diy reflector ???

46bfinga;36360 wrote: You can get the spectral aluminum at Aquaticco.com I believe it is $7 a sq. ft.
Got the best reflective properties of anything ive seen.

see above

thanks again for all your replies. I got the diamond plate. I cut it to size and bent it using the proper equipment. KH971 aluminum and most metals will bend as long as you bend against the grain and use the proper equipment " thanks though for looking out" - In will post pics on here next weekend so you can check out the diamond plate reflectors. Also 46bfinga thanks for the info on spectral aluminum i will keep that in mind for my next project. :)

Since our club bought a PAR meter the determination is that the reflector makes more of a difference than the ballast or the bulb. It seems that you get what you pay for in a reflector. The PFO's that I have reflect at about 8x what the PAR ratings are on Sanjay's data. The Reefoptix 3 reflectors put out about 20x the Par ratings on Sanjay's site.

Here is a link that explains what was found with different bulbs and reflectors.

http://www.bnarc.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=652">http://www.bnarc.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=652</a>

This shows what I have described. I would say skimp on your ballast and even the bulbs but not the reflectors. This is where you get your money's worth.

a&m supply in marietta has polished aluminum sheets 4'x8' for 100 bucks I made enderg60 and myself lumenarc style reflectors with this .

Dimpled polished Al works very well, i say the best, if i can find it i would use it instead of my polished ones.

Oh hell yes.... You guys just saved me about about 700 worth of luminarc reflectors....

Anyone know of a place south of atlanta that might have the polished aluminum sheet? (McDonough/Stockbridge area?)

Hounddog01;37951 wrote: Since our club bought a PAR meter the determination is that the reflector makes more of a difference than the ballast or the bulb. It seems that you get what you pay for in a reflector. The PFO's that I have reflect at about 8x what the PAR ratings are on Sanjay's data. The Reefoptix 3 reflectors put out about 20x the Par ratings on Sanjay's site.

Here is a link that explains what was found with different bulbs and reflectors.

http://www.bnarc.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=652">http://www.bnarc.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=652</a>

This shows what I have described. I would say skimp on your ballast and even the bulbs but not the reflectors. This is where you get your money's worth.[/QUOTE]

Wow preety amazing. Does anyone else have any links to MH reflector testing? I love DIY stuff but has anyone tested there DIY refectors against...

Recap, great reflectors = free light!

For what these might cost to make ~$15 each, I don't think it will be a big deal. I was about to order 8 luminarc reflectors (2 for my display, 6 more for the 3 large prop tanks I'm setting up).

Thats $800 worth of reflectors, or ~$100 if you build them yourself.

I'm going to build at least 2 for my display tank. I'll be happy to take PAR readings (assuming I can borrow the meter) after the tank is setup and running. Goal is to have it wet in 2 weeks.

Yeah i no $700 is allot of $$$. Ive made my own reflectors in the past (T-5s)and have the scares to prove it. They did not come close to the store bought parabolic jobs. I don't no how close your DIY MH reflectors will come to the Luminarc 2s. It would be awesome to find out their just as good.

I'm amazed as to the difference between the spiders and the Luminarc 2s
Its like 3- 4 Xs the PAR. You could run a 175 watt lamp that put more light than a 400 because of the reflector. If they covered a bigger area you could potentially use less lamps, fixtures, and Power.

What size tanks are you building?

75 display, and 3 more 4' frag tanks, 1 for SPS and the other 2 for zoo's/rics/softies. SPS will be it's own system, split from the softies.

I'm debating on running 2 400 20K's on the 75. The color is great, and the PAR is there as well. I'm concerned about the heat though. A chiller wasn't in the plans, but I would run fans on the canopy, and I could put a fan on the sump as well.

Maybe a single 400 with the luminarc style reflector would provide enough spread?

The 400w 20K bulb has much better PAR than the 250, by far!

As far as the prop tubs, I'm back and forth really. I was planning on a T5 setup for all, 20 bulbs in total. But with the high startup costs of the T5 (reflectors and end caps are ~50 per bulb), and now finding the DIY reflectors, I'm heavily leaning toward MH. The prop tubs are only 12" deep, I would think a 250 20k would be plenty, a 175 would probably work just fine as well. I wonder if a single 400 sitting up a bit would work fine on a 50x30" tub.... would save me even more $$$.

BTW< the 75 will be setup as a BB tank. 400's are probably way to much for that tank being a BB. 250's ought to suffice even with 20K.

Allied Metal Supply has 4x8 sheets that they will sheer for me for $100 each. I can make 2 of the large 24" reflectors with one sheet, or 4 of the 18" ones.
Mirror anodized aluminum is the material. Total cost will be $32 for the small reflector, 59 for the larger one (rivets/mogul socket included)

HOPEFULLY the 24" ficture suspended about a 50x30 vat will light it up without needing a second one.

I'm stoked about this. I can use the $400 I'm saving for initial stocking, other equipment, etc.. :D

A 24" x24" reflector will easily light a 5ft tank. I've tried it, so I know. I don't know how your growth would be though.

As far as the frag tanks, why don't you run a lower kelvin bulb to get more par? Running a 20k doesn't make much sense since you won't be looking at the stuff much. You could run a 10k or 6500k bulb and get fantastic growth. You'd even be able to step down to 250w then. The 250w iwasaki 6500k and xm 10K have higher par that any 400w 20K bulb!

Well, the frag tanks are only 12" deep. I suppose the only way to know for sure is to test out a 250 against a 400 at a height great enough to light up the tank, and see what the PAR is.

I don't want to much, and I also want great coloration on the frags as well. From what I saw (and I could very well be wrong), the 20k 400 watt bulb has as good a PAR as the 10k ushio, and will provide better coloration as well.

6500 would be an option if I had some place to color up the frags, but I don't :( I suppose I could do a tub for growth and a tub for color, 6500 on one and 14-20k on the other?

Yes the xm 20K 400w has a comparable par to the Ushio 10K 250w.

For the frag tanks to be efficient, you want faster growth. You would get this with the 6500k or 10k. The coloration will pop more with the 20k. to have the best of both worlds, I would make the growth tanks with a higher par bulb, and then add a coloration tank with a 20k. You can move the frags into that tank at the end of the cycle to color them up. It should take 4 weeks max i would think.

Well crap....Eitehr I spelled the name wrong, or I was crazy. I can no longer find allied metal supply anywhere.....they were supposed to be in or around hapeville. 411 = nothing, can't find it in the phone book. Anyone else heard of them, or perhaps has a phone number?

Found it :)

Only thing left to figure out is how to print out the template so I can cut the pieces out.

did you order the material? I want to make some reflectors too.

I would think we can print the template at kinkos since they can make ginormous prints.

Good call. I did order just one sheet, but they have tons of it in stock. I'll be heading up that way on monday to pick up at least one sheet, probably 2. Maybe we can do some sort of workshop to put these things together?

Back