DIY LED Spectrum Analyzer

giulianom

Market
Reaction score
A few of us have been looking into those 50W (or 100W) LED Array chips that can be found on eBay in a variety of color-temperatures or wavelengths, such as:
<ul>
<li>10,000K</li>
<li>20,000K</li>
<li>455nm Royal Blue</li>
</ul>However, in the example of the 20,000K LEDs, people have said that they "look like" 16,000K rather than 20,000K.

So in order to measure what ranges of color these LEDs give off, you need a spectrum analyzer, or spectrum meter.

The "low cost" commercial meters still cost thousands of dollars.

Instead, a really inexpensive meter can be made using a webcam and some optical filters.

This site makes it easy, and even has a kit for $30:

http://publiclaboratory.org/tool/spectrometer">http://publiclaboratory.org/tool/spectrometer</a>

I'm going to get one of these kits, and put it through its paces.

I have samples of all three of the 50W LEDs listed above, so it should produce some interesting results.

I am nominating you for DIY guru of the year...

Way to go, I have (somewhat) access to a commercial spectrometer - would LOVE to compare results but won't be able to get to use it before April...

LilRobb;728262 wrote: I am nominating you for DIY guru of the year...

Way to go, I have (somewhat) access to a commercial spectrometer - would LOVE to compare results but won't be able to get to use it before April...

Thanks!

Access to a commercial spectrometer would be great, if only for a set reference point comparison.

April is right around the corner. :)

LOL...

Ordered the "kit", which consists of a HD webcam, an old VHS tape clamshell box, and some other miscellaneous stuff.

Meanwhile, I'm checking out the software - it claims to run on Mac, Linux, and is untested on Windows (of course...).

Since it doensn't seem to want to run on my Windows box, I'll build out a Linux box to test...

I have an old Mac Mini box around here somewhere.

GiulianoM;728258 wrote:

The "low cost" commercial meters still cost thousands of dollars.

Instead, a really inexpensive meter can be made using a webcam and some optical filters.

I think you should have gone into aerospace engineering rather than IT.... :)

Dustin

Just wait and see what I can make with some paper clips, rubber bands, and some plutonium isotope. :)

Well, here's a quick shot of the PLOTS Spectral Workbench software, which is what takes the input from the USB camera and plots it out.

It's not a true plot, because I was using my "good" USB video camera which I didn't want to take apart.

The results look like this because the camera's polarizing lens is still in place.

At the moment, this is running on Ubuntu Linux.

GPVNA.png
>
GPVNAl.png
alt="" /></a>

Here's a sample of a little white LED on the back of my phone.

This is still only the visible range of light, as the filters on the webcam block out the UV.

Also, the scale of the wavelength isn't accurate yet.

In order to calibrate it, you can mark two points for a specific wavelength of Mercury based on a reference image of a known compact fluorescent lamp, and then that sets the scale.

Supposedly you can get accuracy within 5-10nm.

0hLCu.png
>
0hLCul.png
alt="" /></a>

How about intensity (irradiance is the correct term). Can you calibrate for that? If so, how?

I may have to build one of these.

I guess that means a Linux box too! :D

I am not sure how you calibrate the intensity, though you can pick the vertical range that it analyzes.

Also it outputs the data in CSV format, as well as a picture. The above were screenshots.

dme330i;728857 wrote: cool - tagging along

interested in the spectrum on the 50w "actinics"

If you mean one of these hybrid 20,000K + 455nm Royal Blue "actinic":

http://www.ebay.com/itm/50W-Super-Actinic-Blue-Hybird-Led-Panel-Aquarium-/270823157132?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f0e516d8c">http://www.ebay.com/itm/50W-Super-Actinic-Blue-Hybird-Led-Panel-Aquarium-/270823157132?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f0e516d8c</a>

Then no, I don't have one of those (yet).

However, I do have 50W 20,000K, 10,000K, and 455nm Royal Blue chips.. and I plan to test them all.

Back