DIY Screen tops

I got the 1/8th because I've generally run open top tanks and would like to try some different types that are prone to jumping, gobies, firefish, wrasse etc and try to mitigate any potential involuntary suicide jumps.

Is the frame track you're using already black? I don't think I could find any black ones, would love to not have to spray paint. I made mine a few months ago but the paint is already chipping, though the plastic corners are chipping a lot more than the frame. I think I remember seeing black corners somewhere but I ended up getting these https://www.swisco.com/square-cut-flange/pd/Corner-Keys-for-3_8-inch-Thick-Screen-Frame/95-265 which are awesome because I can sit the frame inside my rimless tank and not have to use those little clip/holder things. Had enough trouble finding the flanged corners at all, I'm guessing they definitely don't make those in black. I guess I'll just try to do better roughing up the surface before painting next time.

So im thinking about making a screen soon for my tank since I had a fish jump from the tank. What do you do if you have a cord going into the tank? how do you get around it?

So im thinking about making a screen soon for my tank since I had a fish jump from the tank. What do you do if you have a cord going into the tank? how do you get around it?

I cut a corner of the corner out with a regular ol hacksaw, then sanded it a little.

Can confirm; my Home Depot has brown framing that looks almost black. They also had white and silver.

I’ve included the prices for people’s reference. I know I could get it cheaper, but I don’t have a lot of time to shop around this month. There are 4 packs of 84” white framing for $11 also, if you need more. As for the Spline Roller, there is a $3 that was out of stock, so I went with the $6 one. Screening not included... Speaking of, now I need to find a local place with plastic white or clear screening.

Thanks guys!
AA8C06D1-F6D0-4F55-823F-0DC2DFBB96EC.jpeg

thanks for showing everything im gonna make myself some mesh tops for my tank

I just picked up the framing and the corner pieces today. I have some standard window screen. What are the downsides of using plain window screen? Is the light blockage noticeable?

think i will order some as well. I've got to redo the screens over the 180 and 120. thanks!

Standard mesh light blockage is minimal. You can make modifications to adjust. They only thing you need to watch out for is salt build up you may to brush off screen periodically.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I just picked up the framing and the corner pieces today. I have some standard window screen. What are the downsides of using plain window screen? Is the light blockage noticeable?
i was wondering the same i got like 40 feet of window screen in my garage

Can confirm; my Home Depot has brown framing that looks almost black. They also had white and silver.

I’ve included the prices for people’s reference. I know I could get it cheaper, but I don’t have a lot of time to shop around this month. There are 4 packs of 84” white framing for $11 also, if you need more. As for the Spline Roller, there is a $3 that was out of stock, so I went with the $6 one. Screening not included... Speaking of, now I need to find a local place with plastic white or clear screening.

Thanks guys!

Do you know if HD will cut the frames? Cant fit that in my car without cutting

The home Depot I went to had a cutting station in the same isle with a hack saw. Also they have full kits without the screen that are shorter than a full stick of the frame by itself.

Back