DIY reef chili!

NanCrab

Supporting
Reaction score
Was so disappointed we couldn’t have the ARC meeting where @ZapataInc was going to do the demo so asked him about it. Got these ingredients to DIY it. Pics below of our ingredients. In the process of processing all the frozen seafood. Stay tuned!!2B139ABC-58A7-487A-92C3-3CB0A99D0984.jpeg2DDD9C53-2061-4CA6-AED3-2685BD74D996.jpeg2F6467F5-82EE-4A46-841C-DBBF140D5F3E.jpeg888B4951-5C5B-4BBE-AAE8-A2CA7BC1C8CE.jpeg

There were no ingredients listed on the label, just sweet fish roe. Other roe had ingredients listed and said “seasoned”. I would think legally they would have to list all ingredients to due to allergies?

I asked our resident attorney who said the FDA requires all foods to have labels with all ingredients listed and there were none listed or there than “roe”. I’ve already fed it to my fish, they seem fine so idk.

So I agree that the FDA requires ingredients to be listed. So technically "roe" is correct - but do they list the ingredients that go into the fish/animal BEFORE it's packaged for consumption? They don't include the antibiotics and the crap that's fed to animals before it's harvested for consumption. So the "food chain" has to be considered. When I buy stuff like that, I try to find certified organic vendors so that at least I know what was fed to the animals was organic as well.

Don't get me wrong - I'm more choosy about my fish than I am myself. I don't shop like that for myself. lol.

There are two categories of food colorings- there are the approved dyes, which specifically must be listed, and the organic naturally occurring colorings like beets and wasabi that are exempt but must be noted as ‘seasoning’ or other such labeling on food products- smoked, flavored, etc..... If fish eggs for human consumption are not the color of their natural state when harvested then they probably have been altered in some fashion with a natural additive. If a label does not include a dye listed, it should otherwise indicate the exempt ingredients with words like ‘seasoned’ or ‘smoked’ or ‘flavored’ etc. Any of those words would indicate a ‘naturally’ occurring food additive. With respect to capelin or masago, most products contain additives. Also, capelin eggs are lower in protein or fatty acid content compared to other eggs which is why Reed Mariculture uses cod and or pollock eggs in their ROE product for reef tanks.

Last edited:
Well I’ve already fed it to my son who said it absolutely had no seasoning added. Zero other ingredients were listed on the packaging or labels AND I’ve already fed it to both of my tanks with no problems. BRS won’t take responsibility for my choices obviously but I did call them to ask about it because I had a bona fife panic attack over it. I’m not in a position financially to toss over $100 of food in the trash because I added the wrong fish eggs to it. BRS said it is such a low percentage of the entire contents of the recipe that regardless it shouldn’t cause any harm. Attached are pictures of the containers. And I’m “not” Asian, I don’t eat seafood and I did the best I could finding something (we, it’s really always we) went to several stores looking for unaltered fish eggs. Based on the packaging how would I ever know these aren’t just fish eggs?F0B3E213-A1C4-41BA-94FB-45FA8A915100.jpegDE9F2249-95F6-4D85-BB7A-24DE06610367.jpegEC134672-F250-4A4F-BEF0-FBA0477ECB13.jpeg9F2B9AC2-7FE3-4209-AD56-189A587533BA.jpeg

Well I’ve already fed it to my son who said it absolutely had no seasoning added. Zero other ingredients were listed on the packaging or labels AND I’ve already fed it to both of my tanks with no problems. BRS won’t take responsibility for my choices obviously but I did call them to ask about it because I had a bona fife panic attack over it. I’m not in a position financially to toss over $100 of food in the trash because I added the wrong fish eggs to it. BRS said it is such a low percentage of the entire contents of the recipe that regardless it shouldn’t cause any harm. Attached are pictures of the containers. And I’m “not” Asian, I don’t eat seafood and I did the best I could finding something (we, it’s really always we) went to several stores looking for unaltered fish eggs. Based on the packaging how would I ever know these aren’t just fish eggs?View attachment 24920View attachment 24921View attachment 24922View attachment 24923
Glad BRS was able to reassure you!

