated to buy corals online is the fear that the pics are doctored. I don't think it's unreasonable to get a stated bulb type from them that was used in the picture. If nothing else it would let you try that bulb or something similar down the road.

RedStang;994946 wrote: IMO, if you aren't happy it's always worth it to touch base with them. They have a reputation for being a good company. Maybe nothing comes out of it but maybe something will too. I think you have a legitimate question. One of the main reasons I've always hesitated to buy corals online is the fear that the pics are doctored. I don't think it's unreasonable to get a stated bulb type from them that was used in the picture. If nothing else it would let you try that bulb or something similar down the road.

Good point..... I guess it doesn't hurt to get some feedback from them.

Thanks everyone for the input!

All Diver's Den® items must be shipped within 2 shipping days of placing your order.

Photo Lighting Note:*To provide ideal color & lighting for these species, these are photographed from above, illuminated under 20K 400 Watt Metal Halide lighting. The coloration of the animal will vary under different intensities and Kelvin ratings of light bulbs. The species shown may look different under 10K Metal Halides, VHO, T5 or Power Compact Lights, and may take time to recover its color after shipping.

they may even use old school VHO actinics for color... I don't care what anyone says... THAT yields the best actinic pop you can buy

its worth shooting them an email...I buy fish every now and then and every time i have had an issue they fix it quickly...once they even reshipped my whole order again for free. its always worth a call

Back