DiversDen

Why does everybody cry photoshop just because thier pictures are different than yours? Different cameras, lighting and millions of other factors come into play long before photoshop...

J65LOVE14;995060 wrote: Why does everybody cry photoshop just because thier pictures are different than yours? Different cameras, lighting and millions of other factors come into play long before photoshop...

I think the OP and everyone who has posted is aware and most have even stated "lighting" ... However the OP does have a substantial coloration difference and had a question about the vendor.
"Crying Photoshop" I believe has been used here as a general "doctoring/saturating" color in picture taken, which is just simply wrong!

And IMHO "millions of other factors" that will inhance color of a corol in pictures is a gross exaggeration!

J65LOVE14;995060 wrote: Why does everybody cry photoshop just because thier pictures are different than yours? Different cameras, lighting and millions of other factors come into play long before photoshop...

I cry photoshop when I have the exact same lights and the coral doesn't look the same. And no I don't compare my pictures to theirs... I compare my *corals* to their pictures and prefer an accurate representation without the saturation. Sorry that gets you worked up, but it's pretty reasonable.

Take a look at the substrate in their pictures, it is usually a shade of pink to purple. Their corals always look better in the pictures than they do when you get them.

They use some type of efflorescence inducing lighting in their pictures if they don't play with anything else. Not typical and not daylight, but they have been doing it for years. Great customer service and generally good fish, etc. But their off color substrate is the giveaway.

Look at the inset picture in the pic you posted....the substrate is pink- purple. Dead giveaway.

attachment.php

It's not even about photoshop so I shouldn't have used that word specifically. If you're using photoshop to get rid of blue and create a more accurate representation of the coral then I'm all for it. I don't care if you use filters, special lights, coral draw 1.0 apple II edition or anything else - if you're misrepresenting the look of the coral to increase sales then I have a problem with that. If I have to wear special 3d glasses to make it look like the picture then I have a problem with that. It's definitely not MY lighting that's the problem.

I bought my Swallowtails from LA/DD and it was an awesome experience, but I'm not going to just give them a free pass because they're good guys and happen to be from Wisconsin like me. :D

I had the same thing happen with Joe Knows Reefs and Jason Fox... the pictures look awesome. Corals were underwhelming. BattleCorals is the exact opposite. It takes some time to realize who is doing this and who isn't, because no one is really allowed to talk about it on the forums and spread information to help other reefers. Try to say something about JF's pictures on R2R and see how that goes....

Yeah I wasn't crying about anything. More Inquring about otheres expirence with them and input on the why's and hows. Yes I agree lighting has huge factors but I've seen 400w 20k and they will not take day and turn it to night vs 14k with supplemental lighting as well.

If the case is vho sups or florencents, uv etc.....then sweet sign me up if that's the color they get.

Keep in mind that the pic may have been taken some time ago and while it is a what WYSIWYG site the lapsed may have impact on the color even in their system.

grouper therapy;995147 wrote: Keep in mind that the pic may have been taken some time ago and while it is a what WYSIWYG site the lapsed may have impact on the color even in their system.

What about the pink sand?

Remember the camera matters too, and the color representation is pretty much a software thing whether it is done through photoshop or software internal to the camera. It's really no different than Fuji versus Kodak film in the old days. They may not be purposely distorting anything, but there are so many layers a digital picture goes through before you see it on your monitor, the picture and the item you see with your eye are very unlikely to look the same no matter what. Even your eyes are suspect. My wife and I argue over whether things are blue or purple all the time.

MorganAtlanta;995210 wrote: Remember the camera matters too, and the color representation is pretty much a software thing whether it is done through photoshop or software internal to the camera. It's really no different than Fuji versus Kodak film in the old days. They may not be purposely distorting anything, but there are so many layers a digital picture goes through before you see it on your monitor, the picture and the item you see with your eye are very unlikely to look the same no matter what. Even your eyes are suspect. My wife and I argue over whether things are blue or purple all the time.

They're blue.

This is all conjecture on my part, but that does not look like just a single Radium 400 halide. It is too purplish/bluish. Something like that might be accomplished on a Radium 400 bulb run on an adjustable eballast at the 250 watt setting, which would make the bulb a lot bluer than normal. My Radium 400s are much whiter in my tank, run by Hamilton magnetic ballasts at the wattage specified by Radium (M135 ballast).

Acroholic;995252 wrote: This is all conjecture on my part, but that does not look like just a single Radium 400 halide. It is too purplish/bluish. Something like that might be accomplished on a Radium 400 bulb run on an adjustable eballast at the 250 watt setting, which would make the bulb a lot bluer than normal. My Radium 400s are much whiter in my tank, run by Hamilton magnetic ballasts at the wattage specified by Radium (M135 ballast).
strong possibility as well

I spoke with the guys there about this a couple years ago. I don't remember the specifics (but what's in this thread sounds about right), but they take the pictures under the most ideal conditions, giving them the best shot they can get.

Getting it right in the camera results in less adjustment in Photoshop.

Hope this helps!

Back