DIY filter

You could also run it like this down-floss, up-GFO/Phosguard/whatever, down-carbon, up-matrix/bioballs/whatever

IF you add the fourth chamber back.

I just don't see why you want water moving down through carbon...

OceanDeep85;971658 wrote: Awesome.

2 weeks seems a bit excessive, but I hear what you're saying.

PetCo wants $50 for the MaxiJet 1200

but the 600 and 900 are on clearance. I got them to set a MaxiJet 900 aside for me for $32.70 so I'll get the sealant when I pick up the powerhead.

Now all I'm worried about is trying to plumb in the powerhead to the setup. Any thoughts on placement? Some say to PUSH the water, others have said to pull it... seems to me most filters are pulling through media... what do you guys think?

Push. Water moves in the pump, through the reactors, and the valve is on the return pipe/hose to the tank. That's how I would do it...

I'm pretty sure carbon suppose to tumble. And ge silicone 1 is fine as long as you let it cure 100%.

So when are you gonna become a member?

I probably would too. I've been warned against adding a reactor solely dedicated to phosphate remover. Apparently it's not good to strip the system of too much phosphate either.

Thoughts?

I'm getting the MaxiJet 900 which, in circulation pump mode, will push about 1000 gph. This is more than enough for 3 or 4 chambers of media, up and down and will still provide enough flow for my LPS and Softie reef upon the return. If not, I'm going to figure out a way to plumb in my existing 160 gph powerhead so I can get it out of the display tank where it's taking up real estate..

Your powerhead can't be run external. It's an internal only pump.

it can be run externally if you plumb it into the system, so, for instance, if it's drawing water through it via the intake and pushing it out and into the filter system it'll be fine. That's why you have to prime the pump. It'll just have to be a water tight seal on the intake and outflow.

Hmmm.... Okay so maybe they ARE designed to be internal/external.. Never knew that. Still wouldn't do it.

JDavid;971673 wrote: Hmmm.... Okay so maybe they ARE designed to be internal/external.. Never knew that. Still wouldn't do it.

haha.. It'd certainly be easier to leave it in-tank and just run plumbing to the out-nozzle to run the flow through the filter, but that doesn't solve the issue of freeing up real estate in the tank. Further, I can't build the skimming attachment if I have only the OUT vent attached to filter plumbing.

Allen;971677 wrote: I let my tanks (rimless/trimless) sit for 2 weeks to avoid disruption in the curing process to ensure maximum adhesion and proper form. Some companies let their larger tanks sit for up to 4 months. I use minimal silicone, so adhesion is important. Your application should be cured in 3 days as long as you don't go overboard with the bead thickness.

well, I have yet to see how thick it really needs to be until I can get home and start plumbing everything in. So far I've just been cutting and drilling everything in preparation for assembly.

If you run a maxijet out of water theirs a 50/50 chance it will leak. Just thought I would let you know.

yeah, man. That's what priming is all about. Think about it. As long as there's water going in and water coming out, it's virtually the same as whether or not it's submerged or not. You'll find tons of people that connect them to the clear plastic or clear rubber hoses and use them for things.

meh, it's worth a try all the same.. if it works, brilliant, if not, I'll have to save up for a nice big canister filter or something.

OceanDeep85;971700 wrote: is this from experience, JC? :eek:

Not really I've just heard people talk about how it can be risky doing this. I tried doing external and it leaked so I jut put some silicone where the leak was.

I just read that they leak from the housing, not the inlet/outlet.

Anyway, I was referring to your other little powerhead in the first place. Don't assume that any pump can be ran externally. Many can't.

True.

I'll just have to see what happens and if it ends up having issues, I'll just have to adapt the system to allow the pump and intake to sit inside the display or any future sump.

At the end of the day.. I don't think it's going to look particularly pretty (although I plan to paint it up nice) but I think it's going to work pretty **** well. I'm going to leave my HOB filter just for more water movement and flow and for the sake of having a little well to put things in, but I'm hoping this will at least allow me to take out my internal powerhead and free up some space and run a lot of the water column through a lot of media that I don't have to mess with too often.

Back