DIY Screen tops

bobz

Supporting
Reaction score
A couple of people asked me about making the screen tops that I showed in my breeding forum post. They are easy to make and I have a crap load of screening. If any one needs helps and would like to come over I would be happy to help them put together the screen tops. I am in Marietta, near Kennesaw Mountain. Just PM me and if there is interest we can set up some time. A couple of images attached of the last ones I put together.

A few pics

Attachments

• A93D685E-7C63-43DA-AEFD-55B03268ABDB.jpeg
    A93D685E-7C63-43DA-AEFD-55B03268ABDB.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 109
  • DD72323E-AA97-460C-96F2-0BB6364A8CD5.jpeg
    DD72323E-AA97-460C-96F2-0BB6364A8CD5.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 108
  • 1A06ED40-A732-490B-A50E-C4157D5C7B02.jpeg
    1A06ED40-A732-490B-A50E-C4157D5C7B02.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 103
  • 1A7C4846-F780-45D2-96E0-AD18C7739855.jpeg
    1A7C4846-F780-45D2-96E0-AD18C7739855.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 98
  • CE922418-C5A3-477F-BAAB-25F55B3BFE1B.jpeg
    CE922418-C5A3-477F-BAAB-25F55B3BFE1B.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 117
I’m looking to cover 2 new tanks soon & have been looking at/for screen covers.

What I really like about yours is that the screen is black. So, I’m guessing it reflects less light, or at least is less distractive under lights?

What is the opening size of the screen, btw?

Also curious as to your availability and about how long they take to make?

My tanks are 30x24 & 24x20, Innovative Marine, in case that matters. I’ll probably use their plastic clips on the rimless glass as retainers.
Thx!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YEs, the screen is black. I don't notice much diminished lighting on my 180. The opening is 1/4" (I think) but I'll measure it and correct if that is not right. They only take about 15-20 mins to make by myself. Would be quicker with two people since the hardest part is getting the netting stretched over the frame! I'm around most days (retirement is awesome!). PM me and we can find a day/time that works. Bob

Awesome!
I was thinking you don't get much reflection off of that black screen. I'm not too worried about a little loss due to it being black.
Like you get with the commercial kits that have clear netting, which looks white and reflective under the lights. That's very distractive, to me.
I'll shoot you a pm. Thx again! Bill

Made my own for Bio cube when I took top off for light upgrade. Hard part was radius for front bow. Definitely worth peace of mind keeping fish in the tank.
94de5ec3c1a0828def5876fdcfe0bf34.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Glad it worked out!

Attachments

• E3A81E64-DD16-422D-A32C-D5D5C3C0DCD3.jpeg
    E3A81E64-DD16-422D-A32C-D5D5C3C0DCD3.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 90
You can get most everything you need at Home Depot or Lowes. Depending on the type of screening you want to use you may have to look online. BRS is the only place I've been able to find the clear mesh but black can be found on Amazon. Maybe Bob can share his source too.

You'll need the following: (Bob's 1st pic in the second post shows all of this)
Frame track: Comes in a few sizes but 5/16 or 7/16 are the most common. There's usually White, Bronze, Brown & plain aluminum colors available.
Corners: Size & colors to match the track.
Spline: Correct diameter to match screen thickness & track slot.
Spline roller: This is the tool to force the spline into the track.

Tools:
To cut the metal framing to size you'll need a hacksaw, Dremel or other saw to cut the aluminum frame.
Utility knife to cut the screening and to do the final trimming.
Scissors can also be used to cut the screen but not the trimming.
Yard stick, level or any other straight edge to cut the screen in straight lines.
Flat head screw driver. This helps to get the spline down into the corners.

Optional:
Masking tape: This helps hold the screening in place over the frame as you get started.
Super glue: I've found a little dab helps keep the spline down in the corners.

There are plenty of videos on Youtube to show you the process. The first one may come out a little rough till you get the hang of it but fortunately everything is pretty cheap and the corners are reusable if you don't damage them. Another tip is if you are going to have wiring running into the tank remember to slightly shorten the width or length of the screen depending on the side of the tank they will be on. If they're on the sides you need to shorten the lenght, on the back it's the width.

I got the kit from BRS out of convinience. Going forward I'll probably get most of the supplies from Home Depot or Lowe's. Also a Dremel could be used to make areas for wires within the frame itself.

fair warning - many fish can jump out of that 1/4" netting - after learning that lesson I switched over to the clear 1/8" that BRS sells.

Could you overlay two 1/4" netting on top of each other to achieve the 1/8" netting?

It's amazing how many times I hear a fish bouncing off the netting. One can only tell how many times it happens when I'm not around.

Could you overlay two 1/4" netting on top of each other to achieve the 1/8" netting?
sure - but why? 1/8" clear netting is easy to get your hands on.

Also - I know BRS did a video showing light blockage and the clear 1/8" netting didn't make that much of a difference. Other than aesthetics - I don't see any reason to not have a top on an aquarium that houses fish these days.

sure - but why? 1/8" clear netting is easy to get your hands on.

Also - I know BRS did a video showing light blockage and the clear 1/8" netting didn't make that much of a difference. Other than aesthetics - I don't see any reason to not have a top on an aquarium that houses fish these days.
I was only asking because if some already went out and bought the 1/8" or has already made a screen with 1/8" netting.

I was only asking because if some already went out and bought the 1/8" or has already made a screen with 1/8" netting.
I gotchya - I'm sure it could work - in my experience the hardest part about making these is stretching the screen at the right tension while installing the spline. I have a hard enough time dealing with 1 piece of screen and would get annoyed trying to make 2 pieces look right.

The screen is pretty "stretchy" as well - it would be pretty challenging to make the holes uniform.

Agree with all the posts above. I've been using the 1/4" for several years and have only lost one fish (fingers Crossed) when I found one of my diamond gobies on top of the screen in the morning. If you are keeping wrasses or smaller fish like gobies and blennies than I would definitely use the 1/8th inch screening. I use the black because it's what I have on hand and I like the dark color. Phil used the white 1/8th inch screen when he made his and they look good too. I also use plexi glass over the smaller tanks that have known jumpers. Once they settle in I switch over to screen. Has worked ok for me over the years.

Back