DIY Light Hanging Kit

I like it. This project is on hold for a couple weeks for me now though. Work is getting busy because I'm going to be moving on to a different project in a couple weeks.

That's what I did for the 93, worked like a charm.

You don't have to own a conduit bender to bend it. I just used the bender that Home Depot had for sale... That's what the employee told me to do. Those things are like $50 for 2 bends, no way!

It'd be nice if I can use it there. If not, I can always return it when I'm done.:roll:

brian313313;804091 wrote: It'd be nice if I can use it there. If not, I can always return it when I'm done.:roll:

You can use it there. I frequent Home Depot a lot, and use a lot of the tools they have for sale to modify hardware that I am buying. Most of the time, there isn't an employee there to help, and if there is one, part time employees would probably rather NOT have to offer assistance. If I need any help from them, I usually have to chase someone down and pull teeth to get help.

Or, you can bring it out here and I will bend it anyway you like. Just let me know what size conduit and if you went with EMT or Rigid conduit. I believe I still have both 1/2" and 3/4" bender. A 3/4" bender will work for 1/2" Rigid pipe (which would be more than enough to suport anything you want).

I'm hanging a 24" 4 bulb T5 fixture over my 20 long and thought I'd make one of these conduit brackets. Question is what size conduit should I get? 1/2" or 3/4". Would 1/2" EMT work is it not rigid enough?

1/2" would work if it wasn't sticking too far out from the wall but 3/4 would for sure. Or, you could go with 1/2" Rigid which would give more support in smaller size. If you use 1/2" rigid you can use a 3/4" EMT bender to bend it.

I didn't even think about bending. I bought 1/2" EMT today. My light is 10 lbs so I'll let you know how it goes when it's done.

I did the single pole where it crosses the tank lengthwise. It was posted in a link earlier. It takes quite a bit of leverage and I wish I could find my camera. I'll need to do it again. It hangs down at least 3". I think the 1/2" EMT would work for a double though since there is not nearly as much leverage needed. I'll look for rigid tomorrow or this afternoon. I didn't know there were two types.

tswifty2.jpg
>http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2009-04/diy/images/tswifty2.jpg</a>

brian313313;805163 wrote: I did the single pole where it crosses the tank lengthwise. It was posted in a link earlier. It takes quite a bit of leverage and I wish I could find my camera. I'll need to do it again. It hangs down at least 3". I think the 1/2" EMT would work for a double though since there is not nearly as much leverage needed. I'll look for rigid tomorrow or this afternoon. I didn't know there were two types.

tswifty2.jpg
>http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2009-04/diy/images/tswifty2.jpg</a>

EMT is comonly referred to as "Thinwall" and/or "Tubing". EMT stands for Electrical Matalic Tubing. Rigid is more like black iron pipe but not as stiff or brittle. The wall thickness is about the same as black iron and it is threaded like black iron. Rigid is more of a common name for it. The true name is GRC for Galvanised Rigid Conduit. Not that any of that helps here but at least now you guys might think I actually know something. :thumbs:

Look at my 40gB build thread under "members tanks". I just installed a DIY hanger today;)

;)

SnowManSnow;805467 wrote: Look at my 40gB build thread under "members tanks". I just installed a DIY hanger today;)

;)

And it came out pretty darn nice if I do say so. :up:

Looks good. That's basically the same as what I ended up doing. Unfortunately, I don't know what I've done with my camera so I can't post any pics. I'm sure it'll turn up in a few days though. I just used it Saturday so it's not in it's usual place. BTW, I'm a disorganized person :)

I also used a metal conduit and bent it at a 90 degree angle with a conduit bender as Sleepyreef and Kamikaze -Mike (check out his new pic's to view it). I have extra, a bender and happy to spray it for you. It's only a few dollars for the conduit but the bender is $50.
It does NOT rust or corrode and is free for your pick up.
PM me if you want it.

I was about to bend some conduit and it hit me! What about plant hangers. They're already bent, black and decorative! I think they look great for my frag display.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Here's the photo I didn't include above.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
805791=40176-ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1350412534.054889.jpg
>
805791=40176-ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1350412534.054889.jpg
class="gc-images" title="ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1350412534.054889.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

How do you keep the water from running out of the tank? :) Oh, I guess I have used that one before haven't I?

It's special water! Hopefully this isn't the beginning of the second round of recycled jokes! :shout:
rdnelson99;805799 wrote: How do you keep the water from running out of the tank? :) Oh, I guess I have used that one before haven't I?

Back