DIY LED Build

another feature with the arduino is you can put a temp sensor on the heat sink and only run fans when needed.

As you can see I like the arduino it is fun playing with and has great potential

Arduino is probably going to be the route I take. It's way above my skill level, but hey, so was this hobby when I started :)

Edit:
MorganAtlanta;635584 wrote: You might find that larger fans (like 120mm) run at reduced voltage will move more air and are quieter.

I didn't know that, thanks for the tip :)

Crew;635566 wrote: I'll be starting my own LED build here soon so if you want to PM me or text me we can bounce ideas back and forth with how to get that sunrise sunset effect without paying $500 for a controller.. or have you figured that out?

If you want to build a dimming system cheap, I am pretty sure you could rig something up with a a timer, and a servo to turn the potentiometer knob. I used to race rc cars and I am pretty sure I could rig something up using a steering servo from one.

Crew;635566 wrote: I'll be starting my own LED build here soon so if you want to PM me or text me we can bounce ideas back and forth with how to get that sunrise sunset effect without paying $500 for a controller.. or have you figured that out?

I was planning on just using an apex for the sunrise/sunset effect.

I already have an RKL but I still opted to build a dedicated LED controller vs adding their little module because DIY offered so much more as far as customization. I did the Arduino based 'Typhon' which was open sourced by a guy over on reef central. It's working like a charm. It was right around $60 in parts including the USB breakout board for flashing it.

I've even hacked the code to add in moon phase calculation to use on a spare channel for eventually driving my LED moonlights. I haven't actually hooked them up to it yet as I still need to measure voltages out of the current moonlight controller to see if I need to set some hard limits on the output. After that I'm going to code in a cloud/storm mode for the main lights to have that extra geek factor for guests. :)

Even if you don't want all the bells and whistles, $60 for a controller that'll do custom fade up and down is a steal compared to commercial offerings.

Thewarbrd: you paid a total of $60 for everything needed or sunrise/sunset? I thought the arduino was $250ish?

Could you PM or post what I need to know to replicate what you've done?

Vanished: the Apex is roughly $400 from what I've seen so I don't think I want to drop that kind of cash

Crew you could also use this. Its a PWM dimmer

a>

Seems like that might be the better option. May not do as much as the others, but I just want dim on dim off. Thanks Mockery.

This is the link for the arduino at reef central. Check it out before you make any decisions.

showthread.php

Crew;635820 wrote: Thewarbrd: you paid a total of $60 for everything needed or sunrise/sunset? I thought the arduino was $250ish?

Arduino is a hardware/software platform, it can be as simple or as complex as you want. There are full blown arduino based controllers people have developed that'll do just about everything something like a reefkeeper or apex will do, then there's purpose built things like the one I copied which only do a specific function. Note, mines different than the one roundman linked to.

I posted the detailed info over in my build thread so as not to hijack here anymore than I already have:

showthread.php

It looks like I am going to end up going with 24 meanwell ELN-48D drivers. I want to be able to dim the lights using an apex, and currently none of the higher powered drivers offer 1-10v dimming (with the exception of the thomas research drivers that are currently not available). The wireing will be a bit more of a mess to clean up, but on the bright side.... if I have a short, I probably wont die 48v as opposed to 200v

How many watts for each driver? Can't you get higher wattage ones and use fewer?

Edit: Like the HLG-120B? It does 0-10v and PWM dimming

MorganAtlanta;636083 wrote: How many watts for each driver? Can't you get higher wattage ones and use fewer?

Edit: Like the HLG-120B? It does 0-10v and PWM dimming

I didnt know that the HLG series came in 0-10v dimmable. Is the IP-67 (type B) of the HLG series 0-10v dimmable? if so I would rather get those. Also would I need the "High Efficiency Wide Input Single Output With PFC Switching Power Supply" or the "High Efficiency Single Output With PFC Switching Power Supply". Whats the difference?

Ok, after reading up some more on the hlg drivers I came up with what I believe will work. You guys can check my conclusions on this before I order them. I am looking at the following

2 HLG-185H 54v(B) each running 3 parallel strings of 16 xp-g cool white @ up to 1150mA
2 HLG-120H 48v(B) each running 3 parallel strings of 12 xp-e royal blue @ up to 833mA
2 HLG-120H 48v(B) each running 3 parallel strings of 12 xp-e blue @ up to 833mA

I like being able to turn up the xp-g leds up to 1A, that way I can turn up the intensity on them for a few hours for highnoon effect instead of having to use leds on a seperate channel.

Does anyone see any flaw in this setup?

If this will work, it will save me around $100 over going with 24 ELN drivers.

Vanished: I was reading another thread on reefcentral and a guy there built an LED light that got him 250 par at the sandbed (18") using only 36 LED's on a 75g... are we using too many LED's? (I know there is no such thing) but why use 180 LED's when you can get away with much less. 36 of the $5 3w ones not the $10 new ones

I am using 240 for a few reasons. I could probably get away with less leds but I would also have to raise them higher above the waterline to get the same coverage, or use wider optics. Either way I would have to increase the current to achieve the same par. More current results in more heat to deal with and shortened led life. I wanted to be able to get high par numbers as well as get good coverage and run the leds at a fairly low current for the majority of the day. The reasoning for going with exactly 240 leds was that I had 180 on order but then i wanted to change the ratios alittle so i order 36 more white, 12 more blue, and 12 more royal blue. This gave me a ratio of 40% cool white, 30% blue, 30% royal blue. I know that i could have uesd far less leds (144 was probably sufficient) but since I am new to saltwater, I wanted to have alot of adjustability. I am still unsure what color temperature I will Want to go with, having so many leds will let me have alot of adjustability without having to drive any of the leds too hard.

Edit: Also I forgot to add. I have not seem the RC build using 36 leds. 250 par at the sand bed is probably not unrealistic if he is using optics or running the leds at a higher than average current. If he is using optics with so few leds I would be worried about dark spots.

Got my drivers ordered today. I will be running

2 HLG-185H 54v(B) each running 3 parallel strings of 16 xp-g cool white @ up to 1150mA
2 HLG-120H 48v(B) each running 3 parallel strings of 12 xp-e royal blue @ up to 833mA
2 HLG-120H 48v(B) each running 3 parallel strings of 12 xp-e blue @ up to 833mA

So,

If I read this correctly you will be running 3x16LEDs at 3W each (48LEDs total) with one: HLG-185H 54v(B)?

LilRobb;639293 wrote: So,

If I read this correctly you will be running 3x16LEDs at 3W each (48LEDs total) with one: HLG-185H 54v(B)?

Yes,
The forward voltage of the xp-g led is 3.3 @ 1000mA
This being said 16x3.3v = 52.8v, meaning that the driver is powerful to run a string of 13 at 3.3v

The HLG-185H driver has a rated output current of 3.45A
So 3.45A/3 strings of leds = 1150mA

That means I can run 3 strings of 16 leds (48 leds total) no problem @ up to 1000mA

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1952442">http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1952442</a>
[IMG]http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1987110&highlight=diy+led+controller">http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1987110&highlight=diy+led+controller</a>

these are the thread's I have been using for reference, very helpful. He doesn't have any dark spots

Back