Thanks Shari! And thanks for the idea to call them. I’ve also looked on R2R and the question has been asked and answered. What we purchased was actually recommended in one of the threads I read. I’m not going to stress out over it anymore. The mix has squid, Tuna, shrimp, scallops, Oysters, dried seaweed, red and green algae, ground hikari pellets, Cobalt Marine fish pellets, dehydrated brine shrimp and mysis. Hopefully it will provide a rich source of naturally occurring nutrients for them that are also more natural for them to eat. All we really wanted was a great food for our pets. Our pets (all of them) eat better than we do!
Our toy poodle kept dislocating his kneecap, the vet said he is 2 pounds overweight and has given me a diet for him. Now I cook green beans in the instant potin bone broth and purée them in theVitamix to add to their food so they can feel full with the recused dog food by increasing bulk but not calories with the puréed veggies. I honestly don’t work that hard preparing my own meals!

I knew a reefer that fed wasabi eggs to his tank for years with no I'll effects. I think you'll be fine with this batch of food. I'm more concerned with the stpp in most of the seafood we purchase to make my own fish food. Looks good tho. :)

I had a side bar with Nancy already and recommended what I used, which was San Francisco Bay Fish Eggs. Clearly states no additives. For those wondering where to get it, Atlanta Aquarium seems to always have it in stock when I need it.

That's what's in my mix! And yep, AA always has em, but could potentially get it at Petco if those are closer.

I knew a reefer that fed wasabi eggs to his tank for years with no I'll effects. I think you'll be fine with this batch of food. I'm more concerned with the stpp in most of the seafood we purchase to make my own fish food. Looks good tho. :)

That just seems... so, so wrong. Granted, we're already feeding them fish... but may as well throw some pickled ginger and some rice too.

Thanks Shari! And thanks for the idea to call them. I’ve also looked on R2R and the question has been asked and answered. What we purchased was actually recommended in one of the threads I read. I’m not going to stress out over it anymore. The mix has squid, Tuna, shrimp, scallops, Oysters, dried seaweed, red and green algae, ground hikari pellets, Cobalt Marine fish pellets, dehydrated brine shrimp and mysis. Hopefully it will provide a rich source of naturally occurring nutrients for them that are also more natural for them to eat. All we really wanted was a great food for our pets. Our pets (all of them) eat better than we do!
Our toy poodle kept dislocating his kneecap, the vet said he is 2 pounds overweight and has given me a diet for him. Now I cook green beans in the instant potin bone broth and purée them in theVitamix to add to their food so they can feel full with the recused dog food by increasing bulk but not calories with the puréed veggies. I honestly don’t work that hard preparing my own meals!

After thinking about it more, in all reality the amount of wasabi in that is probably less than whatever harmful stuff is on my hand every time I adjust or feed my tank.

And yes, agree, I spoil the crap out of my fish. And @FutureInterest needs to come get his bag of "chunky" mix!

We spent about $50 on the seafood and another $61 on the dry goods (all pictured above). We did not add any specific reef supplements as our tank is young and we don’t have enough coral to warrant the extra nutrition. It made around 5-6 pounds and we put it into 13 quart sized zip top freezer bags as suggested in BRS video. We pressed them flat maybe 1/4” thick. It’s going to last a while! We did chop the meat twice through the food processor because the first shreds were too large for our small fish.

Attachments

• 62962E9E-65BB-4956-AA22-F95547B1F2B3.jpeg
    62962E9E-65BB-4956-AA22-F95547B1F2B3.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 17
  • 564D4B73-1AC7-4694-AA59-75956A7DC822.jpeg
    564D4B73-1AC7-4694-AA59-75956A7DC822.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 18
Back